VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

having a hard day?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: having a hard day? Reply with quote

i thought i was having a hard day today - dealing with clients & the things we deal with. then i saw a guy alongside the road, holding a sign in the cold & the rain, then i saw a guy digging in the muck with a shovel in the cold & rain.

no real message - just that.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aimlessly stumble around between microphone and desk, generally oblivious to the machinations of the real world. Occasionally I have been know to take it all for granted.

Once in a while I have to schlepp my backside into NYC to visit some annoying client who insists that I be there in person rather than use a perfectly good ISDN or SourceConnect line. My peak annoyance comes when I'm on the train heading into Gotham... then usually, while crawling through the marshaling yards in Queens prior to hitting Manhattan, I see all the Long Island Railroad guys working the tracks... hard hats and orange safety tabards... freezing cold or sweltering heat... rain or snow.

I am somewhat chagrined.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post. I just got off the phone with the doctor. I just found out have a torn meniscus.

I had a vacation planned to go to Indian Wells for the tennis tournament in three weeks and to play with a bunch of people I know that go every year. I haven't had a vacation in three years and I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Now... well, I guess not.

I found out about this 15 minutes ago and while I'm sitting here getting upset, I saw your post, 'Having a hard day?' Because of your post I'm reminded that I don't have cancer, like one of my friends has and another one had and is in remission. Both have had to go through a ton of medical procedures I wouldn't wish on anyone.

All I have is a torn, repairable knee. So I'm a pretty luck guy.

Thanks Todd. A very well placed message. At least for me.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
I just found out have a torn meniscus.

Bit of a jack here, but I figure it's in my name so...

I have been dealing w a torn meniscus as well, Rick (also tennis-related). I was on track for surgery when a new ortho suggested trying a hyaluronic acid injection. If it didn't work, he said, I could always do surgery. I was skeptical, but he insisted the science was sound and that, according to him, "most treatments will be biological rather than mechanical in the coming decade."

I tried it. Nothing much for a couple of weeks, then--wow, my knee is back to about 95% and i don't think about it. Importantly (to me), I'm playing tennis again. Will it last? I don't know, but I'm thrilled to have forestalled, or even obviated, surgery for the time being.

One drawback: these injections are NOT covered by insurance, and they are not cheap. Surgery IS covered, but I don't want to be cut and fiddled with for a long time if I can help it.

Anyway, something to think about as you go about your treatment plan.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I avoid tennis (or any similar activities). Seriously, when was the last time you heard of a couch-related injury?

Wink
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
Rick Riley wrote:
I just found out have a torn meniscus.

I was on track for surgery when a new ortho suggested trying a hyaluronic acid injection. If it didn't work, he said, I could always do surgery. I was skeptical, but he insisted the science was sound and that, according to him, "most treatments will be biological rather than mechanical in the coming decade."

... something to think about as you go about your treatment plan.

YOU, my friend, are a saint!

My doctor is on vacation and the nurse wanted to refer me to an orthopedic surgeon right away, to which I agreed. After thinking about it last night, I called and left a message that I will wait until the doctor returns, see the pictures and discuss options.

As a tennis player, you know that it’s a game you don’t want to give up. It’s 95% of my social life. My wife plays, my daughter plays high school varsity and I captain her USTA JT team.

Sports injuries happen and thanks to you I’ve got an option to at least discuss for this one!

Thanks for ‘jacking’ the thread Jack. Extremely appreciated!!!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
Thanks for ‘jacking’ the thread Jack. Extremely appreciated!!!

My pleasure--we tennis players have to look out for each other :)

I hope this helps you, Rick. It's been wonderful for me. I would research carefully to find a doc who has done a bunch of these injections before going forward with it. It requires a sonograph and a pair of expert hands so let me know if you want my doc to make a recommendation--or if you want my doc's info.

There is also the realm of PRP injections, for which Tiger Woods is famous in his long road back to health (however precarious that health is after so many surgeries and other procedures--may he remain strong and in playing form for many years to come, I say). I didn't go down that road but it's something else to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: