VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Lonely Profession Can Be A Good Thing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: A Lonely Profession Can Be A Good Thing? Reply with quote

Sometimes working all alone in a home studio can be a bit of a downer. But maybe during this current potential health crisis our not being surrounded by suspicious colleagues (what have you touched lately??) may be a small blessing. I used to enjoy going to outside studios to work, but now maybe not quite as much? I saw talk show host recommend we try Japanese style bowing or some kind of hand salute instead of touching hands in any way when we greet.

As the Wicked Witch of the West said as she was melting, "what a world, what a world!"

She also said, "Who would have thought a good little girl like you could have destroyed my beautiful wickedness." But that's neither here nor there.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people i know are freeking the eff out --- personally, i don't get it. wash your hands & stay away from hospitals.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Salute works (the little birdy)...

I second the thought Todd... wash your hands. Hygiene is good and safe.

F2
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have virus sufferer in the western part of Portland and I hear the Costco near us had a run on toilet paper and some food staples. Folks are getting unnecessarily crazy over this!

B

George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

during my daytime job (I work in durable medical equipment), we deliver mattress support surfaces to long term care and hospice patients. up here in Washington state, there is a facility with a couple dozen people being checked out for symptoms that mirror coronavirus with one case confirmed at least read. that was a facility we collected a mattress from a patient in about a month ago.

it's a good reminder that everyone needs to a) wash their hands, b) not touch their faces until after washing their hands, c) practice caution when around large bodies of people and keep hands washed, and d) did I mention hand washing?

we sold our entire stock of masks in a single day and none are available to order from any of our suppliers.

i'm not entirely sure why. masks aren't going to help if there's an outbreak of a virus when people don't practice basic handwashing...
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:

we sold our entire stock of masks in a single day and none are available to order from any of our suppliers.

It'll be hard to replenish the supply, since so much of that stuff is made in China.

Quote:
i'm not entirely sure why. masks aren't going to help if there's an outbreak of a virus when people don't practice basic handwashing...

Masks won't prevent an uninfected person from getting the disease, but they will help prevent infected people from spreading it. But hand washing is a good idea, regardless.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion, Bruce. I don't work from home and all week this discussion came up at various sessions. How those who work at home stand a better chance of staying healthy than those who do sessions at outside studios.

I also posted on Facebook yesterday my new rules for fan conventions. No handshaking, no hugging, no contact, period. Someone suggested I use nitrate gloves to sign. Not a bad idea.

I really don't think people are overreacting. Yes, wash hands! But if that were fool proof no one would get the common cold. On the other hand, perhaps this will encourage those who tend to forgo hand washing throughout change to their habits.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
On the other hand, perhaps this will encourage those who tend to forgo hand washing throughout change to their habits.

this this this very much a million times this.

from the male species, how many of us witness multitudes of people who won't even wash their hands after visiting the water closet? flush 'n go.

if they can't be bothered to wash their hands after placing their hands upon their nether regions and then touching surfaces that have been touched by people placing their hands upon their nether regions, what are the odds that they're going to do so with any other sense of regularity?

so yeah. i'll try to find the articles i've been reading from national health experts outlining why hand washing is one of the better preventives.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Mayo Clinic: Seven surfaces that harbor a staggering number of germs:

- Money
- Touchscreens
- Restaurant menus
- Handrails, handles and doorknobs
- Surfaces at the airport
- Kitchen sponges
- Animals

More details (but a short read) on the Mayo Clinic's website.

There's also a Jimmy Kimmel video on proper hand-washing. From a piece I wrote in 2008 on avoiding colds & flu: "Those who simply run some water and quickly rinse their hands without using any soap may as well not even bother, because that does nothing more than spread the germs a little further over their hands."

For those who use Lysol or other such spray to disinfect surfaces around the house, you should know that true disinfecting is not as quickly accomplished it appears to be in TV spots. According to the instructions on the label, to properly disinfect a surface, it must sprayed until it is thoroughly wet. And it must remain wet for at least three minutes and allowed to air-dry on its own (no fair fanning or blowing) before it can be considered disinfected.

Another misconception: disinfectant sprays are not meant to clean the air. While they may make things smell nice for a few minutes, the mist of spray disinfectants is too heavy to mingle with the air and will fall immediately to the floor, thereby wasting the product.

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the thing - the regular old, standard issue flu kills roughly 1/2 a million people a year worldwide. the mortality rate of this particular little bug is 2%. since we don't have large scale war the way we (humans) have had throughout history (wiping out whole swathes of the population at a whack) plus advances in medicine and medical technology propping us all up, the fates have to figure out another way to (to quote dickens) "reduce the surplus population". if you know me well, you know i've been calling "pandemic" for a dozen years. it was bound to happen. but, again ... 98% is a number i'll bet on.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, things could be a lot worse. Back in the 1300s the Black Death took 30 to 60% of the population of Europe. Of course they didn’t have antibiotics or soap or Purell even.

B

Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk through life like a surgeon.

Seriously. I push open doors with my hips, or if they pull, I use my sleeve, I hit elevator buttons and touch screens with my knuckles, and I NEVER touch my face. Ever. And of course I wash my hands a lot...

The outbreak has me mildly worried... but my hygiene won't change, because it's already pretty dang good. (...though I have considered wrapping myself in saran wrap...)

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just the opposite - i rarely take care about ... well ... anything.

i'm not trolling ... hear me out - and i don't believe this works unless you have practiced it for a lifetime.

i wash my hands after the bathroom & when they are dirty
i don't go around licking doorknobs, but i'm not particularly careful either
i have never gotten a flu shot

i have played in the mud & dirt my whole life. i spend a lot of time outdoors breathing in whatever comes my way from 1000 kinds of pollen, diesel fuel to a number of aerosols. i get cut, i get burned & i smash digits. i butcher wild game & i go outside without a sweater.

i have been exposed to all manner of poopie poop, literally & figuratively.

again, i'm not being stupid (by my measure, at least) but, i believe the more you are exposed to - the less it bothers you.

Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely on board for the wave of "Wash Yer Demmed Hands" that this outbreak is precipitating.

So yes. Wash yer hands. Don't touch yer face (unless yer hands are just washed). Don't close-talk with people. (Do you know how many times I've been icked-out by a close-talker inadvertently projecting little spittle bits onto my face? Ewwwwww. I'm going to start saying I'm sick, just so that these folks will back the heck up, and I can avoid the close-talker spittle splash zone. Ninja )

www.karynobryant.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different cultures speak at different personal space measurements. In high school I had a Greek Latin teacher... basically a teacher of Latin who was an immigrant from Greece. His preferred distance for a personal conversation was about 6 inches while holding on to your forearm... oh and just enough spittle to make it truly challenging. It worked in that I vividly remember more of what he told me than most other teachers of that era, but sheesh....

B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: