VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Problems Still Haunt Me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: My Problems Still Haunt Me Reply with quote

Hi again,

Where do I start? :x

Let's see ... we've figured this much out ... in CEP2 when we open a new "stereo" file and voice record, the level comes in from the mic only on the left channel (naturally) however, the level is really good - up to 0db.

When we open a new file as "mono", the level is really low.

Even when we convert the stereo file to mono, the level drops right back.

We really don't know where to look now. We've unplugged and rerouted all the cables - tried analogue input only and yet we still have this level issue.

The recording won't go past (as a mono file) -6db.

KGenus - I know you said that's ok for digital recording and then I can normalise the v/o, but the trouble with normalising is that it then amplifies background noises that I don't want. (Like the b*__dy birds! Don't get me wrong, I live here because I'm a nature lover, but when you're recording a v/o and you hear Friarbirds or Red Wing Parrots chirping in the b/g it's not a good thing - I should charge for atmos). hehe

So, any ideas are most welcome. I'm about ready to give it all up and sell everything on ebay. This is just silly.

Thanks heaps guys,

Debbie
P.S. Hopefully all my posts won't be as depressing as this.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These problems could be in your audio chain prior to going into your computer. Still, there might be some problems within your OS software, too. I have a Windows mixer, and a mixer associated with my soundcard. In order for CEP to play nice with all of them, I've had to go into both mixers and make adjustments.

Also there could be conflicting driver issues. Check with your soundcard manufacturer. You may have to go on line and update your drivers. I've had to do that with Creative.

Also, I've had to uninstall the whole shebang, reset everything in Windows to their original default settings and start all over again. It's hunt and peck, and damned frustrating!
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Problems Still Haunt Me Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:

Let's see ... we've figured this much out ... in CEP2 when we open a new "stereo" file and voice record, the level comes in from the mic only on the left channel (naturally) however, the level is really good - up to 0db.

When we open a new file as "mono", the level is really low.

Even when we convert the stereo file to mono, the level drops right back.

We really don't know where to look now. We've unplugged and rerouted all the cables - tried analogue input only and yet we still have this level issue.

The recording won't go past (as a mono file) -6db.

I'm not familiar with your mic/preamp setup, and I don't use CEP2, but I do have one suggestion. Does your preamp have a -6.5 db switch? If so, and if it's activated, you may want to deactivate it.

Sorry if this is a useless suggestion, but sometimes the most evasive fixes are the easiest ones.

Jim
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,

Here are some things to review...

Go into the multitrack view: Look on "Track 1" and find the "In" and "Out": Click on "In" (it should indicate "In 1"). Once there you will find a list of available devices and Input options. Make sure your audio card is indicated properly then click on "stereo" if it is not already indicated.

Also, see if the switch on your mixer and mic-pre are not set correctly. Check off DC offset. Take each peice of outboard gear and remoce it from the system, then see if you can record something into AA - and if it works properly... a CD.. whatever. See if all of your Play Control or Volume Control I/O's are set properly in Windows. Then re-insert each peice of outboard gear - one at a time until you isolate where the problem is.

Now you have a basis to work from... and good luck.

Frank F
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Hmmm - Well this works for now Reply with quote

Hi Andy, Jim and Frank,

Firstly, thank you for your input and ideas. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this forum to talk to. Smile

After tossing and turning all night, it came to me that perhaps I should download another software program to see if this is only a CEP2 problem.

So, off I surfed this morning in the hunt for Sound Forge. Found and downloaded and ... it has the same problem. That is, when I record a mono track in it the levels are below -6db yet when I record on a stereo track the levels are excellent! To me it seems bizaare but I think there might be something there that I'm simply 'not getting'.

In SF I was able to convert the track from stereo to mono without effecting the levels whereas in CEP2 I'd converted and it had dropped the levels right down.

Ah ha, I found that problem was simply "me". In the conversion box that CEP2 offered the defaults were set at 50% R channel and 50% L channel and I hadn't seen that previously. So, now I have switched the levels to be L channel 0 and R channel 100% and when I convert from stereo to mono the levels remain excellent.

If this is the only way around my problem, for now, i'm happy. Smile At least i can go about my business without that level problem.

Frank - I checked all the options I could find in CEP2 and ensured all necessary bits were checked to the correct soundcard. They were/are.

I would still be interested to find out what is wrong, but as I said, at least I can now do my work.

I love you guys!

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: