VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Over Conferences
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Voice Over Conferences Reply with quote

For those who have never seen the video in the link, whilst 10 years old and not a VO job, I believe it to be my best work ever. AWARD? NO! Not even a Twix! It's supposed to be a review of VOICE 2010 in Los Angeles, review may be stretching a point.

If you have about 10 mins to spare, enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/479804466

Learning point? Philip could not have predicted how bad Voice Over Conferences would become. The good news is that the majority of the people I met there are still very important to me, the rest REMAINING PORTION OF POST CENSORED
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolute must view! My review of Mr. Banks review.

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i laughed, i cried, i had gerbils in my shorts!
new york times

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly you do not like vo conferences, which you have made crystal clear for years. Not really sure the purpose of re-posting a 10 year old review, or mocking attendees, but perhaps with Covid and quarantine this felt like a relevant re-post. After 9 months of this viral life disruption I cannot think of a more needed event than a vo conference. Actors are starving for some sense of proactive normal. If anything, we all need something to look forward to. I think fond memories would be far more needed than a negative 10 year old review of a con that no longer even exists. But, I'm sure some will find value in that as well. Many thrive more in a glass half empty. I have found gratitude and choosing happiness far more healthy and appealing.

VO cons have evolved quite a bit since 2010. Back when we were allowed to gather I attended many business conferences throughout the year. Not so many vo cons, but a variety of business cons. I always leave with a lil something. Some better than others, and some offered just a tiny nugget of new. But even that tiny nugget has value. Value is a relative term as all are in different places in their career. And, I have found that with each year each repeat con got better and better. Of course not all. Some I abandoned as their business models shifted away from my business model. But, like the dozens of vo classes I took in my study days, I banked the benefits and disregarded/didn't dwell on what didn't work.

A few years ago I was invited to attend WOVO, a con I had heard negative things about for a long time. But, I was asked to take part, as well as some other colleagues whom I have the utmost respect for. I found WOVO to be an utter delight and chock full of value. I sadly had to leave early due to wild fires in LA. But I'm glad I attended! It would have been a crime had I allowed the negatives to keep me away when invited to attend.

There will be a day when vo cons will return. When they do, I have no doubt they will be well attended by happy people from all vo shapes, sizes, and career landscapes. If invited I will be there to join in on the much needed celebration and sharing of ideas.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, clearly you do not like people who criticize vo conferences. As you and many of the people you admire make a good side income from teaching I see the pain your ox is suffering at the hands of Mr. Banks.

As you glancingly acknowledge there's a lot of self-serving drek served up at many of these events and one has to be careful to select and cherish the rare nuggets to be found. I can't speak to the quality of all the major conferences, but I know what I read from professionals who have attended and reported. It's a buyer be wary world out there. Faffcons, God rest their soul, while not perfect, were great examples of what can be right with a VO conference.

And yes, Philip's dry and often absurdist humor is an acquired taste (much like Earl Grey tea) but some of us appreciate his slant and can enjoy his views, and others can just leave them be.

By the way VO instruction is NOT dead in the land of Covid as exemplified by the listing elsewhere in this CHAT folder of classes available now for free and cheap, and not at $300 per hour like some people we know. Wink

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with people taking issue with anything. It's the need to do it in such a negative way publicly that I take issue with. Certain things I cannot "leave be." I have seen people emulate what they view as professional behavior from others on social media, only to find this damage their career.

As for my rates, I agree with you I am indeed expensive. This was intentional. I don't want beginners to waste their time and money on me when not ready. I've turned down many who were still happy to pay my rates, but I just could not take their money in good conscience.

Also, my private rates are comparable to my 8 week workshop rates. I charge $1000 for 8 weeks. I take 8 students per class. Each person gets on average 20 minutes of mic time per week, as well as an evening on the business of the business, which when taught in itself I charge $300 a day. If you factor in the one on one time I give in my one hour privates (which always go over an hour, more like 75-90 minutes...which I do not charge extra for) $300 is a damn good value. But, not for everyone. And though I do not feel the need to justify my rates, it's fair to inquire why I charge so much.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with, and often enjoy, Phillip’s postings, even when I don’t agree. And I see nothing but courtesy and intelligence behind Bob’s postings, which to my mind and experience offer considerable wisdom. Both of these accomplished men offer their perspective, and I’m glad there is a forum for such measured expression.

Bob, I hope you don’t mind me adding one more note, which you never asked for and, I expect, never would: I recently purchased an hour with Bob for someone else who I thought could benefit. She told me it was extraordinarily satisfying and useful. I could afford it, and I wanted to do it for her.

I think it’s great that some people offer free sessions, though I think it’s fair to say that their hope is that you will purchase more coaching. Certainly, Edge Studios is a for-profit enterprise, and I have no problem with that; after all, my own work is decidedly for profit.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed VOICE 2010 in LA and Faffcon in Harrisburg was a delight*! But I can do 10 minutes or more "Stand up" pretending they weren't.

On the point made about Bob's Coaching. He has stood and worked where the the people he coaches (teaches) want to stand and work. $29.95 and two Burger King vouchers for an hour or more on the inside track on that? Not going to happen is it? Never about cost, it's about value.

*Except for Cris Dukehart trying to make me eat!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 year old after 1st day of school: it was GREAT, i loved it - we had art and math and recess --- WOW!

mom: that's great! i'll bet you're looking forward to going back tomorrow!

5 year old: WHAT! i have to go BACK!?!?

i went to a conference once. it was an extremely grand experience. eye opening, even. i made many good friends, and a few great ones. did i get anything "professional" out of it? i don't think so. but it was fun and i can recommend it for that.

it's like getting blasted on absinthe and wandering bourbon street in someone else's shorts ... everyone should do it once.

try to skip the NOPD dist. 3 holding tank, though. the breakfast is sub-par.

i think bob is a super guy and (if) i were into animation, i would take one of his classes if he came back to st. louis, and if he let me.

Last edited by todd ellis on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: "Who am I"?

newbie: "...great to meet ya, dude". "See ya."

F2
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss people. The one work related event every year I truly enjoy is Promax. It's like a reunion where I can catch up with my VO friends, agents and producers over a drink. There's usually some sort of workshop at the end of the week, too.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, gosh, I remember this clearly now. And 2010 was the inspiration for FaffCon.

I probably have a photo of us somewhere...I think your eyes were open.

($50 well spent! Hilarious.)
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:

($50 well spent! Hilarious.)

No IT WASN'T! It was negative!

On the positive side. The late Sunday breakfast was fabby! So much laughter.
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds of a photo op between Bob and Philip? Gotta be at least 2-1, right?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll put $5 on the over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: