VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Processor Short List
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick reed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I am ashamed to admit it but I have already bought two mics, practically on a whim. :oops:

When I ordered my mixer from Musician's Friend, I went ahead and got a Behringer B-1, because, when purchasing $200 or more at MF, you get free shipping, so I felt that I was saving shipping cost on the mixer and getting a "discount" on the mic... if you follow my reasoning. Well, there was another reason that I impulsively ordered it. Coincidently, I had a friend who wanted me to record a meditation CD for him, so I needed the mic. He did the vo, I did the recording only. He will be paying me enough to cover the cost of the mic, so it made sense to go ahead and get it for this project.

Then, a few days after I got the B-1, I said to myself, "man, that tlm103 anniversary edition sure looks cool", so I bought it. Here, my sick rationale was that I didn't want to buy a $100 mic and then a $300 mic, and later a $600 mic, only to eventually buy the tlm103. So I figured that I saved at least $900 by doing this! If I sent the B-1 back, I would have saved $1000, which would have made the tlm103 FREE!

So, a mic is not a problem now, I have one for each hand! Wait, I don't need one for each hand. What I need to do is make up my mind on a preamp and I'll tell you, my head is spinning with this decision. I do not want to wind up with two preamps! Right now, I am leaning toward the SPL Channel One, with the TL Audio 5051 being a contender.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I love your logic.

Glad you're here.
nick reed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Nick, I love your logic.

Glad you're here.

Thank you Mary, I am glad to be here! And BTW, I agree that the Behringer UB802 mixer is an excellent bang-for-the-buck unit.

I got a Soundcraft Compact 4 because it was specifically designed for use with a computer. It has some knobs and routing that cannot be found on other brands of mixers. For $100, I thought it was a pretty good buy too. It's well made and fairly heavy, so it has enough natural weight to stay in place... I like that.

I thought that I had done my homework when I started buying equipment. The mixer was my first planned purchase. Now, after continuing my research on gear, if I were to start over, I would do it differently. Primarily, I would go with a mixerless solution, I think.

There are a number of voicestrips or channelstrips that would allow one to skip the mixer. The mic goes into the voicestrip which has both a mic and a line input usually, as well as gain, eq, compressor and sometimes an expander/gate and limiter. The output of the strip goes right into the computer. Then the computer outs go back to the strip and you can monitor through the headphone output, latency free. Ta-da!

Or at least that's how I think it works. Confused A budget example of this is the Behringer VX2496 ($100).

BTW, while we are in the area of best-bang equipment, in case someone is shopping for headphones, I want to mention what I would consider a best-buy headphone for $100... the Sennheiser HD280pro. Waybetter than the "industry standard" Sony 7506 if you ask me. I actually got to listen and compare these against the 7506's, and at least half a dozen other models of headphones. The Senns are more comfortable, seal out much more noise and have a much better tonal balance... and they are the same price as the 7506's.

Here is a link to the HD280pros...

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/full-size-headphones/sennheiser-hd-280-pro.php

Here is a link to a full-size headphone comparison... including the HD280's

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/full-size-headphones

I love to shop for toys, hehehe...

Nick
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

No need to be ashamed of that choice, somehow you've avoided the heart ache most of us went through to develop 'that' logic. I remember my first voice coach saying he was going to ask me to write a review on mics for all of his students because I was wasting so much money "upgrading" mics.

Check out www.gearslutz.com. There's lots of differing opinions and lots of alternative hardware/equipment. You'll find deals on used equipment which may be in the price range in which you're looking.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: