VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best booths to consider when moving is a distinct possibilit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Best booths to consider when moving is a distinct possibilit Reply with quote

Any suggestions on which type of isolation booth would be best when the need to move to a new location could present itself at any time?

I'm a single senior who lives alone in a rented condo and would have to hire help to assemble/disassemble.

Thanks.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of your concern can be solved by the location and kind of dwelling you rent. Whatever gives you the fewest neighbors, especially above you, and the greatest distance from environmental noises will help. Lack of children is a plus. When you find a place that interests you park in the parking area during a time you might record and listen for problems.

As far as booths, if your new place is not horribly noisy I like the looks of George Whittam’s quasi booth. Easy to assemble and modify and much cheaper than full blown alternatives.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, on the dwelling. When I found this normally very quiet village and moved into this condo in 2010, I chose this particular unit in because it is on the end of a building, so I'd have neighbors on one side only. All buildings are ground-level, so there's no one above or below, and there are no children. Early on, the landscapers would typically arrive on Monday mornings but, weather would affect that, naturally.

I'd previously known about the municipal airport that handles small aircraft only, but didn't know how close it was (2 miles), and I'd completely forgotten about the three military bases within 25 miles; the closest being 9 miles. I'm apparently under the incoming flight path and, while flights don't happen on a regular basis, sometimes the sound can be quite scary, especially when it's overcast and the clouds bounce the noise back down to the ground.

But, even though the place is insulated well enough to keep the living area dry, and the heat and cold are kept out, even wind and rain are easily heard. And, recently, my next door neighbor began using what I can only guess is some sort of physical therapy machine, and its heavy motorized whirring sound comes right through the wall.

Apart from all that, though, the place is delightfully quiet. And I really have few, if any, other options at present. I'd never find another suitable place for the rent I am currently paying. So, I either try to find a do-able booth, or I have to continue forgoing live sessions. The Russian Roulette stress of booking sessions and then hoping they wouldn't be suddenly interrupted for unknown periods was killing me.

Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love George's booth but it wouldn't help you with the planes and neighbor's equipment. I used to have that stress, too, until we built our own portable booth that we knew we were going to have to move. It ended up making 2 moves for us before we built the forever booth in the forever home. It solved so many problems of living in an old house right on the road. It wasn't fancy but it sure saved us money and gave me peace of mind.

My experience of using a whisper room and being very aware of all of the noise from the room it was in convinced me we needed to build cheaper and more effectively.

Good luck in your search. Whatever you choose I know you are going to be happy with the results. Keep us posted!!

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at what George Whittam offers (the "quasi" booth). I already have a very good acoustical space: a free-standing "enclosure" comprised of two ClearSonic Sorber panels and some velour theater drape. But, while my Sennheiser 416 helps considerably, because the space is open at the top, ambient sound easily gets in.

What I need is the ability to reduce as much as possible some of the occasional sound from outside sources. So, for that, I will need a fully-enclosed booth with a door. Some say the Studiobricks is relatively easy to assemble and disassemble, but I'm hoping to hear from others who own it, as well as comments from others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: