VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FMR Audio Release New Leveling Amp/Compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: FMR Audio Release New Leveling Amp/Compressor Reply with quote

FMR Audio equipment pretty much speaks for itself. They only need to come up with an EQ and they've done it. If you're not familiar with this company and you're shopping for equipment, you owe it to yourself to check out their products. Funk Logic makes some interesting housings for these units.
Kevin

----
WHAT'S THE RNLA?

The Really Nice Levelling Amplifier (RNLA) is a compressor, of sorts, with a character that works well with vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitars and two-mix sources. A friend describes the RNLA's tone as "thick and gooey". Some very well-outfitted RNLA users report that even with a full complement of expensive, vintage levelling amps/compressors, the RNLA still fills a niche that the others don't!

The sonic performance of the RNLA harkens back to the Really Nice Compressor's (RNC's) origins. The original RNC was, in fact, based upon an optical gain element that was ultimately rejected (and tucked away) due to its imparting of a sonic signature (i.e., "color"). However, just like trying to throw away a ball of adhesive tape, this one has also stuck with (to?) us! What's the old saying? What's old, is new again? The implementation is a little different (i.e., no opto) from the 1984 version, but the final sound is eerily similar...

MSRP: $249US
----
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a RNC to my collection... and no regrets whatsoever. I got a nice deal also. I bought through eBay from a company in Germany and paid only € 162,= ex VAT (some 180 $) and this included shipping from Germany to The Netherlands :lol:
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you like? One of my associates ordered that RNLA because it had balanced inputs/outputs and he just won't stop talking about it. I'm waiting for the fad to wear off before I ask him about his impressions again. It'll be interested to hear what he says then....

Kevin
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
How do you like? One of my associates ordered that RNLA because it had balanced inputs/outputs and he just won't stop talking about it. I'm waiting for the fad to wear off before I ask him about his impressions again. It'll be interested to hear what he says then....

Kevin

It was higly recommended to me by guys doing the mobile Pro Tools stuff. It's a very small box (half 19 inch) but performance is big. Especially in 'really nice mode' it performs with the best in the industry. And at that price I can't think of any cons... I'm not using it on the road, I inserted it on my Pro Tools HD rig. It outperformes any of my compression plug-ins. A friend of mine modified one RNC and built it into his tube Summit pre-amp. Sounds awesome! Laugh
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Especially in 'really nice mode' it performs with the best in the industry. And at that price I can't think of any cons...

I've been using two RNC's for a couple of years now. They sit between the pre-amp and the AD convertor and are the only analog processing I use. As Edo says, the 'really nice mode' is very sweet. You can squeeze a sizable amount of compression with no artifacts at all. All this for a price that cannot be beaten. I've also heard very nice things about their RNP mic pre, but have not had the chance to try one yet. By the way Edo, it's actually smaller than that. You can fit three into a single rack unit.

Like some of the people on this board, it's small and ugly, but sounds great! :wink:

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that you mention it Mike... you're right! Three units will definitely fit in 19 inch racks. But size doesn't matter...(nope we're not going there hehe) It seems they can be fitted into a racktray with the screwhole on the bottom. (we're not going there either) Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unforunately, the RNLA doesn't have Super Nice Mode, but I believe I'll probably end up owning one in the near future. If FMR comes out with an EQ I'll be very happy. I think you'll be shocked when you hear the RNP, very shocked. It's not as quiet as one would hope, but it's worth every penny.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: