VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Voice Over Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear... I do understand that in some niche VO areas (trailers etc.) a manager (in addition to an agent) is necessary. The models are closer to those used by working screen actors. As many of you know, my step-son is a stage and screen actor, and he certainly has both. I absolutely accept that there are a number of managers working in these niches and they are part of the route to market for the VOs they work with. Where I have a problem is where some managers have crawled out of the woodwork and have started to present themselves as valuable assets for the regular jobbing VO... even to the point where they are saying that if you're in eLearning... you need a manager. This is where I have a problem... they are attacking regular VOs with pitches about fame and fortune.

But, if that's not bad enough (IMO)... they are also subverting the role of a manager... who should be looking after their roster, promoting them to casting directors and whoever else can get them work. Not so in my experience. I have been approach on at least a dozen occasions to audition for jobs that have come from a "manager" (either directly to me or via one of my agents). As I'm signed with none of these managers, why am I getting the audition? Shouldn't they be serving their clients to the exclusion of ... me? It seems that they're more concerned with picking up a fee for the job than serving their roster. If a manager is giving work to people not on his roster... then why is his roster paying him? Why not call him what he is... an agent who offers some management services and who doesn't play by the rules that agents have to. I just find the whole push into blue-collar VO distasteful and unnecessary. They are creating the perception of a need... and this "need" is all smoke and mirrors.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said - voiceover is not one thing.

paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Dan. My other "thing" sometimes gets in the way.F2

You mean, like a nap?
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow...a paddyo sighting!

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some who do not know, I have another vocation - other than VO. As such it takes time away from my favorite things. (Yes, I fell asleep.)

Adding to the discussion, as it is... Many people find the "manager" idea inviting and even profitable. Many more do not. The Fab Four as I will now coin them have offered their services, as of today, I have not found a use for such services. My other métier offers certain benefits and associations in areas which I would normally not be able to access.

IF a manager is a manager and is seeking new recruits, it is unlikely they are worthy of the moniker. Elvis and Frank Sinatra had "managers" AND agents. Most popular VOists have agents. There is NO combination of both. Adding an agent and a manager is not profitable. Ten percent (or more) to manager for life, 10 -15% to an agent (with special fees) and add union dues and fees - I see a healthy amount of income being blown away by a rash decision and hope for riches.

Voice Over Talent do not need a "manager" or "agent" (although an agent helps sometimes) to reach for the stars. What IS needed is a desire, fortitude,some aptitude and WISE business acumen. Success is not magic - it takes hard work and determination with a lot of earned skills.

Voiceover is not just an art/talent it encompasses business, management, marketing, and so many other skills to be triumphant. There no short-cut or quick-fix to find your joy.

Whatever you want, wants you! We (including me) just need a plan to find out what we want. For the up and coming VO's, choosing a manager or not is your choice - (to quote an old movie) "choose wisely". Be careful what you wish for.

F2
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often need to spell out to people what works and what doesn't because there is a problem unique to our business. Many of us sound smart but in reality if we saw a sign "WET PAINT" we'd give it our best shot.

We confuse hyperbole with wisdom, opinion with knowledge and posturing with superiority.

Because I was married to Anne, a Psychologist who would try out the latest "thing" on me I know exactly how I tick. If anyone in our business wanted to spend some money that would equip them for life they need to book a couple of sessions with a Psychologist. 1 Know thyself and 2 Know themselves. Be the best that you can be. Shout woot awesome at everything is no way to go through life.

I spoke to one of the founders of the Management Co to which Peter has alluded several years ago. I accepted everything he said along with the price tag.

"Fabby. Now what exactly will you do for me?"

I asked him 3 times. He made a noise. I listened carefully. At no point did he address my specific question so I started to bid him a cheery farewell.

Our business has deteriorated to the extent that people will argue with mathematics and facts supported with evidence. Such is the level of insecurity amongst the perceived great and the good that their only responses, at best are vague anecdotes or at worst anger and insults. Few people genuinely get angry when they are correct.

What we do with our voices could be art, an abstract concept or dream weaving which is why AI will never be a threat. Business is either numbers of people (contacts/sales) or payments in and payments out.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to work in trailer in the US- I'd talk to people who work in trailer in the US and know what is needed and how to get there.

If I wanted to work in animation - I'd talk to people who work in animation.

If I intended to live in Germany and work for German production companies there - I'd absolutely talk to someone who already lives there and does that.

What I would not do (for instance) is go to someone who works in animation at studios in New Zealand and ask them to be an authority on theatrical trailer VO in Los Angeles.

As Todd has said - VO isn't one thing. Those who know their field - know their field.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, what gives you the right to make sense?!!

And yet your wisdom will be heroically ignored by many peepfolk. For they vastly prefer the sensations caused by talking out of their ---.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
For they vastly prefer the sensations caused by talking out of their ---.

What!? Out of their what?!!! You can't leave us hanging like that. Don't be an ass and tell us!
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, it stands for PostPrandial Piehole, of course.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I got wisdom! Who knew??
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it's not contagious.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Fuller wrote:
Hey - I got wisdom! Who knew??

You could only hide it for so long. Laugh
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Few people genuinely get angry when they are correct.

This is the truest true thing I have seen yet today. Or possibly ever. I may cross-stitch it onto something.

You have The Wisdom too, Monsieur Banks.

I'm hoping it IS contagious.

www.karynobryant.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: