VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kermie will kill you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Kermie will kill you Reply with quote

Please pardon me if this was done Back When, but I just found my way to it...
Graham Norton chatting with Seth McFarlane... backed by Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Charize Theron... mostly Seth mucking about with his voiced characters from FAMILY GUY. It starts around 8:30 for about 6 minutes...

EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION:
So what DO you call that 1930-40 USA style tenor-speaking voice style found in radio ads of the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgI9dSbhes
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard it called "mid-atlantic"

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mid-Atlantic in many cases but also just an arched style just for radio ads and newscasting. I'm thinking it probably started in the early days when radio equipment on both sides of the airwaves were not of the highest quality and announcers would over enunciate and over emote so they could be heard and understood. It then became a style for a few decades.

Something I still parody from time to time in my work. Just last week: "Can you talk like a 1950's TV announcer?" You betcham Red Ryder!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the gentlemen above.

And I love this clip! I've seen it several times before.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bruce says, there were technical reasons certainly, but the style was being inherited from earlier theatrical modes as well. America, founded by Englishmen, saw UC English speech as the epitome of style, and along with a strong preference for Northeastern US vocal inflections, gave rise to the heightened form of speaking used by public speakers, actors, and radio folks. Listening for the changes through the decades from the 30s to the 60s is fascinating, as we move from a marriage of English and New English upper-class speech to a distinctly (and often ostentatiously) American--yet still heightened and stylized--form in the 50s and 60s.

I very much enjoy Seth's work, but if you want to hear someone who has mastered the subtle nuances of the vocal patterns of the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, listen to Corey Burton. He can do all of those styles with marvelous feel. He was most recently featured in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but he is called upon whenever a true master of American broadcasting vernacular is required.

He, my friends, is a gem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: