VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Wall Mounting a mic arm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Advice on Wall Mounting a mic arm Reply with quote

Hi all!

I've been a long time reader of this forum, so firstly thanks to everyone on here for sharing your knowledge.

I'm currently in the process of re fitting the inside of my Studiobricks Vocal Booth and am looking to clear up some floor space by mounting a mic arm to the wall.
Despite many hours of trawling the web, I cant seem to find a viable option other than the Yellowtec Mika, which I must say I love....but just cannot warrant the cost of each £100 bracket/attachment they require.

Currently, I'm looking at something along the lines of these two for the mount itself:
- The Heil WM1 (Which unfortunatly is sold out everywhere in the UK) https://heilsound.com/products/wm-1-2/
-Canford Wall Bracket -https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/53-003_CANFORD-ADJUSTABLE-MIC-ARM-Wall-bracket

When it comes to the actual mic arm, i'm truly at a loss. From what I can see, all the newer models appear to have permanent desk clamp fixtures, meaning they couldnt be repurposed into the wall mounts.
My preference for a mic arm would be something like this from K&M:
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/mic-stands/microphone-desk-arms/23860-microphone-desk-arm-black?c=185

Has anybody had any experience in doing something like this before and any items you'd reccomend?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Matthew
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience and what I can see in those photos most of these mic arms can be used with any of the appropriately sized mounting fixtures. I've used Luxo brand arms and have purchased wall mount, desk clamp, and surface mounted fixtures depending on my configuration. I'd call your supplier. They hopefully can steer you straight.

B&H Photo in New York has a huge stock of these kinds of arms and accessories.

I'm fairly ignorant of what studio bricks are actually like, but I'm wondering if they're sturdy enough to handle a screwed in wall mount. Maybe you'd have to bolt it through the wall with large washers to keep it from damaging things?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just suggested this Ikea scissor mirror mount ( https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fraeck-mirror-stainless-steel-38006200/https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fraeck-mirror-stainless-steel-38006200/ )to a friend in Tokyo.

The mirror mount will easily hold up to about 2 pounds or a kilo for the weight challenged.

Yes, it is DIY but it is inexpensive and easy to create.

Add a couple of bolts and a shock mount mic clip, take off the mirror, and mount it to the wall. This gets a mic out of the way when not needed and keeps it handy otherwise.

F2
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce,

It seems all the suppliers I spoke to here in the UK carry such varied stock that they arent great at more specific enquiries. Fortunately I reached out to the actual producers themselves (K&M in this case) and they provided me with the actual breakdown of the product they created. - Turns out you can detach the desk clamp, so now it's just a matter of seeing whether it fits a stock wall mount or if it needs a bit of tinkering!

Bruce wrote:

I'm fairly ignorant of what studio bricks are actually like, but I'm wondering if they're sturdy enough to handle a screwed in wall mount. Maybe you'd have to bolt it through the wall with large washers to keep it from damaging things?

B

I've been cautious about this myself, having owned and used one for about 4 years, but currently having fixed nothing but essentially double sided velcro to the walls.
But I recently spoke with Guillermo (The owner of Studiobricks) and the official line is that you can drill into the walls without causing any damage to the layers of soundproofing, as long as you go no deeper than 35mm and use only wood screws.
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
I just suggested this Ikea scissor mirror mount ( https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fraeck-mirror-stainless-steel-38006200/https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fraeck-mirror-stainless-steel-38006200/ )to a friend in Tokyo.

F2

Thanks Frank, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, I think the limitations of the movement path might make it a no for me in this case, but it's definitely an option I'll keep in mind for future projects.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try hanging your rig from the ceiling.
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
You might try hanging your rig from the ceiling.

This was my plan for a fair while, but unfortunately the useable mounting space on the roof panel of the booth is pretty minimal and slightly below the average size of most of the ceiling mounts i’d seen.

The Studiobricks essentially has a singular panel for the roof, again including absorption, but it has a much thinner piece of External wood than the walls meaning the drilling depth would be minimal... possibly close to 10mm max...
I like the look of it, but didn’t fancy the chances of the mic arm staying up long term, especially if it was moved regularly!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thought was hanging from the top as well. what if you reinforce the ceiling of the booth? a thicker board spanning the distance like a roof joist - drill through both. you might have to modify the boom arm to fit your space - or replace with a shorter length of tubing.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Heil SB-2 boom in a Heil FL-2 flange mounted to the ceiling with just the three screws it comes with. I can't recall how long those screws are, but I don't think they were particularly long.

https://heilsound.com/pro-audio/pro-audio/microphone-accessories/
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Heil arms for several years and love them. They are quiet, they stay put when you move them around, and they are just well built. In my current booth (which I'm in the process of replacing), I have acoustic panels with wood frames, and I drilled the mounts into those. I also have used the screw-down mount on a shelf in the booth, and that also works well.

It might be possible to affix a chunk of wood onto a wall in your 'Bricks, and then screw the mount into that, if the problem is distributing the weight across the wall.

In my new booth I'm going to hang mics from the ceiling.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
a thicker board spanning the distance like a roof joist - drill through both. you might have to modify the boom arm to fit your space - or replace with a shorter length of tubing.

Yes!
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew, have you reached out to the guys at Studiobricks?

Odds are they've dealt with this before and will have some helpful suggestions.
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof ideas (particularly the reinforced joist) for attachments is definitely one I’m gonna look into. I’m slightly wary of how strong the roof panel is considering Studiobricks holds itself together primarily through the weight of each panel resting into the one below it.

I’ve ended up going for the Heil WM1 for the wall mount and then the K&M 23860 Mic arm.. I’ll post a couple pictures of the final result once they’re installed in case anyone’s interested Smile
Matthew Houston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougVox wrote:
Matthew, have you reached out to the guys at Studiobricks?

Odds are they've dealt with this before and will have some helpful suggestions.

Hey Doug,

Guillermo is pretty helpful with this kind of stuff, but I think they have a pretty solid deal with Yellowtec for their Mika range of mic fixtures so the only suggestion was that at the moment.
They actually now offer a ‘Voiceover’ edition which comes with this all installed, but for around £850 for me to retrofit a mic arm and tablet stand was a bit excessive 😅
Chris Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew, thanks for the post, as I have a similar need for my studio. I was looking at the Heil WM1 too. In my situation I need to mount it to a wall, not a ceiling. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: