VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempting to market via social media: a lost cause for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth is great, but almost completely out of your control. The only way to influence them is to provide superior service. How do you provide superior service? Become a superior talent with fast turnaround.

Be great
Be available
Be easy to work with
Be grateful
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Dan, Thank You! profusely.

We must live our brand, live our marketing, live our own hype. One second of any small failure to do so can destroy our marketing image which took years to craft.

F2

Edit: Found this quote thought it might be apropos here:

"If you do what others do, be it advertising or something else, you will never win.

A person who follows someone else in a race, never has a chance at winning the race. He's got to go in a different path than the person in front of him in order to pass him".

Dr. Amar Bose
1929-2013

SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bose didn't know much about auto racing.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Los Angeles, New York City and Harrisburg PA I did a thing for VO people titled "First, you have to think differently!"

Around 4 did, some tried to copy what I did, while the majority went on to pay for complete nonsense and a $3,000 demo made by a former local radio guy who is fluent in the accepted language of voice over coaching "Fortune Cookie".

https://vimeo.com/437373048
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Bish wrote:
VOs who present themselves as "interesting" on social media do so (mainly) to feed their own egos and appear important to other VOs. The impact on their career (insofar as it relates to the acquisition of wealth) is negligible - or as Jack says, negative. Unless you are selling stuff to the hordes of VOs who have a slim grasp on both reality and their wallets, social media should be simply for fun and frustration.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had a ton of success with social media marketing yet, but I have had some- and it builds credibility, especially with younger clients just starting out.

The most intelligent framing on social media marketing I've found is definitely from Gary Vaynerchuk although none of it is VO-specific.

Check out Gary Vaynerchuk's "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook", it provides what I think is a great philosophical approach to what the hell we're all doing here (as social media marketers)

basically in boxing, we all want to know the knockout punches (the right hook, the big ask, the thing that brings in the big bucks, the haymaker that wins the day) but a boxing expert is looking at the jabs (the things that provide value while asking for nothing in return, but put your clients in a position to being more receptive to your big ask or "right hook")

Hope this helps?

-Ian
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when *they* do it, otherwise intelligent people think that thinly disguised desperation will turn buyers' heads?

As for perceived generational differences, susceptibility to the latest social marketing Discovery is inversely related to a buyer's responsibility level. The more responsibility, the more one will rely on bread-buttering criteria over hype. I think that as younger clients come into their own, they will sacrifice their "Gen Whatever" cred for real credibility.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw out a name of someone who crushes at VO content for social media, and that's Brent Allen Hagel.

He does a ton of demos of him in-studio, breaking down copy, giving tips and tricks.

Though he's not just a voice-over talent, he runs Trailer Voice Artists and is looking for talent and all that, and does some pretty great training through RealVoiceLA, so it makes sense that he isn't just trying to get in good with casting directors, though I'm sure that's a by-product as he demonstrates authority in the field.

As luck would have it I got him on my podcast, the All-Voice Media Podcast.

(Shameless, I know but I think it's a pretty great episode for learning movie trailer technique)

(Phillip's episode's coming out soon too!)
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two refreshers when seeking out coaches or anyone claiming authority on social media in videos or blogs:

This:

Bish wrote:
VOs who present themselves as "interesting" on social media do so (mainly) to feed their own egos and appear important to other VOs. The impact on their career (insofar as it relates to the acquisition of wealth) is negligible - or as Jack says, negative. Unless you are selling stuff to the hordes of VOs who have a slim grasp on both reality and their wallets...

And this point from Philip in a recent Tweet:

"Sadly the majority people who claim to be #voiceover coaches appear to be unable to answer very simply questions or show any real evidence of successful application of their techniques. There's no such thing as an awkward question when you are paying for knowledge."

https://twitter.com/TheVoiceoverist/status/1281886951851937792

Flash vs Track Record

Go with Track Record every time. Do not hesitate to ask for or seek out actual work examples (trailers, promo, commercials, narration, etc. not just demos) and a list of successful students who have excelled in their genre for verification.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
Check out Gary Vaynerchuk's "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook"
I would rather poke hot needles in my eyes than listen to another utterance from that obnoxiously annoying so-called "guru" of self-promotion. For those who have never heard hime... he makes Joe Pesci's character in the Lethal Weapon movies seem calm and understated. Ten~fifteen years ago he was all over the internet (on the TWiT podcasts and stuff like that)... seriously... I'd rather have Gilbert Gottfried whisper sweet nothings in my ear.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when LinkedIn groups were the only acceptable integration of voice talent and producers in a public forum, the way to be noticed WAS to respond to problems, comments, issues with witty or helpful comments.

There were many people who simply tried to solicit jobs (you still see that on Facebook groups - me, me, hire me! Just PM'd you. Check out my website for demos) and it was nauseating.

I made a lot of connections by responding without asking for work - particularly on the eLearning and specialized production groups. I never visit LinkedIn these days, so I don't know what the current protocol is there now.

However, if I was looking for a specific person in that area, I might do some research on LinkedIn and look up their profile and then follow the bread crumbs to their website - some have contact information listed - and contact them OFF the LinkedIn platform.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
iannyc wrote:
Check out Gary Vaynerchuk's "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook"
I would rather poke hot needles in my eyes than listen to another utterance from that obnoxiously annoying so-called "guru" of self-promotion. For those who have never heard hime... he makes Joe Pesci's character in the Lethal Weapon movies seem calm and understated. Ten~fifteen years ago he was all over the internet (on the TWiT podcasts and stuff like that)... seriously... I'd rather have Gilbert Gottfried whisper sweet nothings in my ear.

Lmao hilarious
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:

However, if I was looking for a specific person in that area, I might do some research on LinkedIn and look up their profile and then follow the bread crumbs to their website - some have contact information listed - and contact them OFF the LinkedIn platform.

This works, and how I got on one production company's roster last week. LinkedIN for company name and list of people working there. Website link from there and read up on the company's projects...and Hunter.io for email naming conventions if needed.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hi-jack or not to hi-jack,

Several years ago at PROMAX in New York this TV promo for CNBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pd0SIRs9mc

Was used during a session as an example of good promo. It was deconstructed and each component analysed for its contribution to the overall excellence of the piece.

I am NOW, Philip Banks TOP promo voice over coach, in a sense. In a completely made up untrue sense.

When I saw the pictures this was my creative process. Don't do anything Philip, you'll distract people from the story. I didn't shut up, I simply sounded as if I was about to,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: