VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Headline: Voice Actors To Work from Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom flew back for cartoons.

....and he recently moved back to LA.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Bob, I am so curious about this transition you guys are going through. I have never known another life except self-directing auditions at home. I think I've done maybe 12 in-person auditions over the past 15 years while in town for Promax. Seeing people come into the agency for auditions was just mind blowing. Why in the world would someone spend 1-3 hours of their day to do that? There are so many other ways I could use that time.

Keep in mind we are talking about animation actors at a certain level of their career. As well as celebrities, who do a lot of animation, and for the most part get scale. Actors in the purest term. None ever desired to self direct. In fact most, myself included, crave direction. None desired to ever edit or learn the tech end. Just like the average on camera actor has no desire to self direct and edit a film they are in.

Now, most animation actors do indeed audition from home. A handful of agents, most of the top end agents, prefer talent come in to read. Their booking average was higher if directed. If I had a choice I would much rather audition at a casting office or with a casting director who is hands on with the material and has a relationship with the buyer. I resisted the home auditions as long as I could. I would much rather spend 1-3 hours auditioning than self direct. But my agent doesn’t bring in actors to read, unless requested by the buyer.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today I learned something. Wink
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

But that is nothing new. The majority has been from the home studios for years.

Yup. That's all I was trying to say by posting this. ❤️
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, at that agency, I showed up several times a week, spending an hour and half in the car and then another hour or so there, for two reasons despite having a good home studio:

1. I was new and wanted to establish myself as a go-getter, and I wanted to forge relationships with the agents with actual face time.
2. It is their practice to weed out people by seeing who shows up and, of course, who is worth keeping by reading them in house.

Plus, of course, they had actual booth directors who provided on-the-go development training for the on-camera people who looked to supplement their income with VO and for newcomers like me who needed the help.

I doubt they will continue the practice but who knows. For me, in my position at the time, showing up to auditions probably got me a career--and I am grateful to the people and practice that allowed it.

I know you know this, but I share for the benefit of others who might wonder at a modern agency going through all that hassle.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, I remembered a quote I read about 12 years ago that was a major driving force in my efforts to learn how to self direct:

"An amateur actor makes guesses. A professional makes choices and commits to them."

Anyone care to make a guess who said it? Anyone? Anyone?

Yep, Bob Bergen.

I love the vo-bb and the discussions we get into here. The learning never stops.

And thanks, Bob. Smile
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's gold.

Another, less elegant way to say something like that, is that you can hear the amateur looking at you, wondering whether you like what they are doing. The pro just does it the only way it can be done.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I believe I've told you this before, but I did get a couple answers as to why people came in to audition:

A booth director said "There's basically three kinds of people:
1. Animation actors (See Bob's previous comments)
2. People who love drama and need to gossip
3. Talent that need to feel they accomplished something with their career that day. They get up, put on their pants, and drive to work like everyone else."

Someone one else added "Most of those people are actors and not full-time VOs. They're looking to score a quick commercial job in between roles."

So, Jack, which one are you, 2 or 3? Inoccent
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yes we just talked about this. For me it was a necessary thing; but once they said "you know you don't have to come in any more unless you really want to" I was done :)
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
This morning, I remembered a quote I read about 12 years ago that was a major driving force in my efforts to learn how to self direct:

"An amateur actor makes guesses. A professional makes choices and commits to them."

Anyone care to make a guess who said it? Anyone? Anyone?

Yep, Bob Bergen.

I love the vo-bb and the discussions we get into here. The learning never stops.

And thanks, Bob. Smile

Close! A trained actor makes a choice. A non trained actor makes a guess. The professionally trained actor has the skills to commit to choices and the technique to repeat them at will. 😉
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, a classically trained Violinist, approached me waving the magic wand she used to cast spells with her Violin.

"I wish I could do that!" She smiled

"You can" I replied "You're simply too busy enjoying the music to notice."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: