VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apollo Twin Routing for ISDN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
The loopback is in the Apollo mixer. The signal is coming in from the ISDN caller to the Apollo and is being sent back to them from the Apollo. It sounds like a delay.

It's really odd if there is actually internal looping through the Twin back to the client, as from the screenshot - it doesn't look like your ISDN is bussing anywhere currently.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATTO YOU'RE A GENIUS

The CUE Outputs were what I was missing. Once I clicked on the HP toggle the entire screen lit up with colors and activated all of the Sends. A few tests of what went where and voilą! My Mic send is now muted in the Headphones and the slapback is gone.

Thank you!

Here is the the screenshot for any future needs the amazing members of the VO-BB may need.

Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo! Bingo!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, once again the down under fella is on top of things!

Way to go Matt!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Glad to help.

Those AUX channels and the virtual channels on the UAD devices are just delightful for handling playback on patch sessions should you ever need to do. In addition they're good for recording the incoming signal from a patch.

For me it took a little bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it and set up a couple of templates in I/O and the Console layout it works a treat.

I'm not at the studio computer presently but I'll be happy to share some screenshots of my I/O for those AUX purposes if it's useful.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:

I'm not at the studio computer presently but I'll be happy to share some screenshots of my I/O for those AUX purposes if it's useful.

Matt, that would be TERRIFIC. For my part, I can't find a way to:

1) Control the incoming volume of Source Connect sessions (I can do so in ipDTL because it has its own mixer and I can turn down the volume of the incoming signal through ipDTL, but I'd prefer to handle this for ANY incoming signal via Console if I can).

2) Play back audio. I can hear my own audio just fine if I play it back, but the person on the other end cannot.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:

1) Control the incoming volume of Source Connect sessions (I can do so in ipDTL because it has its own mixer and I can turn down the volume of the incoming signal through ipDTL, but I'd prefer to handle this for ANY incoming signal via Console if I can).

Ok cool, I'll do two parts -- Source-Connect first:

First of all, I found it handy to create a particular I/O setting for Source-Connect. I use it most out of all things, but I do tend to switch IO around for use in Pro Tools, phone patch and then noodling around with music. It might be less hassle for me if I come up with one base I/O template, but while I was figuring out the Apollo this seemed easier to wrap my head around.

So the key thing to control the volume of your Source-Connect receive is to output directly to one of the virtual channels in the Apollo.

See how I've actually made virtual channel 1/2 the first channels in the output lineup. They can be anywhere, you just want to take note of their channel number.

Then you want to go to outputs in Source-Connect and make sure that you are output to those virtual channels:

From there, you can go to that channel in the Console and adjust the levels using your cues, or the main fader for the channel.

For example, cue 1 goes to my monitors outside the booth, cue 2 goes to a speaker bar that I have in the booth so I can hear people on a patch without headphones (or do playback and punch record when I am recording myself), and cue 3 goes to headphones in the booth. I can individually adjust the levels for each one.

I hope this works for your setup...if you have any questions or you need to do a quick Source-Connect test once you've applied these settings just give me a shout.

Last edited by Matto on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get screenshots to work in this forum. Can we all have a moment's silence for the irony of me given tech advice...

EDIT: Got it!

Last edited by Matto on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:
Can we all have a moment's silence for the irony of me given tech advice...

Your advice looks excellent to me! I'll give this a shot and report back when I have minute... THANKS Matto!
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no dramas at all! I will get back to add the playback element walkthrough sometime over the next couple of days...when the toddler is napping!

Question for you Jack - which DAW are you using?

If it is Pro Tools or TwistedWave, that will be easy peasy for me to share. If you use another DAW it will probably be fine, but you will need to be able to change which channel on the Apollo the DAW outputs to....if that makes sense.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:

Question for you Jack - which DAW are you using?

Audition CC.
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack (and anyone else interested in playback using an Apollo device),

I found it much easier to just do a run through on screen share of how I set up my Apollo unit to do playback.

https://www.loom.com/share/4ec6855ae7964de2a2e5ba7464c364ee

It's under 10 minutes and hopefully this helps with getting the playback happening. Just let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited by Matto on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to watch this morning--again, thanks Matto, this is really swell of ya!
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Matt! That's a very trick setup with the Arrow in your booth for booth headphone monitor control. I like the I/O rewiring trick of assigning Ch1/2 Outputs to Virtual 1/2 inside Apollo's I/O matrix. I usually use Audio Midi Setup to reassign the "Speakers" setting for Apollo to Virtual Channels 1/2, but this could work better in some cases, such as with Source Connect Standard which does funky things with Virtual Channels in it's menu system, causing confusion.

I noticed that your Aux Masters aren't muted. That could cause some odd monitoring issues for those who use Monitor speakers, as you'd be monitoring the direct channels AND the Aux mixes at the same time, creating a double monitor situation. This could result in phasing or over-driving of the monitor bus. I also recommend for those who have speakers in the same room as the mics to mute the channels on the monitor bus you don't want to amplify on speakers (such as the mics) and use a Cue (or on the Arrow/Twin the HP) bus for headphone monitoring control.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh thank you George! That has probably been the think that caused issues in the past. I honestly never thought to mute those. It doesn't cause me much grief as I always record in the booth and have finally figured out how to use my speaker to do punch record and playback without headphones (YAY).

I did actually use your trick with the Audio Midi Setup (with the virtual channels 1&2) and I found that it was then much easier to bus system playback (the 2 times a year I need to do it).

If anyone is unsure how get started with one of the UA units, I'd recommend reaching out to George. The man knows his way around an Apollo!! George also remotely dialled in my plug-ins to create some "effects stacks" so all I have to do is select the different presets for promo, narration, commercial etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: