VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would love the group's opinion on what I recorded recently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lexvoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: I would love the group's opinion on what I recorded recently Reply with quote

First 'official' post here & eager to take advantage of the ears of my peers!

I recently finished construction of my home booth, and acquired some quality hardware to do my voice justice and prove to myself that I am taking this seriously.

I ripped the video from YouTube and removed the original audio (I'll link that at the end for comparison).

I proudly present, from my home studio: Roald Dahl's, Little Miss Riding Hood!

NOTE:

There are certain things I am not happy with, but that's more me still learning how to use RX7.

I welcome all comments, criticism and advice!

Thank you for listening ❤️

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/426557828
Streamable: https://streamable.com/zvuhve
Original!: https://youtu.be/Y3uVQIhSYfY

Microphone: Rode NT-1
Interface: Rode AI-1
DAW: Audacity
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

First let's talk technical: The volume of the finished product was quite low. Hopefully when you process your audio you will set the volume so it rides between -6db and -3db, although some others might say you can go as high as 0db.

The audio (mic) sounded thin, meaning there's not enough bass and low mid-range coming through. You appear to have quality gear so I'd review your settings. Compression? Limiting?

Now, why is this particular story the first thing you're offering for critique? Are audiobooks, short stories, or children's books your ultimate goal?

Next, listen to Prunella Scales' reading on the original. (She's a brilliant part of the TV show Fawlty Towers!) Large portions of Dahl's script are in something like poetic verse, but with a few exceptions, according to the accepted style for many years now, one shouldn't put big gaps in between the lines of verse, forcing the rhyme. It can distract from smooth and clever story telling. Listen to how Ms. Scales makes the word flow like music, even over the rhymes, almost all of the time. There are exceptions of course.

Also, I'd make the other characters, the Wolf, Red, less loud and harsh. Keep them closer to your vocal range. If you go too far with a characterization in a book or short story it can difficult to "believe" in this context.

That's not to say characters can't be wild and goofy, but that's usually reserved for cartoons and young children's books.

A good first attempt. Keep at it.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lexvoice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I had no real reason for choosing this piece, I guess my brain was in a Dahl kind of mood after hearing something.

I agree I definitely lost the loudness somewhere along the way, strange as I always ensure that I normalise to -3db...

The thinness of the recording, however, is bothering me. I seem to struggle with getting the correct resonance and depth to my voice.
I will look into compression and and limiting.
The post and editing aspect of VO is where I am really playing catch-up, as it was something I never had to deal with before.

As to my performance, I didn't want to make it a 1:1 clone of the original, as those two are masters of their craft. Rather put my own spin on it, while regaining the magic of the words.

Again with my characters you're right that they do tend to drown out the rest of the piece.

Hugely appreciative of you for taking the time. If you have any personal requests for something you would like to hear me read as a follow-up to test if I can fix these issues I would be very interested.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the timbre of your voice. It sounded more like a production issue.

And I'm not suggesting you imitate the other actors..... just absorb the style of read and then make it your own.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: