VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Is it just me? Reply with quote

Being single, living alone and already dealing with the anxiety and depression which, I learned, goes hand-in-hand with my ASD, the last four years have left me both angry and terrified. Now, further compounded by not only Covid-19, but by what has been escalating since November 3, I have become, essentially, frozen.

I cannot focus on much else besides completing jobs. I cannot engage in what's necessary to work on my website or any other marketing-related tasks. I've never watched a lot of television to begin with, and the typical half-hour evening network (national & world) newscast is encapsulated depression, full of disclaimers (aka commercials) for drugs I should ask my doctor about.

I cannot motivate myself to exercise properly and even the idea of listening to music doesn't float my boat. So, I often wind up sitting in silence.

Gee, Wally.* I sure hope things get better soon.

*A reference from a happier time

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A straight answer... No, it is not just you.

In my opinion there are two types of people... those who will admit to these feelings of anxiety (to a greater or lesser extent)... and those who suppress and deny these feelings. No one is coming through this unscathed (regardless of specific viewpoints).

As far as work goes... most have managed to keep the businesses going... some have even attacked hard and made their business grow (although far less than self-reported in social media I think). My own motivation for marketing has waned because pushing my services to a struggling marketplace didn't sit right with me. Many have taken to selling stuff to other VOs to bolster income. At times I'm OK with it... at other times I think there is a special circle in hell for them.

Being motivated can be difficult... and it is absolutely OK to embrace this in whichever manner works for you. I sit in the basement beating the living daylights out of a poor, defenseless guitar (while the TV stays off). I stress eat. Sometimes I watch an old movie. The most important thing is that I don't let my lack of enthusiasm for marketing or polishing my website give me stress or guilt... because that just compounds the issue.

Buckle-up and weather the storm however you need to and don't worry about feeling frozen.
This too shall pass.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy! You are not alone. Many are feeling the exact same way. And, it sounds like you have some things within that make dealing even more difficult.

But let's look at this from a bigger perspective. I have observed that many have reacted to Covid the same way they react to anything in their day to day that disrupts. And, I have observed many who wake up each day with gratitude, even during the hard times brought on by this pandemic are dealing much better. It isn't easy turning that switch on and off even for people without ASD, and I can only imagine how much more difficult it is for you.

But let me try to give some perspective that might help. The number one thing that will get you through is to find the gratitude. Now, when one is feeling depressed and lost it is hard to be grateful. But you have tons to be grateful for!

* Let's start with the fact that you are not sick. I'm assuming you have not gotten Covid. OR, if you got it you survived. Either case, that is something to be grateful for!

* You have whatever machine to read this forum right now. The concept of a home computer or smartphone was science fiction fantasy during the last pandemic of 1918, if people could even comprehend the possibilities of what today's computer provides. Anything even slightly comparable in 1918 would have been considered a luxury item enjoyed only by the most affluent. Today people who call themselves poor have some device and the internet. With your machine you can keep in touch with family and friends, listen to great music, learn a new language, read great literature, watch endless hours of broadcast and amateur content, and more! And, you can continue with your vo pursuits, from competing for work to connecting with the vo community. In 1918 people didn't even have radio to enjoy and distract.

* The industry you are most interested in is the only acting genre that not only continued with Covid, it thrived. I have many acting friends in NY with no work in sight. Several of them have contacted me for advice to get into vo so they can pay their bills. Their financial panic blinds them to the ridiculousness of their request. Yesterday I got a call from a friend who was in a long running Broadway show that had no end in sight pre Covid. (side not, Broadway sounds romantic but NY theater has never been a very high paying way for an actor to make a living) He asked me to assist in getting him into vo. I set him straight by turning the tables. I asked him if things were in reverse, that for some reason the vo industry shut down, would it make sense or even feasible for me to ask him to get me into a Broadway show to make ends meet? He got it.

* You are pursing vo at a time when there has never been more vo opportunities in the history of broadcasting and show business. If Covid had hit when I was starting out, struggling to compete in animation, promo, commercials on just the 3 networks and few local stations that we called the television industry, the possibilities would have been far more bleak.

Yup, this pandemic disruption has been challenging. But it was far worse in 1918. Many today stressed at the lack of toilet paper. In 1918, many in our country didn't even have a toilet. They didn't have 24/7 news to know what is going on in the world. I could go on and on how much better it is living through this today than 100 years ago. But gratitude, my friend, will getcha through!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) You’re not alone. Millions are feeling the same way.

B) Considering what’s going on around you, your reactions are perfectly reasonable.

C) Things will get better, I.e. a vaccine, less bomb throwing in Washington, and the trick is staying healthy mentally and physically until then.

I suggest people. Contact friends and colleagues from now and years past, just to say hello and ask how they’re doing and wish them well. Don’t kvetch unless they invite you to. The results should be positive overall.

Is there someone local you can meet outdoors and take small walks with? Except when the weather is awful, outdoors is better than indoors for well being.

TV can be a help at times like this. Laugh out loud shows like Big Bang or Barney Miller can lift you.

We’re in this together.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another life I am involved in the Mental Health field. So, that said, you are not alone (in my inadequate professional opinion).

Get some sunshine, Yes, I know it is winter, by closing your eyes and sunning taking a few moments looking at the sun through closed eyes) can help beat the "blues" - often called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder); which this year is not so seasonal.

I wrote an article on this which may offer some clarity: https://safesolutionsnow.com/winter-blues-or-feeling-sad-its-more-than-a-mood

Suggestions listed above are also a source of changing your mood. This year the numbers of issues related to being confined have increased exponentially and each of us need to help fight off the doldrums by offering a listening ear to those in need because all of can use the help. It might just change our attitude for the better also.

Reaching out to others is a good way to keep in touch and keep your spirits up. The VO-BB is always a good place for a laugh or a cry and more importantly a touch of camaraderie. For me, I go out and talk to my cattle. They will not argue with me, and they do say "Moooo" a lot, but it keeps me less sane.

Laugh Out Loud. But, don't forget to cry as well. It is a good thing.

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They didn't have 24/7 news to know what is going on in the world

sometimes, and for me personally, i think this is the worst technological "advantage" we have. i agree wholeheartedly with "going outside". you may not have cows to talk to, but leaving the tech at home and feeling the sun on your face, i think, is a cure for a lot of ills.

tomorrow i'm shutting down at noon and leaving for the farm. barely one bar of cell service and no internet or television at all until sunday at sundown. i will hunt. i will sit in the woods and watch the sun come up - hear the woods wake up. first the birds, then the squirrels ... so many squirrels, then the turkey clucking over the hill, a neighbor's rooster a mile or so away, a woodpecker, maybe a bobcat who looks at me as i look back at her - she walks slowly away because she knows how insignificant i am. if i'm lucky a deer ... then lunch. at around 2pm, back to the woods to do it all in reverse.

it works for me. it connects me ... makes me happy. ymmv, but if you ever want to try it ... i'm a phone call away.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, while you are gone practice learning Angus.

Moooooo, moo, mooooooooooooo.

It will relax your brain like a good mantra.

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am conversational in angus & polled hereford, and can get by in Limousin -- but i knew a Limousin bull once who would rather fight than talk.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to learn "Mountain Lion", but they are a bit catty.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: