VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No More iTunes... What Next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: No More iTunes... What Next? Reply with quote

Hello Mac fans. I'm thinking about upgrading my Mac software to Catalina, the latest iteration of OSX. I'm realizing that I will lose iTunes which I have used for well over a decade to store my personal music and importantly my production music and SFX. I also use it for all my conversions to MP3 for auditions and such. My editing software also converts audio to MP3 but I've enjoyed keeping things separate ... kind of like how I still occasionally opt for a paper receipt I guess.

If you're a Catalina user has it overall been good for you? Any problems with editing software? And most importantly what am I going to use for all of my stored music and SFX files (many many thousands)?

I know there's an Apple Music app which I have on my iPhone, but I hate it sincerely for one thing: If my bluetooth is on in my car Apple Music starts playing some random song from the hundreds on my phone when I start the car, and it's a pain to go into the phone and shut down the Music app. OR, it will start playing a chapter from a recently listened to audiobook on the Audible app. I've searched the web (it's a big issue apparently with some folks) and Apple has ignored fixing it for years now. Boo, hiss.

Anyway, what's next if I decide to upgrade to Catalina?

Many thanks!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rack mount CPU from Sweetwater using Windows 10, so I have no knowledge of MAC or skin in this game. But why would Apple do this? ELIMINIATING iTUNES… REALLY???

I too have used iTunes for at least a decade and bought hundreds of songs through them. It’s super convenient. And if I want to do some production (for myself of course) I can just drag a song from iTunes into Pro Tools and it’s right there. To just say, ‘Hey, this update gets rid of all that and now here’s an app that you may or may not like, blows me away.

It seems to me that MAC users are constantly struggling with OS updates and compatibility issues, but this, IMO, would be way beyond that!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer rick's question - it's because they and all of their minions are evil, evil people. i, personally, hate itunes & don't miss it ... but that doesn't change the fact that everyone who works for or near apple and their entire families are horrible, sadistic people who are likely carriers of coronavirus and keep puppies on a heavy chain in the back yard even in winter.

Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
...everyone who works for or near apple and their entire families are horrible, sadistic people who are likely carriers of coronavirus and keep puppies on a heavy chain in the back yard even in winter.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
ShaneGraham057
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using VLC?

Its a cross platform media player that darn near plays everything that you throw at it, and it also has the capability to convert media as well.

If it hasn't crossed your radar, it might be worth a look. (And its open source)

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... we seem to be running close to Mac/PC wars here Smile

I think the situation has been somewhat over-stated. My understanding is that the functionality of iTunes under Mac OS 10.15 Catalina has been integrated more into the core OS, rather than one single "iTunes" entity. Music goes to the Apple Music application, and TV/Movies go to the Apple TV application. and podcasts to the Apple Podcasts application. Libraries (and purchases) are preserved.

As for Windows support for iTunes... who knows? (I've been Mac since 2006)

As for "minions of evil" - well, as much as I like Apple stuff, I find it difficult to actually argue this point.

I still haven't upgraded... but that's due to a lack of a clear and unequivocal go-ahead from other software suppliers (Audient, Adobe, etc.)... not for fear of losing my iTunes music library (which currently sits at 49,109 songs).
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be merely "emeritus" now, but I can still pull this message board over if you kids misbehave.

Straighten up with the flamey blaminess.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was forced into the mac-verse some years ago, and while i am no fanboy, if i thought anyone at all would take that post seriously, i wouldn't have made it. so - as doyle hargraves said in "slingblade" ... "now, vaughn, i don't believe i hit you, so no apology needed there."

oh --- and VLC is the awesomeness.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as we don’t get into which platform is better we’re OK. PC users have plenty to gripe about with Microsoft and Mac users can certainly tear into Apple. And Todd is in the unique position of having one computer that runs on both operating systems so he can be an equal opportunity hater if he wants I guess.

I’m actually just trying to decide to upgrade or not and if I do how do I keep the functionality of iTunes. I have this nifty separate app that lets me view just my production music and sound effects on iTunes, or just my best auditions and clips for assembling new demos, or just personal music, or just recent work product. I’m not seeing that with the Music app on my iPhone so I’m a wee bit concerned.

Thank you for your positive suggestions on how to move forward.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneGraham057 wrote:
Have you considered using VLC?

Its a cross platform media player that darn near plays everything that you throw at it, and it also has the capability to convert media as well.

If it hasn't crossed your radar, it might be worth a look. (And its open source)

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

strong seconded on VLC. it's been my goto media player for a very, very long time. it conveniently comes with a huge number of video codecs built in which is very nice when receiving videos to sync to that are in … odd formats.

-= george =-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: