VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you Phone Patch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: How do you Phone Patch? Reply with quote

How do you do your phone patches?
I’ve got an Apollo Twin solo interface and need to phone patch for tomorrow but I haven’t done it in a while and when I did I had a completely different interface (ID 22).
I’d like to just use my cell phone if possible but can do a landline.

What gear do you use? Service?
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely following this thread. quite relevant to my interests.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us use Skype. Many audio software programs allow you to input and output Skype calls through the program. I’ve done a Skype session with four people listening in at once from the U.S. and Europe. Cool.

Zoom is also popular for video and audio sessions.

The days of the phone patch device are long gone. In fact I’ve got one I’m planning on taking to an electronics recycler. Anyone need a brick?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, when I phone patch, I use my cell phone and earbuds so they can hear me and I can hear their direction, and record myself on my DAW. Then I send the client the audio in whatever format they need.

Anything beyond that (or SourceConnect or Zoom or Skype) is far beyond my meager technical abilities.

www.karynobryant.com
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Many of us use Skype. Many audio software programs allow you to input and output Skype calls through the program. I’ve done a Skype session with four people listening in at once from the U.S. and Europe. Cool.

Zoom is also popular for video and audio sessions.

The days of the phone patch device are long gone. In fact I’ve got one I’m planning on taking to an electronics recycler. Anyone need a brick?

B

actually, i'd like to take you up on the brick offer. i've had two auditions recently that specifically required phone patch and figured i would solve that problem in the event i was awarded the role. they're still out there and i might have need of it. please let me know what you'd like for it. (:

outside of that, i like karyn's idea best: use cell phone and ear buds while recording and then send final audio after the fact. i'm not sure i have a strong enough signal where i record to make that possible though, so phone patch might need to be my jam.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do use a cell phone, do a test run first -- I ruined an entire directed session once because of cell interference. Shocked

I wasn't even using it for the patch, it was just accidentally in the booth with me...

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ipDTL. I do enough phone patch sessions where it makes sense for me to have a dedicated number and a reliable, reproducible way to handle such sessions with very little thought and no maneuvering of a cell phone (which itself introduces the problem of recording unwanted sounds when the radio hits).

ipDTL also serves as my ISDN line. But most of the production houses I work with would rather have me record and send them the file after a phone patch.

This said, if I did a phone patch every once in a while, I wouldn't bother with this setup.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you keep the phone noise from a phone patch session off the recording? Do you have to use a mixer and run it through an Aux channel?? I use to use my JK Autohybrid but stopped because the noise of the line and the client background noise would go on the recording. Since then I have just held the phone up to my mouth while I record....both landline and cell phone. It works but I can still get noise from the cell phone. Any ideas? Thanks.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole thread made me wonder:

i know that if i have my cell phone too close to the mic, the static noise picks up when the phone tries to do anything. when the phone is far away from the mic, nothing picks up.

i'm curious what running bluetooth earbuds would do to solve that problem if the phone is well enough away from recording equipment in that scenario... i might need to try that later!
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Moore wrote:
How do you keep the phone noise from a phone patch session off the recording?

With ipDTL, I just don't record the incoming signal from the remote studio. I record only my mic input into my DAW. The only way the other studio could be heard is if I let my cans bleed into the mic. Which I don't :)
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:

i know that if i have my cell phone too close to the mic, the static noise picks up when the phone tries to do anything.

Exactly. The cell phone's radio is noisy and it's best to keep your cell out of the booth. I also don't like dealing with the awkwardness of holding a cell phone and making sure it's muted etc.
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use wired earbuds to minimize interference that bluetooth earbuds might cause. The ones made to be used with phones are pretty cheap. These here are $10 right now.
https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-Wired-Earbuds-Microphone-Comfort-Fit/dp/B00HMZJLCE/

When using earbuds, I don't hear any bleed-through on my mic. But definitely do a test run with a willing friend to ensure your setup works seamlessly.

FYI, I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Earbuds-Headphones-Powerful-Lightweight/dp/B07TDS4SG1/

www.karynobryant.com
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jack, I use a dedicated phone number (and dedicated ISDN) on ipDTL. I previously used Skype for the phone patch, but I grew tired of Skype and its shenanigans.

My interface is the Apollo x6. I find the management of virtual channels and sends on the UAD stuff to be quite lovely.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto wrote:
Like Jack, I use a dedicated phone number (and dedicated ISDN) on ipDTL.

And like Matto, I use an Apollo interface. Curious about the new UA DAW coming out this Spring--LUNA it's called. Apollo-centric recording: I'll have to take a looksee.

But to Matt's point, Apollo does make it easy to route.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telos Hx1 and a dedicated hard line. The Telos provides two way communication, receives the outgoing signal from a dedicated out on the Apollo and returns incoming signal to a dedicated input/channel on the DAW.

Open a session in Pro Tools, set the Apollo console mixer to open the mic and phone patch channels, phone rings, hit the 'answer' button on the Telos,
Use the Apollo console to adjust the incoming client signal in the headphones.
done

Start working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: