VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Been slaving away over a hot computer...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Been slaving away over a hot computer... Reply with quote

...and here is my first narration demo! Go ahead and shoot me down, I'm used to it!

http://www.vo-bb.com/demos/robellisnarrationdemo.mp3

Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen to it. Smile
Donovan
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I actually like your voice a lot.

Things I noticed:
I've been told (and read) that a demo should sound like a compilation of works you've done, as much as possible that is. Your spots all sound (to me) like they were recorded one right after the other, same day, same studio, same microphone, etc. I'm not necessarily an expert, but I'd play around with the levels some. Have one be less or more processed than the others...I think you get my drift. Just make it sound more like snippets of actual work you've done at different times, studios, etc.

Now if they all are actually snippets, then I just wasted a bunch a keystrokes. Other than that, I really do like your sound.

2 cents have been deposited.

www.DonovanVO.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most instructional or industrial reads seem to have "that certain sound" - an approach or style that is common to that kind of project - your read has some of that sound in it, but not too much.

I like it.

There is just enough of "that" sound to make your read stay within the boundaries of the mainstream, yet there is enough of your own individual style to set you apart just enough that you don't sound like everybody else.

The timber of your voice is very pleasant and easy to listen to for a long read and your speech is clear and well articulated. Nice job!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

You do have a pleasant, interesting sound and style. I would make the ending something a bit less abrupt that just cutting off the music mid-note, however.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback---any other thoughts out there on
Donovan's observation?
Quote:
I've been told (and read) that a demo should sound like a compilation of works you've done, as much as possible that is. Your spots all sound (to me) like they were recorded one right after the other, same day, same studio, same microphone, etc. I'm not necessarily an expert, but I'd play around with the levels some. Have one be less or more processed than the others..

I agree with his observation. I'm wondering how important this is and whether it's worth possibly re-recording or changing processing, etc., and maybe even renting a couple of different microphones.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I've been told something similar, too. In fact, I think at least one of the times when Donovan and I both heard this was at a Dan O'Day seminar we both attended in 2005.

However, Banksey posted a counter-point to this some weeks back, essentially noting that if the performances are excellent, it's doesn't really matter all that much.

Being concerned about stuff like this falls into the category of actor mind taffy, I think. (By the way, on this score and many others, I'm guilty as charged.)
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think I can make some minor adjustments. I tried lowering the sample rate for one down to around 22,000 and it definitely sounded different....
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the following concept
Quote:
Being concerned about stuff like this falls into the category of actor mind taffy

I guess at times I really am like a kid in a candy store! Rolls Eyes
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rellis wrote:
I love the following concept
Quote:
Being concerned about stuff like this falls into the category of actor mind taffy

I guess at times I really am like a kid in a candy store! Rolls Eyes

Rob,

If you like the concept, try clicking the bold words in my earlier post. They are linked to a superb article that I think you'll like even better.
+1-724-613-2749
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why compromise your sound quality by changing sample rates. If I'm hiring a voice I'm hiring for 3 reasons... 1. I like the way they sound. 2. I like the quality of the production. and 3. I like the consistency they can deliver day in and day out...

You have a really nice delivery especially for industrials...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: