VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preferred cloud solutions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Preferred cloud solutions Reply with quote

Yes, I've been reluctant and distrusting, but must now face reality. (Disaster has not struck; I'm just being proactive.)

What are some of your preferred cloud backup solutions and what do you keep on them?

Thanks.

Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Backblaze, on recommendation from at least 2 VOs that I absolutely trust. I back up my laptop as well as my peripheral drive onto it.

It's only about $100 a year. Worth it!

www.karynobryant.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Carbonite.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Backblaze, but when disaster struck last September, it failed me. I was able to cobble together a good portion of my files with a LOT of manual labor and determination, but I stopped that service immediately as it gave me peace of mind right up till when I needed it.

Now, with a new computer, I have a couple of dedicated SSD drives (they're pretty cheap now) that are mirroring my computer and running time Machine.

It avoids the problems of cloud storage (slow transfer, hoping they don't get hacked, hoping their software works as advertised, having things completely out of your own hands) and will be much faster in the event of another... Event.

Of course, this is one man's experience. I'm sure many have used Backblaze with good results. I'm just not one of them.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a data hog. I have Terabytes of crap collected over the years. I tried Carbonite, but was less than impressed with the upload speeds. I currently run multiple RAID arrays (Drobo drives). My client data is backed up by Time Machine, and then everything (both the original files and the Time Machine backup) is protected on a RAID (and then the RAID is backed up to a 2TB SSD on another computer). There is nothing wrong with having a local backup of a backup... and yes, I fully acknowledge that if my place is subject to fire, flood, tornado, or anything else of biblical proportions, then my data is toast.... but in that eventuality, I'm sure it will be the least of my problems. I don't think that cloud solutions have kept up with demands.
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish, would you mind giving a bit of how you manage those backups ? It sounds like you're selectively backing up certain data one place and other data another? is that automatic?
I am 1/2 way through consolidating 12 various drives and organising the data of decades for myself and clients. Just the client projects is taking up most of an 8TB drive and isn't done yet. I understand the DOBRO thing, having had a disaster trying to incorporate a 'normal' NAS into a Mac network years ago... so far I am having to work with what's here, and this sort of organising is NOT my mind's forte...

A friend runs a very good small recording studio and speaks highly of BACKBLAZE...
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew... deep breath...
I have an iMac as my production machine & a Mac Mini as a utility machine (mainly a media server)
All my current client data sits on my iMac's SSD (500GB)
This is backed up nightly via Chronosync to parallel structure on a locally connected USB3 Drobo array (4TB)
After the file-by-file backup is done, Time Machine backs up the main iMac SSD to the same USB Drobo array.
So... at this point, the USB3 Drobo holds a nightly "manual" copy, and a nightly Time Machine copy.
And then (you guessed it) the entire USB3 Drobo (except the ever-growing Time Machine image) is backed-up with Chronosync across the network to an external 2TB drive on the Mac Mini.

So, at any one time, I have:
1. The current data.
2. The Time Machine backup
3. The Chronosync backup on Drobo
4. The emergency backup of the Drobo on the Mac Mini

But wait... that's not all...
I also have a network Drobo that holds all my media files and... (no prizes) a weekly backup of the Mac Mini emergency backup Smile
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Bish, that's clear... and helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: