VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Publication of audio books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Publication of audio books Reply with quote

A friend who has published a couple of books is interested in putting out audio versions, but it sounds like her relationship with her print publisher has grown unsatisfactory so she isn't going to them for help. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where she should start finding out what is involved?

Thanks for any help.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she could go to the Audio Book Publishers website and contact some of the members to see what is involved. The URL is www.audiopub.org/
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 'basic' idea is to go to a large bookstore (or library), and check the audio books they have, to scoop the info of the distributor, studio, etc. from the back. There may be one close to your friends' area. Or you could do it for her - on the condition that you'll be the voice, natch!
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary -

I've been recording the work of an Australian author named Wendy Laing since 2002. She recently went through a similar situation with a publisher, and decided to self publish. She's never looked back.

The key is getting the word out, and what better way than the net? There are scads of public forums to which you can subscribe - one of which is Author's Den (http://www.authorsden.com) - through which you can also sell your work. Do as Wendy and I do - you record your friends books, get them up on eBay and Amazon - put up links on your websites. Start simple and "grow it" from there!

Wendy handled the application process for all the ISBN's, (http://www.isbn.org), we do all the duplicating and packaging in our respective studios, Wendy retains all the rights to her work, and we make money!

The only downside that I can see might be that if you're interested in selling in Barnes & Noble, Border's, etc..., from what I've been hearing, they are not too keen on selling independently published titles. Hopefully this will change, because there's some darn good stuff out there that they're missing. We actually prefer selling on the net - you reach far more customers!

Since Wendy and I live half a world away from one another, we decided to "divide and conquer", so to speak - she handles Australia and Asia, I handle the US/UK/Europe sales. We've been selling on eBay primarily, and after roughly 2 and a half years, we've sold a little over 400 books. Self publishing does involve doing some extra work - well worth it when you start to see the fruits of your labor! >^_^<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: