VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COVID v ISDN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would use Source Connect just as Source Connect. If I replace the ISDN, it would be with ipDTL. I wish it were possible to port my SPIDs to the ipDTL service, rather than using the L.A. ones they assign you. I hate to give up 236-2001 and 236-2002, not that it really makes any difference.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: COVID v ISDN Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:

Should I cancel my service?

Ask your service provider if they will suspend your account till needed to stop any bleeding as a COVID request.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISDN lines are dirt cheap (less than $100/month)- so I'm keeping it, but I can count on one hand the number of ISDN sessions I've had since the Rona hit. However- I also only got rid of my home's landline telephone three years ago...so, there's that.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISDN lines are cheap as well - $100 month. Haven't used them since Covid hit. Haven't decided what to do. I'll wait to see how the rest of the year plays out. In any case, if I do drop them I'm going to keep my (212) numbers.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic brings up an interesting question. With the advent of C-19 and all the issues we see related with the "bugs", why is there not MORE work being done via ISDN (and other related tools)?

I mean, advertisers have not stopped advertising, some videos are still being made, trailers are still being created (mainly for TV videos), radio and TV promos have not stopped being created, animation has not stopped, marketing audio and video has not been curtailed, etc. Where has the studio quality audio via remote locations been mis-directed?

TV and radio people are doing work from home via the likes of Zoom, Skype, and other WebRTC products with "dubious" results - where has the quality level gone?

Just asking....

F2
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
This topic brings up an interesting question. With the advent of C-19 and all the issues we see related with the "bugs", why is there not MORE work being done via ISDN (and other related tools)?
There absolutely is!
The issue is that it's with Source Connect etc.(not ISDN). Every studio (or talent) who dumped ISDN because their need dried up, Verizon withdrew service, or AT&T started to charge them the best part of $1K per month have pulled heavily on SC (who, at one point, were buckling at the knees). Talent who normally went into studios have built VO tents (I hesitate to call them "booths") and where a "quality" remote connection is needed, SC is requested. For a studio to ask a previously non-connected talent for ISDN is a pointless exercise. Remote connectivity to talent has exploded... simply looking at a Facebook page for a VO community that was previously focussed on in-studio work shows that. The Voice Actors of New York group is a perfect example... hardly a day passes without someone asking questions about setting up their new studio with Source Connect! New clients who want a remote connection simply ask for SC... only my existing "old school" clients still have ISDN... and even they have SC as well (I think... I need to check). Like others, I'm hard-pressed to think of a sound reason to keep it. Yeah... $87 per month isn't a lot... but (as doing my recent taxes highlighted)... that's still over a grand a year... for what?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there is more work being done with Source Connect, less with ISDN. That could largely be due to the fact that so many studios had to close their doors, at least to on-premises talent. And the installed base of studios is mainly what drives the demand for ISDN. I suspect that the engineers from many of those studios suddenly found themselves having to do their mixing remotely from home. Same goes for all the talent who previously had to go to a studio to do their ISDN sessions. So many of those people, especially in the big markets, who had never done so before, had to set up to work from home, and it is likely that they couldn't get ISDN installed even if they wanted it. But they all probably have internet connections and things like Source Connect and ipDTL are readily available. I'm guessing that of all the available options, Source Connect is the one most of the studios have opted for.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish: Two words: Boat Anchor.

Lee: Then where is/are the quality levels? Source Connect/IPdtl and the like tout quality though I do not hear it in today's work ethic.

I see several national talk shows anchors working from home on Zoom - and the quality (both audio and video) suck. Another newsie organization uses Skype, a celebrated talk show has become so bad that the anchor people are actually doing the switching (camera selection, etc.) via Wirecast, OBS Studio or even Zoom. But then again, I do not watch much television.

Interesting isn't it?

F2
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as Ex, Bish & Moe: about $87 per month.
Everytime I say..."OK, time to dump the lines"...I get a call for it.
So..not yet.
Although no call for it since the pandemic.

I also have Source Connect and ipDTL, so just another tool in the toolbox for now.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
TV and radio people are doing work from home via the likes of Zoom, Skype, and other WebRTC products with "dubious" results - where has the quality level gone?

I was watching Dateline (or 20/20, or 48 Hours... so many crime shows, so... much time to watch them...), and my ears perked up immediately during one of the voiceovers. It literally sounded like he had recorded in a bathroom...

Two sentences later, and the VO was back to normal.

Because I is smart, I realized that this high profile in-show announcer (might have been Dennis Murphy, or Josh Mankiewicz) needed to do a pick-up during the pandemic... and clearly did not have the equipment necessary to do it from home. And no amount of engineer processing could hide that... (there was another glaring "home pickup" later in the program, too).

You'd think they could have at least sent him a Port-o-Booth, or something. Ninja

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:
... You'd think they could have at least sent him a Port-o-Booth, or something. Ninja

For two lines you could drape a towel over your head to cut reflections, or make a quick "pillow fort" in a bedroom. I don't get how big time folks sometimes miss this.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because big time folks never had to know any of this. They never had to know that they had to know anything, so they don't even know there's something missing that they don't know. They just know they went into work and talked into the mic and now they're doing the same thing from home. The rest of it? The fact that environment makes a difference in the sound? How it makes a difference? What "reflections" are? Or a pillow fort? Or that a towel is anything other than something to dry themselves with? Anything else? Not in their consciousness, nor anywhere near it.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to say because they don't give a s#!t ... but X said it better.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
They never had to know that they had to know anything, so they don't even know there's something missing that they don't know.

In this respect, they're like many other newbies.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. but this was a "Dateline" type show with network reporters who should know better. Whatever.

I still remember having a polite disagreement with a sound editor on the movie "Lightning Jack". They needed me to drive down to Tucson from Phoenix to redo my one, lonely line. Too much other noise during an action sequence I guess. They had me in a sound studio with some sound deadening. The scene was shot outdoors with me at least 15 feet away from camera in an alley way, announcing we had shot some notorious bank robbers. I back up from the mic a bit to sound a bit like I'm yelling, which I did in the original shot. I at least got a bit of bounce off of the hard surfaces. He gave me a hard time for trying to recreate exactly what I'd done. "You don't have to yell and you don't have to back off the mic". Sheesh.

It's been ages since I've seen that bit, but I remember thinking at the time my "big line" came out meh.

Oh well.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: