VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factual dubbing, not silly voices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Factual dubbing, not silly voices Reply with quote

I sometimes get asked to read the English translation for foreign nationals doing pieces to camera, I'm certain the same is true for most of you..

"Philip, please change your voice for Mr A and again for Mr B" asked Sabine the Senior Producer. I sort of started to do it and then politely explained why it would sound silly. It not only sounds silly when I do it but also when any VO does it. Not drama, not voice acting, it's just translation.

I did it the way Sabine asked and then did my - This is what you do - bit, politely.

"In the dub/edit allow the person doing the piece to camera to speak for a second or two then fade their voice to allow me to do the heavy lifting." I am not in character, I am simply telling non German speaking, non Korean speaking people what Dave and then Dave are saying.

Anyone who believes that it is our job to educate clients has delusions of adequacy. We sometimes should make constructive suggestions, diplomatically, for the good of the project.

"Sabine, lovely to meet you, the session was a delight and you have options"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZXnCTJazPc
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Koreanness and your Germanness on the overdubs was as lovely as a lovely thing could be.

And you were lucky to have a foreign script written by someone who actually knows English!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
And you were lucky to have a foreign script written by someone who actually knows English!
Some days I'm grateful for an English script written by someone who actually knows English! It's becoming rarer and rarer.

Anyhoo... (I watched it all because it was both interesting and made interesting) that was a small masterclass on voiceovering. Each character had a distinct voice, without playing with "characters". We (well, not us... they) over-think. If that had taken a more dubious route to market, it would have been listed as: "Need VO who can do British, German, and Korean accents... must be authentic. $100. All-media buy-out in perpetuity."

Now I want a Kloud beer (terrible name for a beer, by the way... "cloudy" beer?)
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Some days I'm grateful for an English script written by someone who actually knows English!

This.

I have a client who routinely provides me with scripts written by radio station sales people. Some of the gems they have come up with include a reference to the ceiling of the "Sixteenth Chapel," or a garden center selling plants, including "egg corn squash." Had Darwin met some of these people, he might have re-thought his position on evolution.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe when I hear "we need to educate our clients." I think: "Who's this 'we,' bub?"
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Factual dubbing, not silly voices Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Anyone who believes that it is our job to educate clients has delusions of adequacy.

I do love the phrase "delusions of adequacy".
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Educating" clients... the only "education" they need is my correct address for the cheque, or my bank details for the transfer Smile

Seriously... I had an interesting exchange with a VO friend the other day. She's fairly new to the business and local to me. We have coffee occasionally and I try to be helpful whenever she needs some help or guidance (without being too didactic). Anyway, she had her first directed session (local recording) and we spent some time setting-up her Skype and going through expectations for when the producer and the client are on the line. To make it more interesting, the others would be in Portugal. The script arrived, and while it was easy to understand the meaning, the grammar had been taken out, stood against the wall, blindfolded, and shot. Probably Google translate from the original Portuguese.

OK... first run, read it as best you can and then gently volunteer that you're "not getting the meter of it" (There's a massive difference between "I'm not getting it" and "Your script sucks!") Have alternatives ready to offer. Bottom line is that the client understood the failings of the translation and was grateful for the suggestions. No one was "educated"... but everyone was helped.

(... and if one more VO proudly tells me they've given their client the GVAA rate guide, I'm going to have the mother of all hissy-fits!)
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Factual dubbing, not silly voices Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Anyone who believes that it is our job to educate clients has delusions of adequacy. We sometimes should make constructive suggestions, diplomatically, for the good of the project.

Always for the good of the project. Rarely ever for any other purpose.

Cheers for the anecdote, Philip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: