VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that VoiceBank is no longer an option...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Now that VoiceBank is no longer an option... Reply with quote

where does one go to listen to current, competitive demos?

A former radio coworker who had also been doing some VO work in the NYC area about 20 years ago wants to join the fray, but she's admittedly way behind on everything a home VO-preneur needs to know. I figure, hearing some examples of current sounds and styles will be a good starting point.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first stop would be the reels found on the top NYC Talent Agency sites.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the VoiceCasting Hub?
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you!

Something I forgot to mention: my coworker had agency representation 20-ish years ago (I don't know who). I'm sure she's going to want to attempt to get another agent, perhaps fairly quickly. Now that there are so many in the field, are there "rules" for how to go about getting agency representation these days?

Thanks!

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the rules are pretty-much the same as they always were... with the minor change that there are now a number of agents who keep as large a roster as possible and simply forward emails. There is usually a very low barrier to entry for these rosters.

These are the only two methods that have worked for me:
1) Have an interaction with the agent via networking and personal contact. Have other people speak well of you and smile sweetly. They will come to you (with or without a small nudge).
2) Check the agent's website and follow the demo submission rules exactly... to the letter. Be selective... not all agents are created equal.

Unsolicited emails and demos go in the bin. Agents usually get far too many to deal with and simply don't bother themselves with the soul-destroying task of listening to (literally) hundreds of awful demos per month.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you've compared your demos and body of work favorably with the top agencies, which most people I've talked to after they've asked this question DON'T do; and assuming that you have decided that you really do *need* an agent to achieve your goals, then listen to Bish. You have to find a way to make a real connection since emailed submissions *might* eventually get a quick listen but in the same way one glances at junk mail. Occasionally something clicks, but usually not.

Toward that end, here is what I have done and what I have seen work with colleagues:

1. Most fail-proof way: Bring along big clients. This is not available to most (it was not available to me my first go-around). Citing that ongoing account with McDonald's will open most any door.
2. A very good way, AKA "Bish Method 1": Have a buyer, industry icon, or trusted coach (trusted by the agent, that is) talk about how you are simply aces. This is likely to get you a meeting. This is how I hooked up with my second (and current) big agency.
3. Attend workshops where agents are the guest speaker. Usually you will get to read for the agent. These used to occur in LA only with the occasional NY one, and nothing beats actual face-to-face interaction; but now they are online and you can attend from anywhere. I got my first big agent this way and I have seen it happen repeatedly. If you show them something different or fill a need in terms of type, you'll likely get a meeting.
4. *Don’t* succumb to fallacies such as “only people with connections” or Factor X get meetings with agents. You are responsible for finding a way to earn an agent’s attention. There is a large class of VO talent who rail at unknown forces for years and years, quietly seething at “the breaks.” Don’t be among this class.

Once you get this meeting:
* Handle every interaction professionally and with “belonging." Write and speak from a place of confidence rather than the hat-in-hand or insanely entitled approach. Seems obvious, but I am aghast at the basic missteps I’ve seen. Be succinct, clear, and respectful without being obsequious. You are entering into a professional partnership on equal footing.
* Know that you are likely to be hip-pocketed at first. They will be judging you on talent, sure, but also on timeliness, attitude, and all the other markers of pro behavior. Amazingly, at least me, there are always Pocketees who can’t be bothered, or who half-ass their auditions, or who otherwise demonstrate their unsuitability.

And, of course, use the folks on this board. Ask the ones you trust (esp ones who have been around for a long time as opposed to upstarts like me) to review your plans, your emails, your demos, your workshops.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose you're going to tell me that kidnapping the agent's grandmother and demanding a table-read is wrong? agree to disagree.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we wonder why the market is flooded with talent...

We, I do too!, offer this kind of advice for free for all to see.

For any upcoming talent reading through this, Todd Ellis provided the best, easiest, and most successful route to gaining an agent.
Ninja
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter, Dan. Most will ignore any earnest advice unless it is both earnest and effortless to employ.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoicecastingHub is not a reliable resource. Many of the info is out of date and obsolete. I just surfed my name and found it on my agent's listing. It's a demo that has not been used in years. I called my agent and found out they never posted it. Nor did they ask to be a part of the site. It even lists agents/vo departments that have either gone out of business (WME) or have been sold and (or) changed names (Abrams Artists has been A3 for a while).

There really isn't a resource as good as legacy Vbank for researching demos. But you can always check out the corporate websites of the top vo agencies: CESD, SBV, Atlas, AVO, A3, Dean Panero, DPN, Innovative, ATA, VOX ( LA) CESD, Arcieri, A3, Buchwald, Innovative, Paradigm, Stewart, Atlas (NY)
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
Great! Thank you!

Something I forgot to mention: my coworker had agency representation 20-ish years ago (I don't know who). I'm sure she's going to want to attempt to get another agent, perhaps fairly quickly. Now that there are so many in the field, are there "rules" for how to go about getting agency representation these days?

Thanks!

The best way to get an agent's attention is by referrals. But not a fellow actor! You want a referral from a buyer: CD, ad exec, producer, etc. If you put "seek representation" in the subject line, you might as well have said, "dump this demo." But "referred by" and it must be an impressive referral, will get you listened to right away.

The body of your email is as important as the demo. Short with a burst of personality. A list of recent work is vital. But not just a laundry list. Anyone can lie on a resume. And today's top agents see through that word "client" or that list of corporate icons on a voice actors site that represents "clients." A Burger King logo could mean anything from a corporate narration to a radio spot to a national commercial. And if non union, all that national commercial means to an agent is if it's still running it comes with huge conflicts that ties the agent's hands for current fast food opportunities. Not to mention that non union ad comes with zero residuals. Not a big selling point for the agent.

SO-instead of saying, "Recent work includes: Burger King, Folgers, Kroger," etc., list the players that come with these credits and specifically what the credits are:

Recent work includes:
Burger King, radio Chiat Day Advertising Joe Schmoe, writer/producer
Folgers, online ad Leo Burnett Advertising Betty Schmoe, writer/producer
Kroger, corporate narration Jon Smith Productions

This is a business about relationships. The more you bring with you the more value you bring to the agent. If you come with buyers whom the agent knows, you are an easier sell with that buyer's next round of auditions. I you come with new buyers, you bring the agency the value of new relationships.

Agents no longer develop talent. Talent needs to come with a substantial body of work TO represent.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:

Unsolicited emails and demos go in the bin. Agents usually get far too many to deal with and simply don't bother themselves with the soul-destroying task of listening to (literally) hundreds of awful demos per month.

So that's what I've been doing wrong.
How does one in the midwest strike up any kind of relationship with an agency so that they can get 'em their demo?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:
Bish wrote:

So that's what I've been doing wrong.
How does one in the midwest strike up any kind of relationship with an agency so that they can get 'em their demo?

Read what I wrote above. Trust me, if your demo is brilliant, if you come with an impressive referral, and a recent body of work/ list of buyers you've worked with, you will get an agent's attention. You may not get represented. But they will take a listen. But you need to bring value beyond a good demo and a desire to be represented.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to strike up the relationship yourself, you can have someone *with* said relationship do the striking. Of course, this means you must cultivate a relationship with the "insider," which can be done by:

-Working for a producer with the relationship
-Getting coached by an insider who can honestly recommend you
-Attending virtual workshops with agents/producers

Unless you are already taking bookings away from them, agents pay attention to strong referrals. It's really just like any other business in this way.

Of course, there are a lot of coaches and would-be insiders who are full of...it. Using the peeps on this board is a good way to help wade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: