VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things Are Tough, But Really??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
But we really cannot compare the selling of fine art to talent agent's commission. Apples and oranges.

I'm only pointing out that the commissions rise and stay riz if we allow it.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the talent" agency needs money then the agency should find the "talent" work. This increases the income to the agency and the talent.

If the talent feels slighted by the increase in fees, fire the agency. Either the agency will find another way to earn money or they will go out of business and the talent will likely find more work somewhere else or by another means and earn more than they previously did with the agent mis-representation. \\

It is simple economics.

Stop complaining about what can or will be and fix the problem.

With "art work" if one places a piece of work in a gallery it is in hopes of selling it and one knows the terms. IF there is another avenue of retailing the product - do it and save the fees charged by the gallery. It is what it is.

Complain about something, do nothing, or fix it. It is your choice. Complaining rarely works out for either party in negotiations.

F2
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the agency is in financial trouble. Sometimes it's best to get out while they are ahead instead of going down the bunnyhole, vdchole or whatever you want to compare it to. If I were still with said agency it would be a clear conversation of options to consider. Times have changed and maybe that agency has run its course.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Here's the exact statement:

Quote:
...this increase penciled out the best - for us and you.

Bruce, did they ever essplain how losing an extra 5% worked out best for YOU, the talent? Just bold faced bull.

And Dan- You have the right answer, and you are the epitome of a class act. If the bulk of their roster does the same, they will come around, if not, let nature take its course.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey, the owner of IBE, has joined the conversation on Facebook. The conversation has been bouncing all over the place, but pretty-much staying civil. So far my take-away is:

1) Stacey has tried to explain her logic with maths. People have tried to explain her maths with more maths. Everyone has glazed over. The arguments are convoluted and involve many variables and unknowns. They do make sense if you deep-dive... I've known them since I signed with them... but they are somewhat akin to getting a straight pricing with all additions from a car dealer when you just want to know how much the car costs.
2) People are outraged at a 25% increase in agent fees to what is perceived as a 25% commission rate (the highest out there). Perception is reality... and although IBE is an irrelevant entity for most people, it's seen as the thin end of the wedge and something to be rallied against. Some are removing themselves from the roster.
3) "Stacey is great and IBE are wonderful - I would gladly give them my first-born!" This is mainly from active members of their roster who want to be seen as defending a revenue source and supporting her. This is reasonable... but some of the arguments are a little stretched IMO. Even if you get absolutely wonderful service from a supplier (phone, cable, grocery store, anything) to be so "supportive" as to shout out that you approve of an increase of fees by 25% to the highest in the industry is a little.... well, disingenuous at best. Again, IMO.
4) People who want to talk about P2P or Union... often interesting, but in this case, irrelevant.
5) Times are hard for everyone. They need to cut costs... not increase charges.
6) The timing of this announcement really sucks the big one. Why not kick a guy when he's down? It's just one more cracked rib to add to the damage. eh?

This is just my take-away from the thread. It's divisive and people are positioning. Stacey knew this would happen (IMO) and is handling herself well... top marks for joining in, outing herself and acting professionally in the face of some outrage.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe Egan wrote:
And Dan- You have the right answer, and you are the epitome of a class act. If the bulk of their roster does the same, they will come around, if not, let nature take its course.

I'll admit there would have been a heck of a lot more weight to my decision six- ten years ago when I was a top earner for them. After I went union and began pursuing promo and entertainment narration, work with them slowed to a trickle. But, still...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: