VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

His voice got IN the way
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: His voice got IN the way Reply with quote

Some people I know have been producing podcasts in which Voiceover people are interviewed. Whilst they talk about their careers they also talk about life e changing events. Deaths, depression, poor physical health, abuse, not being able to afford a Twix, that kind of thing.

I tuned in for the latest and only lasted about 5 minutes. I suspect the entire thing was interesting, moving and I would. like the others learn something from it.

What was deafening me to the real person, the real story? In terms of the voice his sells he was doing the entire interview in character. Having heard him in conversation whilst leaning on a bar sipping a small Sherry, he didn't sound like his "character". I had to switch off and go and do something else. I could not get passed his voice. I am certain I missed something because the "VOICE" got in the way. That has never happened to me before and I look forward to it never happening again.

Is this an experience unique to me or has anyone else ever had to hit the STOP button?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had to hit the stop button talking to people like this leaning on the bar sipping a small sherry. wait, i've never sipped a sherry ... but you get the point.

Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmm, sherry

Philip, I know not the show nor the interviewee you speak of, but hard pass on listening to what, back in the golden days of radio, we called 'a puker'. Dammit
Yes, any message to be delivered- either in an interview, or a :30 spot, gets stuck in the quagmire of that ego.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a Continuity (Booth) Announcer at a TV station a few years ago. Pick up a pay day for watching TV, lovely.

The station produced a music talent contest and the prize a recording contract.

One Saturday afternoon I followed four young men down a corridor, their stage costumes were spectacular. They went through a door and headed up some stairs. A little way in front of me was a young Production Assistant.

"Those have got to be the BIGGEST trousers I have ever seen" I said to the back of his head.

As he disappeared back into the studio he called over his shoulder.

"Ahhhh MR CONTINUITY!"

He was a Freelancer so we'd never met before. I go through life a walking, talking cliche!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This phenomenon is, mercifully, fairly rare in voiceover, but not all that uncommon in radio. Some radio guys are pukers on the air but do have normal speaking voices for outside the studio. And some guys, particularly those with a "face for radio," launch into their radio voice in non-radio situations, especially at parties or in bars, to impress the ladies (which, it never does; don't ask me how I know this).
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh Lee, how do you know this? Rolls Eyes

I still have a face for radio, but still talk the same wherever I go... doesn't impress anyone.

F2
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There do seem to be two main types: those who sound like their pro voice and those who sound like normal people. In my experience, whether you are one or the other doesn't necessarily reflect on whether you're successful, though I'd say there is a greater tendency for people who sound like they're "on" to be UNsuccessful.

One of the most successful VOs I've ever met sounds like just another guy--until he gets behind the mic. Others--and I'd count you in this group, Philip--sound much like they do when working, but without that heightened sense of "I'm a voice ak-torr"--they just have a head-turning voice. Group 3--damn it, it's always Group 3--do what Moe refers to, or an egregious variant.

I am currently accepting applications for my new band, Egregious Variant.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:

I am currently accepting applications for my new band, Egregious Variant.

Am currently writing songs for the album "The Iranian Double Pause"
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I meet someone new and feel like revealing what I do for a living I cringe a bit inside when they say, "oh yes, you do have a radio voice". Lord, I have tried so hard to not do that. I do try to speak clearly which may mean a titch better pronunciation than the average Jane or Joe, but the thought of me performing unasked for for strangers is uncomfortable.

I have listened to very few minutes of the VO podcasts out there because of just this problem. This business of performing all the time for fellow performers .... Barf Barf Barf

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance, monkey, dance!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came to the US back in the 90s, I had to learn to mumble and point. It seemed that every time I opened my mouth someone said, "Oh, I just love your voice!" Now... mater taught me to speak well, and as a grammar-school upstart, I can (usually) string two words together in the correct order.

So... the accent, coupled with a working knowledge of the language, pretty much made me an oddity on Long Island... where most conversations with either a cashier at King Kullen or a waitress at the diner, usually started... "Oh, I love your accent... wasn't it a shame about Princess Diana?" So, rather than offend, I mumbled and pointed whenever I could. I couldn't "turn it off" - that's my voice, that's who I am, that what I'm selling. Yes. sometimes it's a pain in the arse when you're the novelty or want to slide in under the radar... but sometimes it opens doors Wink
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
uhhh Lee, how do you know this?

I said don't ask. Wink
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
sometimes it's a pain in the arse when you're the novelty or want to slide in under the radar...

I can relate to not sliding under the radar when you want to because of your voice. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was half of a morning drive talk show called, "Mike and Moe in the Morning", I was married to my first husband at the time, but used my maiden name on the air- so my kids knew mom had two names, Mrs. Gamblin, or Moe Egan, depending on where we were. My cohost used to get chatted up whenever he used his credit cards, or left a reservation with his name on it...but since I had a nom de mic, that never happened to me...but whenever I laughed in public (if you know me, you know I have a very distinct LOUD laugh), or if I raised my voice at my kids in the grocery store (for all the wrong reasons)- THAT"s when people noticed me and asked if I was me. My kids used that to their advantage.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few weeks after i escaped from radio i wrote a check at the grocery store. the girl said, "didn't you used to be todd ellis?"

Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: