VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you for the last 5 years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Thank you for the last 5 years! Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thank you to all of those on this board who have helped me on my journey. I first posted in Oct 2016 in the critique section. The feedback I got was honest and essential to my growth. I took Philip's advice and had a few Skype sessions with him and then coached with Nancy Wolfson for the last two years.
More importantly, I listened. And I listened to everyone saying that this is a marathon not a sprint. I learned to respect those who are successful in this and started to understand they have the best intentions.
I don't post much here as those with more experience have much better advice to share. But I still come regularly to keep me grounded.
I am now going into my 5th year and really starting to make a success of this. I even waited until last year to have my first professional commercial demo made by Nancy and her engineer. Here is the link if you have the time to listen:
https://static.wixstatic.com/mp3/c99b4f_12bec54a7a35463c83e9b1ec6e423353.mp3
But most of all, I just wanted to say thank you all, once again. You really changed the trajectory of where I was heading.

British Voice Over

Last edited by craigsvoicetalent on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that five years ago? Crap... I feel old.
I always say that it you can actually do this VO thing... it's still going to take you five years to get a strong foothold in the business. I know how important this place both was (and is) to me. Grounded is a good word.
Well done.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been doing this "vo thing" full time for 20 years and still feel like i barely have a finger hold --- never mention a FOOT hold. but ... hey ... i see guys digging ditches in the rain ... so there's that.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
... i see guys digging ditches in the rain ... so there's that.
My anchor point was always when I went into Manhattan for a gig. I used to get the train... and as we approached the city we went through some railroad marshaling yards. Loads of guys in hard-hats and orange tabards out in the snow or rain doing things that railroad track workers do. That sight always grounded me and made me grateful.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m so glad you found support you needed here. Once again, mission accomplished.

Very nice demo too!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And amazing how 6 years in and I am still learning lessons.
I never really liked this demo. I didn't like the process. I didn't like that I wasn't actively involved in the scripts. It just didn't feel like me.
I relied heavily on my coach to do all of these things for me, thinking that they knew better. I didn't speak up. It was not their fault. My coach was a fantastic coach but I was scared to raise any issues. That is on me.
But I learned. I was fortunate that I had a good enough year that I had spare cash to replace this demo. In doing so, I found a great team with Rob Bee in the UK. I got involved with the script-writer. We went back and forth for a few weeks before we both agreed we had what we needed. The recording session was a collaborative joy. Input was given, reads were changed and performances were tweaked. The collaboration extended to the choice of some of the music beds and the order of the final demo.
The outcome? Something I am proud to put out there. Something I don't need validation on. Something that is me.
For anyone who is just getting ready to have their first professional demo produced, please take heed from my mistakes and make sure that you are an important part of the whole process. Your demo is "YOUR" demo. Please don't forget that very critical point.

British Voice Over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: