VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The results are in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: The results are in! Reply with quote

2019 research conclusion. The majority of people trying to sell "The Secret to voiceover success" have the same degree of authority as the "Do not tumble dry" label on a silk blouse.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to post something to that effect but you beat me to it. bravo.

is it my imagination or has the number of entities making their dimes from voice actors not actually utilizing their voice acting skills skyrocketed in the last few years? the secrets to this, the bible of that, classes, courses, seminars, monthly access to this person's this, one-time-only purchase of access to a totally unique and complete solution of a cookie cutter business building model offered by a whole mess of other entities, etc.

I probably shouldn't be surprised, but isn't voice over niche enough that there can't be that successful of a business making money off of the actors? or is it more along the lines of "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks?" applying to every single possible profession?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many trying to fleece too many.

In a polite way I ask people who are trying to sell to me to demonstrate, prove or otherwise show their success. Whilst our "art" (and what I do ain't art) is an abstract, a concept, vague notions from people with cashmere sweaters draped over their shoulders shared with a dreary anecdote and a camp flourish, we need to pay our bills.

It's vulgar to talk about money! Fair play. You share and I'll decide if what you share is worth a small honorarium or a dismissive wave.

"Quentin, away with your nonsense, I do not care for it!"

Voice Over people need to be equipped to earn a shilling and those supplying the market are signally failing to do so. A plague on their houses and may the stench of a thousand Camels visit their tents during luncheon.

When people hire someone to record something they are uniquely generous, patient and uncommonly kind. When the "voice" doesn't know something or fails to understand they take them gently by the hand and guide them to the end result, then put a check in the mail.

We have come full circle. Late 1989 I started to blunder about buggering things up as I went along and people sweetly steered me to a living wage. 2020 the same approach appears to be, once again, the way to voice over Heaven.

Save your coins. Why?

As it ever was.

They either like you or they don't!
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair

were I to NOT heed the "do not tumble dry" label on anything that belongs to my wife, there would be an excessive but appropriate amount of authority rendered.

my nod goes to the label.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered my services as a voiceover coach/consultant in the first decade of this millennium. I'm a good teacher, an honest teacher. Probably too honest in that I gave every interested party a free half hour session in my studio to see what they could do with simple copy and simple direction. I turned 8 out of 10 away, encouraging them to try theater and theater classes or Toastmasters.

I don't have hard numbers in front of me but memory says I took on about 24 students/consultees in that time. I dismissed half of them after 2 or 3 lessons for not doing their "homework". I guess they fooled me enough to take them on, but they just weren't dedicated enough reach down and find their performing spirit. I couldn't take their money and then launch them into the world with "trained by Bruce Miles" on their résumé.

The remaining 12 completed demos (pretty decent quality if I do say so myself), I introduced them to people they should know and waited to hear back about their building success. Two, just two, found a fair amount of success. One of them has 17 books on Audible and is now a very busy producer of independent movies and television. The other loved the theater she came from even more and is busy living that life. Most of the other 10 faded away, just giving up.

So, if you care about being kind and honest, and making a living that way, voiceover training may not be for you!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
isn't voice over niche enough that there can't be that successful of a business making money off of the actors?

The money is to be made off wannabe actors -- the ones who read articles on the easy money people rake in doing voiceovers, especially their favorite movie and TV stars who regale magazine writers and talk show hosts with stories about the big bucks they get for doing practically nothing. And then there are all those guys who keep being told they have a great voice by people who have absolutely no connection to the business. And I suspect the biggest group are the ones that think it could be a lucrative side hustle for what they believe is "just talking," and so easy anyone can do it.

With the preponderance of seminars and conferences and webinars that seem as if they could be pretty lucrative for the people behind them, I have been asking myself, "How can I get in on the action and monetize my skills and decades of experience?" And then it hit me: I can do voiceovers.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

They either like you or they don't!

Can I get an Amen?

Bruce wrote:

...if you care about being kind and honest...voiceover training may not be for you!

I'm going to need another Amen.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was moe egan who said "i want to be the voice in your head" - that's the sum total of it. the client has a voice in their head - sometimes you ain't it --- luckily --- sometimes you are.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
...the client has a voice in their head - sometimes you ain't it --- luckily --- sometimes you are.

And of course sometimes the client has no voice in their head and is looking for an answer, or they have one but yours is better for the task at hand.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first piece of advice to beginners is to avoid the YouTube gurus and buy the book below, read it, and get back to me. No one has ever gotten back to me. It's a little test to see how serious they are.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
My first piece of advice to beginners is to avoid the YouTube gurus and buy the book below, read it, and get back to me.

My first piece of advice is to drive to Dan's house, start waxing his cars in silence, and wait for him to either dismiss you or become your Miagi.

I still think 6.5 months was a long time for Dan to decide, but my own waxing skills are now off the charts.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:

I still think 6.5 months was a long time for Dan to decide, but my own waxing skills are now off the charts.

He can be a little persnickety about that Mercedes, Jack Wink
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yur damn skippy I am.

Last edited by Dan-O on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, wax on, wax off.

Those who can do. Those who can't do, - teach, those who can't teach go into the military to learn how to "do", those who can't go into the military go into politics and then into teaching others how not to "do".

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: