VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit the one year mark this week. The plan was in my head, and pretty simple. If, within six months, I could generate enough income to cover my investment in the studio gear, computer upgrades, and the subscription fees to V123 and IV, I'd stay with it. I hit my goal and then some by Christmas with a few hundred to spare.

Year two is a more focused direct marketing strategy while weaning myself from the virtual talent marketplaces which have become overly stocked with hungry fish.

Some weeks are pretty depressing, while others have been excellent. And after more than 100 gigs, while not "giving up the day job", I only have one non-pay to speak of.
nick reed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Business Plan Reply with quote

If you can get ahold of the book "The Art of Voice Acting -second edition" by James R. Alburger, there is a business plan outline on pages 218-221.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Business Plan Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:
If you can get ahold of the book "The Art of Voice Acting -second edition" by James R. Alburger, there is a business plan outline on pages 218-221.

Borrow the book, don't buy it and ignore the advice, or if you're into imaging ..... Bbbbbbbbborrow THE bbbbbbbbbbook ..........................................................................................................Don't buy it efffffffffffff emmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
(whisper) and ignore the advice.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Banksey! Knock it off.
It's a very good resourse book for people who are new to the biz.

James is a Good Guy, too. The kind who answers email.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Business Plan Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Don't buy it efffffffffffff emmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
(whisper) and ignore the advice.

LOL ... beautiful.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My book is much better, includes replies to emails and photo's of me out for a walk near Portgordon harbour. I remember that day well, nearly got run over by a speedboat.
scooter2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: business plans Reply with quote

I hope these words of wisdom fall on caring ears.

I now luxuriate in the world of semi-retirement after a lot of years making bucks with my voice.

I still make a buck or two with the vocal chords with a minimal amount of marketing, but marketing it is and in my mind, marketing is the name of the game.

In the voice business I never had a "business" plan but always worked with a marketing plan, one that is still updated to keep pace with the change of things in the v-o business. I follow the adage "plan your work, wprk your plan."

I can't fault Banksy for his views on how few make a buck in voice-overs but I have always thought, and I teach, that in ANY business..5% of the workers make the really big bucks..15% make really good bucks, 10% can scratch out a living and the rest are bottom feeders. I believe those figures hold true in the v-o biz as well.

While never having been in that rarified atmosphere of the 5 per centers. I have had my share of those other numbers.

I guess now I could be counted among the bottom feeders but that is because I ahave turned into a lazy slug..and I love it.

In closing..if you want to do it badly enough, whatever IT may be. You can..so go do it.
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good advice above. Just a little something to add. If the business plan is being put together to borrow money, always remember, "the bank is your enemy, never your friend" (God, how I wish I had listened to that advice over the years.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: