VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone Roundup - Your faves
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Microphone Roundup - Your faves Reply with quote

It's been a while since we've done a mic preference roundup. I'd love to have you join in. It'll help those who may be itching to upgrade or make a lateral move.

First, what mic do you use most of the time... you're "go to" mic for most work?

Second, what mic or mics (if any) do you also use as a backup, or for a different feel/sound?

Lastly, what mic (or mics) have you used and would like to own but just haven't made the move. We all have fantasy mics, but I'm looking for your actual experience please.

----
I'll play...

I've been using a Sennheiser 416 shotgun for almost everything these days. Commercials, narrations, animation and video game characters... everything. It's tiny bit richer than other mics in my closet and it just works on all those performance styles for me.

My backup is my 20-year old GrooveTube AM11, the bottom of their line back then. It's a traditional big diaphragm mic and works like a champ, and on those very rare occasions when the shotgun sounds "odd" to me I'll use it, but frankly, I have a hard time telling the difference in the results.

I've used a Manley reference mic and a Neumann U87 and really liked them but I also had a feeling the very expensive pre-amps in those studios may have been part of the thrill. Maybe we'll do a pre-amp roundup later?

Thanks for joining in!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .

Last edited by Bruce on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every day I use a 45 year old Neumann U87. My stunt mic is a 23 year old Neumann U87ai.

Mic is plugged into my Yamaha mixer which provides Phantom Power, My mics have phantoms, apparently. Tried multi billion dollar invisuless pre-amps and I sounded exactly the same except with less money in my business account. Interesting to note that in a blind test Mixer power v tube pro musical harmonics and free sandwich and Coke pre no one could tell the difference including me. Everyone simply posted AWESOME, just to be polite, thank you for that act of kindness.
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For E-learning/long-form narration, I've been using either a Heil PR40 or PR30 (the PR30 sounds richer) most of the time. I do have a 416 but use that sparingly.

Other mics that I have and have used are the Rode NT1A (works well with my voice), CAD M177 (mellow and even), M-Audio Nova (warm but VERY hot signal), AT2035 (mixed feelings on this one), and AKG C4000B (not a big fan and am thinking of ditching this). I also have a Sennheiser ME66 (very low noise floor but kind of too bright at times).
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 416 for pretty much everything. I run it into the John Hardy M1, which to my ears (and for my voice) is the best pre. A musician friend loaned me his once and I immediately sold my Avalon (also a good pre) and bought the Hardy. Side note: I had a problem with the gain switch on the Hardy, and John himself got on the phone with me and had me overnight it to him at his expense. I had the repaired unit back the day after along with a heartfelt apology for the inconvenience. No excuses, he just said his crew had made a bad solder and that he was mortified and would make damn sure it didn't happen again.

I had a U87ai for a while but my room at the time could not handle it (as beautiful as they are, U87s hate small rooms). Maybe some day I'll replace it but that would be for fun, not necessity.

Also have a lovely Gefell UMT70S, but my better half has removed it to her studio in the main house, so I might as well write that off :) Truthfully, she sounds better on it than I do.

Another mic that sees occasional action is the Vanguard V13. Amazing sound, but it's a tube mic and thus just a little too noisy for many VO applications. I never had a complaint while using it, but that slight noise bothers me, and most of the stuff we do in yanking our vocal chains is really just to make ourselves happy.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loved my Vintage U87 Purple Badge since I bought it, lost it, recovered it (it was stolen during a move). Used with a Maag Audio EQ4 with Airband and/or a B1 Bomber it is delicious.

For many things however, a Rode NT1-A with mods sounds just as nice and it didn't cost as much.

I have longed for a Sony C-800 since I used one on a project and as soon as I started speaking the director keyed up the talkback and said: "OMG, you sound like the voice of "DOG" (backwards of course)".

I have found little use for some microphones which is another subject to discuss at a different time.

And, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

F2
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Mics Reply with quote

Main mic at the moment is the GZ251 FET. That going through the Cranborne Camden 500 and the Burl B2 makes a nice chain.

Second mic is the 416 which I use more when seated for a longer session.

Have used a U-47 once in a session and have dreamed of one ever since. Used many U87 ‘s but only liked the vintage one!

Would love to get a Soyuz 017 FET but maybe next year.

Frank, Stam Audio sells a Sony C-800 that sounds like the real deal, but at less than 1/5th the price. You might check it out!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott thank you.

I had to go look and... the SA-800 is "out of stock" ooops - now it is "sold out".

Guess it is my luck, but I have bookmarked the page and will return.

Dang it.

Thank you again for the lead.

F2
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stam is available on Reverb right now.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
The Stam is available on Reverb right now.

Yes, but that Stam mic is in Spain.

I actually have a new one that is for sale, but I think it would be better for Frank to get it directly from Joshua at Stam.

Not sure if Chile has a customs agreement with the US. It does with Finland so there is no customs fee for us to import from Chile Smile

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what my early Xmas present is....

Three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Thanks Jack!

Edit: With fees that mic would cost $3,450,00 USD. I think I will wait.

I am not in a big hurry, but I am willing to give it a try.

F2
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is listed for 1650.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://reverb.com/item/34548675-stam-sa-800-black
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s funny that it did not show up here in Europe on my Reverb page. Good find Jack !

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tempting, but I don't know the C800 other than by reputation. I did see a sweet vintage (1983) U87 for around 3500... But there's no way I'm shelling out that level of buckage no matter how it stokes my lust.

For gear.

Just so there is no confusion.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I looked at prior to your second post was in the UK, import fees and VAT would be less than desirable.

However, I cam going to call on the US listed mic. I at least want to see how it fits my style.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: