VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CoolEditPro2 Buffer Settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigieb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: CoolEditPro2 Buffer Settings Reply with quote

Having problems with the dreaded memory buffer clicks & pops when using my UA30 USB audio interface. My Cool Edit Pro 2.0 was working fine with my onboard sound card in the Dell (P4, 2.8GHz, 1GB Ram) , but it's gone a bit south and I'm using the UA30 instead. I've also tried it with Audition, and still have the same issue (which makes sense, since it's basically the same software). I'd rather avoid buying another in-computer sound card, as it makes sense to me for the interface to be outside the computer, away from all that's noisy. Plus I already had the UA30 laying around.

I know clicks & pops are a buffer settings issue, but it seems like no matter what combination I use, I can't get it to be pristine ALL the time. Sometimes, yes, all the time, no. Annoying on long takes.

Anybody using a USB interface with Audition or CEP2, who could tell me what buffer settings work for you? I'm considering dumping the UA30 and going with a firewire interface, but am scared that I'll spend the $$ and STILL have buffer problems. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Craig
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great mysteries of CEP, in my experience. Another member here has been having similar issues. Hits, skips, and crackles crop up and then disappear. Was doing a job this morning and bam! CEP lobbed off the first part of a word.

Right now I'm set at 2 seconds with 10 buffers. By day's end it'll be something else. My main issue is a Pentium II and a lack of RAM. However, I've had this crop up on my work computer too, and it's a fairly new muscle box with a Pentium IV. To quote our host, "WTF!"
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you are almost correct... and it's not just the buffer issue your looking at as the culprit.

I have just mentioned this to another couple of board member - so let me repeat myself.

CEP/Audition likes to play with a seperate drive for recording audio. Use an external or add a second drive to your box. Internal or External is does not matter - just a seperate drive where your record/temp directory is located.

USB 1.0 et al, is not fast enough for audio (really?) USB 2.0 is almost capable of doing audio, BUT make sure you are not playing back at the same time you are recording. Many soundcards (USB variety) drop to 8 bit, 16000 Hz, when playing back and recording at the same time.

I understand USB audio devices are tempting due to their cost, but come on folks, get a life and step up to plate - this is your business - bite the bullet. I use a MOTU 828 MKII when on the road...along with two 250 gig HD's (firewire). NO problems yet! (Knock on wood). The Firewire 410 is about $300 or $400.00 and there are a variety of other devices available.

Also, is your PC optimized for audio? Make sure you do not have ANYTHING not necessary in the start-up menu (the icons at the bottom right of the task bar). Especially any Anti-Virus stuff - it will destroy your ability to record audio. The same goes for being on the NET when using a laptop - it takes up too much of your processors ability to work.

Frank F
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer right, Frank. For me I've been in denial about it since I set up shop. In my case, I could install another driver in "Ol'e Bessy" and dedicate it to CEP. But I'd still be dealing with an old processor. Thing is, the fellow who services my box could build me a custom box with everything I need for around $400.

I guess those two and a half decades in corporate TV have rubbed off on me.
The, "Can ya squeeze another year out of it?" request has become my mantra. :oops:
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Maybe you should dump CEP? Reply with quote

Well, I don't know squat about CEP but I am wondering if it is the culprit because I never have any audio problems and I don't use CEP.

Here's what I have...

E-Machine with AMD Athlon XP 3200+
512k ram
160 gb hd

I have everything you can imagine on one harddrive, from video to games to whatever. I have 48 running processes in the background, which includes an anti-virus program and I am hooked up to DSL all the time.

Maybe Cubase would be a solution for you. I am actually using Cubasis VST LE, which is a lite version that came with my Emu 0404 soundcard.

Nick
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Cool Edit and Pro Tools are the editors of choice in this business, and there are other more sophisticated ( and more expensive ) digital waveform editing/processing suites out there -- But, why not try Goldwave?

It works well, has the necessary tools for voice over, and at only $42 the price is real easy on the budget.....oh yeah, Goldwave also has an online forum where you can get help and advice from other users. The main man, Chris, also checks in and gives his guidance when needed. He is also quick to respond to email requests for assistance if you should ever need it.

www.goldwave.com will get ya there. It is a quick download and relatively intuitive and easy to figure out. It includes a file converter to turn your wav files into any number of other useful forms such as mp3, aiff, afc, ogg, flac, wma, if, au, voc, mat and a few others.

It has a usable compressor/expander and a decent noise filter that actually works pretty well. All in all, a good value for the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: