VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pop filter for 416
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYCVO21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Pop filter for 416 Reply with quote

Looks like this is the only option https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181606-REG/the_hook_studios_thpf842s_front_address_pop_filter.html?sts=hist-pi&pim=Y

But I can swear I saw something more like a traditional pop filter that fit a 416, in a photo. Something like this https://www.zenproaudio.com/roxdon-hpf-2-pop-filter?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3smABhCjARIsAKtrg6LCjQ9QlvQZHk6lEurdLa-AQz7_cSDxiIRJXZfNm7lvfZAM4FH-3gQaAg0yEALw_wcB But Zen Audio told me it doesn't fit a 416.

Know of any options?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not an answer - but another question.

i've never understood the need for a pop filter with the 416. since it is supposed to be addressed off axis ... where does the plosive come from?

maybe it's just me - but i've never had a plosives problem with this mic.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do exist, and there are several types including "blimps", foam, and screens.

Here is the issue: They are NOT "pop" filters as we understand them. These are windscreens. Designed to reduce the amount of wind noise when doing EFP/ENG.

Do you need one? IMO - NO. Why? If you are inside your studio it is unlikely you will be having gale force winds interrupt the VO (that is of course, unless you have a very strong HVAC system inside the booth).

If you really feel you really want one let me know and I will send links to the myriad of windscreens for a shotgun mic.

F2
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hook filter but it's unnecessary with a 416. Off-axis address, as noted above, is all you need.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I believe the capsule is located about midway down the length of the barrel, placing it 5-6 inches away from the end you speak into.

dwpthe3rd
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HOOK shotgun pop screen (comes in double and TRIPLE layers ) damned well works.
Aside from the 416 (I use it on a AKG ck8) it fits any similar-diameter mic... I have it currently on a Neumann km84 (a stunningly honest but severely plosive-sensitive small cardioid) as a compare-and-contrast experiment with the 102 against several other other small diameter mics as a voice option test. including a collection of AKG 535.s with the grille head removed.
It's fascinaitng to me how the frequency and shape and sound of the proximity bass boost happens with different mics happens.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I've always used a metal gooseneck filter unless I'm traveling and then I use the stock foam one. I guess you guys do make a good point...it probably isn't even necessary. There is no wind in my studio and I am not puffing at the mic. I have gotten plosives even with a filter if I am not off-axis...but that isn't how I use the mic so it doesn't happen really.

Is there an audible reason to go bareback?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason writes: "Is there an audible reason to go bareback?"

Answer: Yes!

Foam windscreens attenuates the sound coming into the diaphragm,
Mesh - metal, filters can (and usually do) reflect the sound and diminish the pressure of the sound waves. Non-metal, fabric, windscreens often reflect certain frequencies and can muffle sound if too dense.
Other filters, such as blimps, also can diminish the sound waves and adjust or attenuate the frequencies involved.

Going naked allows the microphone to work at it's full potential.

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going naked allows the microphone to work at it's full potential.

i could not agree more! also, not using a windscreen or filter helps too.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides that it is more roomy and fresh in your studio. And, we look good too!

F2
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an A/B test and I couldn't hear any difference at while using a metal mesh gooseneck filter. I DO however like the larger visual I get on the mic so I can tell that I'm not moving around and make sure that I am always in exactly the same spot. Harder to see the front of that tiny little shotgun mic to make sure I'm always sitting at the right proximity.

Plus...it's too cold in my studio for all that.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason seta second mic up in front of your filter. record a tone from a very directional speaker. Use a spectrum analyzer to "see" the reflections.

Then let me know your thoughts...

F2
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I guarantee there is a difference...just not enough for me to want to give up the safety net that I'm positioned correctly on the mic. I listened critically with my DT 770 PROs and while I kind of might have a tiny little bit heard a minuscule difference, it was nothing that I couldn't attribute to a small difference in my inflection or speaking volume. I'd be willing to bet that no one listening without scientific tools would be able to tell me which was which if I gave you a wav file Smile
Nik S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party but for me 416 angled down pointing at the noise hole is the way to go for sound AND avoiding plosives. Back end of mic at top of head height, front end at tip of nose height, overall pointing to between bottom lip/chin. Because of the height even fairly strong plosive blasts miss the mic's tip plus it gives a good space for script etc.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - completely agree. Not much need for a pop filter if you position the 416 carefully. For 20 odd years, I've had a love/hate relationship with this mic. Just now, I'm loving it again. Maybe it's just nice to have a change from time to time. On balance, I prefer a good U87, but it needs to be in a great room to get the best results. The 416 is a little less picky, but then your technique has got to be spot on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: