VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Store announcements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Store announcements Reply with quote

How much do store announcement jobs pay?
What would that fall under?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you'll find your answer on aisle 6, in between sportswear and intimate apparel.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Store announcements Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:

What would that fall under?

That fall under the Blue Light Special!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago I voiced "in-store announcements for several grocery store chains in the USA and Canada. I made it simple, as the job was very simple also, charging a flat retainer fee for the month for "X" amount of these blurbs.

To this were add-on's or fees charged for the number of "spots" above the specified amount, emergency sessions, music mix, etc.

Just be creative. Adjust your fees based upon the amount of work you expect on a regular basis, then time to complete the weekly/daily gig, and allow for changes to the rates if necessary.

I could knock out 20 to 30 of these in a half an hour or so, and there were usually only 30 to 40 a week (at most).

So what "category" would this fall under? I have no clue. If you are referring to union rates or similar fee structures, look under "miscellaneous", or industrial non-broadcast - short run - local.

F2
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Store announcements Reply with quote

In the early years as a studio I worked with a VO who I believe we were on a retainer. One day a week he would come and and knock the out bang bang bang. We would be recording 1/4 inch. It dawned on me that I should stop the recorder and restart between each bit so New York never knew how quickly we knocked out the session. He was good and rarely ever needed to do a retake. Some of the easiest money I ever made.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did them for stores like Bradlees and Ames, which have been out of business for so long, I can't possibly remember what I was paid. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie Terwilliger does a lot of this work. Email her and see if she might give you some usable guidance. Tell her the wags of the VO-BB sent you.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clean up aisle number 5" Priceless

dwpthe3rd
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-union work is usually negotiated by the page - at least that is the way I do it. I charge more for any marketing type announcements. In-store specials and the like. "Customer needs assistance to women's dressing room 4" is not marketing.

A page is (regular 8.5 x 11) Times, 12, standard Word margins, double space. About 25 lines per page.

There are no residuals. If I got money every time someone pushed a button to call for help, or passed by a sensor, I'd be in a different tax bracket.

The GVAA rate guide addresses this under IVR/ On-Hold. They suggest a minimum, plus X per prompt. And no editing. I bundle everything into my page rate - a minimum fee per page that includes finished files. But a "prompt" can be 1 word to several lines, so that is why I go with a per page system.

I did have a per prompt rate for one client that sent me messages of the same basic length - thousands of them for the past 16 years. I worked out a retainer with them. Unfortunately that job ended last month when they sold that part of their business to another company. I will probably not be contacted by the new company to continue that work...but boy it was a good run while it lasted.

Union work is a per hour rate - and is covered under the corporate non-broadcast contract. There is a 3 month and 6 month usage limit for store-casting, but I am fairly certain that is intended to apply to the marketing material. I have never done any in-store stuff through a union contract, so I can't answer that question.

Depending on the client and how long I have been working with them - I may or may not charge more for On-Hold stuff for their IVR systems. But since I do provide full production for On-Hold, I charge a studio fee for that work as well. And the On-Hold messages change fairly often, and they are charged again.

Just today I had to remove the words "Save 25% when you buy today." from 5 sets of On-Hold messages. This meant review ALL the copy against the existing raw files (5 messages per product), recording any new words, editing out other words as specified, and then re-mixing for delivery for the next 2 months...when I may have to put back "Save 25% when you buy today."
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now *that* is a solid answer, Ms. Terwilliger.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew that would happen!

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie has "digital tape" all over the cutting room floor now.

I hope you marked the ones which said "Save 25%...." with red marker tape.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: