VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of company logos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Use of company logos Reply with quote

What is the general consensus on the use of company (client) logos for marketing purposes on one's website?

Legally, it seems permission would be required (use of intellectual property), but has anyone sought permission and has anyone been asked to cease and desist?

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never asked for permission for logos, demo usage, etc. And no one before the internet did, either. Post internet none of my peers have changed and (or) stopped using anything that best markets our career. And no one I know has ever been asked to cease and desist. I have heard some in the non union world being asked to remove this-and-that. But in the world of union vo, the buyers are both flattered and appreciative of the free PR.

That said, agents and buyers are now privy to the lack of clout a logo actually has on marketing. As has been discussed elsewhere, a Burger King logo could mean you were the National Class A commercial voice of a Burger King campaign, or you might have done there corporate IVR. Unless the logo comes with proven clout in your marketing, most will just roll their eyes at a vague usage of a logo.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logo parades might impress your friends or other VOs, but they generally mean nothing to buyers. In fact, if anything logos will lower your credibility. If you've done an industrial for GM, why not proudly say it (or better yet, show it)? If you've done an IVR for Toyota, why not say so? Tossing out a logo without context is meaningless.

If you are marketing to your friends and family, then context-free logos might work. If you are marketing to potential clients, then show them how you can help.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question you should be asking yourself is: "Who am I targeting on my website?"

I agree with Bob and Jack. If you're an A-list talent or on the path to becoming one, the proof is in the pudding. You should be providing examples of your work.

If you're a beginner or a journeyman talent who doesn't desire to pursue large market work, then, yea, it's OK. If all you have are examples of IVR, eLearning or industrial it would be assumed/noted that's the type of work you provided to the companies you have listed.

Also, the vagueness, as Bob eluded to above, may actually work in your favor when marketing to local and regional buyers. They don't have the acquired knowledge the top shelf professionals do and the logos just may provide an elevated perception of your status as a VO. "Holy smokes, the voice guy I got did work for Burger King, Marge!"

As I worked my way up the ranks and swung the marketing pendulum from one side to the other, I did learn presenting higher level work tends to scare off local and reginal buyers. They may feel intimidated or that you may be too expensive. You could lose long time buyers because their perception of you has changed. Burger King may be unrelatable to owners of Jim & Chuck's Boot Shop.

But, whatever you do, keep it clean, organized, and simple.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, Jim & Chuck's is good boots.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been of the opinion that I do not desire to advertise FOR someone else's business. I really do not like having (a car company's) logo's on MY vehicle. I do not "like" having logo's on my clothing, my shoes, my shopping bags, my etc.

I do not represent Sennheiser, Sony, Panasonic, Neumann, etc., and the companies do not pay me to place advertising anywhere. But I understand their desire to have their logo's on my equipment.

So putting another companies advertising on MY website diminishes my ability to advertise ME.

O.k., some are going to say they did pay you if you did some VO work for some specific business. Yes, I was paid. But NOT to market their company for anything other than the advertisement or narration or... I was involved with. My agreement goes no further.

Ask yourself, is your name brand on THEIR website? Would they advertise your name or brand? Not likely.

Choose your poison. You and I have freedom of choice and I am not the one who is going to tell you NO.

It can take a lifetime of marketing to create a reputation, but only a split second to lose that brand momentum in a potential client or clients eyes.

One logo on your website of a specific company, often means you won't get gigs from their competitor.

ThiMk (yes, I spelled this correctly) - and LIVE your brand every moment of every day.

F2
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer offering videos of national spots I've done instead of logos on my website, i.e. Samsung, Legos, Wheat Thins, Target stores. I also have smaller and medium sized client videos on there too to show range.

I guess I'm kind of a smorgasbord or salad bar of voiceover, now featuring a sneeze guard for your protection.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I'd rather be a smorgasbord than a one-trick pony. Even within genres, I try to show range. Range is the life-blood on the modern VO; and where range is lacking, variety can fill the gap.

Plus it makes for a more interesting work life.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the old saying goes "Variety and Sporty are the spices of life."
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Posh of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: