VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paging George Whittam re: Headphones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my DT 770s. Yes, they are very comfortable. I don't get into to many sonic arguments, since I'm sure that 30 years of radio left its mark on my hearing.
When I started in the biz, I was using the Radio Shack Duophones. Remember those - stethoscope like. Later graduated to the Koss Pro 4AA (free lifetime repairs!!) and then Koss changed something, and they weren't like before.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the Sony's are the most comfortable for directed sessions or short use but they fried my ears when I use to wear them all day, that high end get's really harsh after a while. Sony's also fold up nicely for travel cans.

The 770s didn't have that problem nearly as bad.

That said, I'm almost 100% just on studio monitors, these days, if it's not a directed session.
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my... I hadn;t EVER thought of My Headphone Timeline...
first were some classic bakelite hockypucks that came with a Hallicrafters ham receiver...
Then the KOS KO-727's ( small radio speakers in a nice cup... I had ARRIVED!)
After that came the 80's YAMAHA headphones which were the most neutral thing I;d heard... I'd found there was a Better PLace...

Along came the SHURE 7506 which, like the YAMAHA NS-10 monitor speaker, is a long way from ACCURATE or NATURAL or even PLEASANT but bombproof and you tend not to make mistakes with them... have several.

Then I was working with a classical recordist and he had (WARNING: We Are Approaching Lamborghini-Strata... take your seats) STAX LAMBDA-PROs.
In 1980 dollars these were $1500 worth of large open kinda-not-square cages on either side of your head that sounded like NOTHING... just a magical transport of your hearing to Somewhere ELse... somewhere sonic that was more-real than what you had heard before you put them on. I bought a pair of STAX SR-34's for like 1/10 of that cost.

The I got a deal on BEYER DT990's... as mentioned here they are large COMFY open-air headphones (NOT for booth work) but for anything else WONDERFUL and at least in the ballpark of teh high end STAX
. The Beyer DT770 is a closed-back version and almost as nice... again SUPER comfy for long use. Sennheiser makes similar...
RexAnderson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the 7506's and the DT770's. After the second time my 7506's shorted out on the right side (an engineer at a studio I work with was kind enough to give me one of their half-dead pair to cannablize for parts for the first repair), I sprung for the DT770s. Absolutely destroys the 7506 in terms of balance, depth, and comfort. The 7506's are a little more in your face, which made them great for editing out even the tiniest of mistakes, but the DT770's just shine on everything. I love listening back on them, I can wear them all day, and best of all they don't die on me constantly. They're absolutely worth the extra ~$120ish bucks.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredging up an old post to ask a question about the DT770s:

has anyone found a specific difference between 80ohm and 250ohm models? or is everyone using the 32ohm version and i'm asking the wrong question?

in reading a few online reviews (ymmv) the theme i'm finding is that the 80ohm models are great for fun listening, the 250ohm model for critical listening. any thoughts on that?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically have stayed away from headphones and have just used monitors in my studio until now. My lovely wife bought me a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3 headphones and it rekindled my love of listening to music privately. So me being me, I checked out how they performed on my recording setup and they are stellar. I wouldn't have thought to buy a set just for myself but sure am glad my wife dove right in. They are pricey but the sound is music studio quality and gives me a renewed sense of how good technology and home studios can be today.

My current setup is a Langevin CR3A mic (Same capsule as the Manley Reference Mic but with different circuitry.)
Neve Portico 5032 Pre/EQ
Focusrite Forte A/D converter/Soundcard
Custom 3.2ghz PC based workstation
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:

has anyone found a specific difference between 80ohm and 250ohm models? or is everyone using the 32ohm version and i'm asking the wrong question?

Most people (myself included) use the 80 ohm model. It's just fine for what we do and does not require particularly high power to drive. The 250 ohm model does require a lot of power to drive the cans--the headphone outputs of many interfaces may lack sufficient power. Although the 250s are considered more detailed, it's overkill for voice recordings. But some folks seem to love them.

The 80s are really excellent--and the sound is as close to unbiased as it gets.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
George wrote:

Most people (myself included) use the 80 ohm model. It's just fine for what we do and does not require particularly high power to drive. The 250 ohm model does require a lot of power to drive the cans--the headphone outputs of many interfaces may lack sufficient power. Although the 250s are considered more detailed, it's overkill for voice recordings. But some folks seem to love them.

The 80s are really excellent--and the sound is as close to unbiased as it gets.

fantastic feedback. I really appreciate the insight.

in a bizarre twist and through a local connection, I ended up acquiring a pair of 250ohm in trade for some other equipment that I was no longer using and have not yet needed to get an amplifier out of the closet. the two audio interfaces I've tried it with so far (Steinberg CI2 and UR-RT2) are capable of driving them quite sufficiently and I completely agree: the sound is stunning. I can't hear any bleed when tracking and they are sooooooooooo comfortable. wonderful addition to the family. (:
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGREE with George on the 250-vs-80 versions of the beyers... I have both and the difference is infinitesimal...

what IS important is that you can get the volume you need... I drive the 250's direct off a Crown 60w amp... normal headphones would explode. (as would the 80 ohm Beyer) but the lo impedance ones are loud on anything like usual mixer and interface headphone jacks.

as to 990's vs Sen 600's (open back transparency) try em both.
as to the closed 770's no question ever!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No headphones here. I leave my speakers on and mute the mic when recording. Benefits are twofold, 1 - It saves time editing and of course 2.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't worn cans in years - but i'd like to nominate this thread as the (so far) longest continuously-running thread on the vo-bb --- 6 months & counting!

George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do a double take when reading Philp's response before I realized the context. forums are fun. Laugh

I thought I should specify something. the headphones came with two sets of pads: the ones that are presently installed are some kind of memory foam. the other ones (silver in color, I believe he told me they're the originals) are soft and bounce back quickly to their original shape. I traded them out and found that the originals had a surprising amount of bleed into the mic when recording at a safe distance away. the memory foam ones had no such leak. very interesting.

I only noticed the leak because the project I was working on was an overdub and I could hear the original language as a bit of bleed when listening back for edits. anyone else run into this?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
I had to do a double take when reading Philp's response before I realized the context. forums are fun. Laugh

(in my best Peter Griffin) Therrre ya go.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been more or less happy with my Sony 7506 headphones but they do wear on my outer ears in long edit sessions (I am part elf you know). So hunting for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm, I found a good deal today at HHGregg and because I did it through their relationship with Google shopping I got $20 off an already good price and free shipping. Total $119.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I've been more or less happy with my Sony 7506 headphones but they do wear on my outer ears in long edit sessions (I am part elf you know). So hunting for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm, I found a good deal today at HHGregg and because I did it through their relationship with Google shopping I got $20 off an already good price and free shipping. Total $119.

B

excellent deal! i'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how they sound to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: