VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things Are Tough, But Really??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Things Are Tough, But Really?? Reply with quote

One of my main talent agencies has announced it's not making enough money so they're raising their non-union voiceover commission from 20% to 25%.

Heartwarming. Or is that heart sinking?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a discussion with a couple of fellow roster members. "Not happy" would be a massive understatement. "Incredulous" would be another... as would "are they effing idiots?"

My suggestion is simple... the next time an "opportunity" comes though at $1,000 gross (was $800 net, is now $750 net)... counter with, my fee will be $800 net... do you still want my audition?

We are not here to take what's offered. We are here to negotiate a professional fee for what we do. Is what you do worth 25%? Let's negotiate.

Has Erik or the VOAA commented yet?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“No” is the most empowering word an actor has. If the clients refuse to pay 25%, that’s that. But a non union agent can ask for anything they want. Hell, I would never pay 20%.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone got me a job I'd be happy to pay them, within reason, what they wanted. 25% for "Admin"? No.
BruceJacobson

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: IBE commission Reply with quote

I usually do not make noise. But this...at least in my opinion... is outrageous. I replied: This is more bullshit than I can handle. I am sure I will hear back. If they...lets say... receive +20 from a client and then 25% of the gross from a talent...Who is helping who? Obviously IBE is in trouble (and how is the HUB working out?). Listen...with what is going on in the world...it's tough out here. It filters down to all of us. And if someone says otherwise...they are not being truthful. Fair is fair, but this isn't even close.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Major art galleries take between 50% and 60% of a work's price. No matter where or how you sell it.

Not saying it's right, I'm just sayin'.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
The Major art galleries take between 50% and 60% of a work's price. No matter where or how you sell it.

Not saying it's right, I'm just sayin'.

That has been their business practice since day one. In professional acting, commission has been 10%. Actually, plus 10% for most contracts as actors demanded the buyer pay the agent's commission so as not out of the actor's pocket.

Art also has the potential of not only holding its value in perpetuity, it can go up. Or not. But we really cannot compare the selling of fine art to talent agent's commission. Apples and oranges.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: Greed!

Reminds me of the restaurant business somewhat. A new eatery opens and does very good business for several months.

Then, feeling they should be making more money raises the menu prices. Business drops sharply.

A few months go by and they are getting desperate for customers so they raise the price for food even more. Profit stops and they go out of business wondering why folks stopped coming to their shop to eat dinner.

F2
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awful and unwise. One of the classic signs of poor management in a company is when they start cutting costs to "fix" revenue problems. It becomes an ever-tighter spiral of chasing down ever-fewer dollars as salespeople are let go or disincentivized, and then other staff are cut or subjected to onerous oversight until it all unravels.

Though this is not cutting costs per se, it smacks of the same poor judgement.

Are they asking the clients to pick up that 25%? Or actually taking it out of the VO's payment?
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Things Are Tough, But Really?? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
One of my main talent agencies has announced it's not making enough money so they're raising their non-union voiceover commission from 20% to 25%.

I was waiting to see if or when someone would post about this. When Bruce said, ‘One of my…”, well, there are tons of talent agents that are here today and gone tomorrow, but this agency is well known, well established and a staple in one region of the USA. I was beyond surprised yesterday to see the email stating that they were going beyond not only industry standards, but industry ethics.

Yes, business has slowed for many, but that doesn’t mean you make it up on your clients. If it’s slowed for the agency it’s slowed for those it represents as well. Apparently, instead of maintaining a ‘We’re all in this together’ attitude, they’ve adopted, ‘Me first and good luck to you’.

Well I’m with that agency as well, and honestly I’m shocked, especially since they were one of the first to decry Voices.com’s commission practices and now it appears they’re joining them.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the exact statement:

Quote:
You probably know this about us by now...We lead with our hearts - both as people and as a brand - and we believe every audio project deserves an awesome voice.

These two philosophies go hand-in-hand, working together collaboratively, just like our agency and the talent we represent. We’ll be making a shift in the commissions we earn beginning June 1st, moving from our 20% model to 25%.

We looked at several ideas for increasing revenue so we can remain a viable and strong agency and this increase penciled out the best - for us and you.

We’re feeling the daily changes and, while it can be a little scary, it’s also super exciting to move towards a new future, whatever that looks like.

Opportunities are everywhere, they just present differently now -

I have been privy to the business of businesses that have failed and this is reminiscent. I like these people, but if they don't have enough financial backup or any other strategies than to charge their clients more while the clients will be making less .... well that spells trouble, right here in River City.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 13 years, I left said agency last night. The door is open if they reconsider.
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that the following options are indicative of good business practices when money is tight:
1. Do what ever you can to find more clients
2. Work harder to justify a higher price to current clients
Rinse and repeat.
I don't have a magic wand on how to do this but I try hard everyday to work this model myself.
Giving the people who do the work a pay cut should never be the long term answer for a well run business.

British Voice Over
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsvoicetalent wrote:
Giving the people who do the work a pay cut should never be the long term answer for a well run business.

Mind if I just forward this to a certain agency???

www.rickrileyvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good business practices at any time --- +1, craig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: