VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Business Etiquette Dead?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Is Business Etiquette Dead? Reply with quote

Or even common courtesy, for that matter.

Say you arrange with someone (whose services you're considering hiring) to have a phone chat on a specified day and time. And say you've moved other commitments to be sure the phone chat can take place. And say the appointed time for the phone chat comes... and goes... and, after waiting 15... 30... even 45 minutes, you decide to run a necessary errand instead. And, when you return, there is a voicemail from that person, that was recorded at exactly one hour after the appointed time, and that voicemail does not even acknowledge, let alone apologize for missing, the appointed time.

What is that all about? It's bad enough, when we have a doctor appointment, that we get there before the appointed time and are then expected to wait often up to an hour before we are seen.

Am I too sensitive in believing I need to say something to this person, such as, "Been in business very long?" Or, "Did your parents not teach manners?"

Just checking.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be dead... but it is laying alone in a gutter somewhere, bleeding profusely from a nasty gash to the temple... and I'm afraid that common courtesy (like its close cousin, common sense) has suffered the same fate.

Even if it's not a courtesy thing... if I stand to build a business relationship (and maybe make some money) by simply turning up on time... then that's what I do... and if I can't (because, y'know... life happens), then I will move mountains to let the other person know... and if that fails, be contrite when I do get to speak to them.

However, I have been told recently that I'm somewhat old fashioned.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they forgot to set their clock back over the weekend?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most pompous things I hear VO people say is "It's our job to educate our clients!" No it isn't. It's our job to do our job and 90% of the time it really is just reading out loud. On the C major scale most VO people are unable to get passed the 3rd note, E or as it is sung Me. Oh yeah. Me me me!

A few years ago a friend turned up at my house at 5.30pm.

"I'm sorry, I said I'd be here at 12" she announced as she walked through the front door.

I shrugged.

"It's ok, I didn't believe you"

My blood pressure fell to reasonable levels when I stopped worrying about the appalling way many people behave.

A few years ago my life changed when I caught myself in a hotel room in New York on a beautiful Sunday morning. I was waiting for a phone to arrange lunch, I was waiting to see someone for whom I had a gift* AND I was waiting for 2 people who had been out until the early hours partying so we could have breakfast together.

The gift went in the garbage, the call didn't come because the top international pro voice could not use her phone because she couldn't afford the international call plan for her cell service and the sleeping babies slept on. I went for breakfast and a long walk...

My default position is that people are not selfish, are always accommodating and selfless BUT since my eureka moment in NYC, Baseball rules apply. 3 STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT!

*I shared this story with Nancy Wolfson and she paid a small fortune to a therapist because she found the fact that I had thrown a piece of jewellery into the rubbish bin so distressing.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it have been a time zone issue.

or an a$$hat.

SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. My guess is time zone. Always verify what time zone the other party is in...
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a rude dinner guest that doesn’t mean you stop having dinner parties. You just don’t invite the rude one again.

I was at a vo audition this week and the CD told me today’s vo generation are late 9 out of 10 times as in person auditions are such a rarity. The ease of the home studio is the culprit. This was a huge Class A campaign, and the CD turned these late actors away. Now, not those whose agents called to warn their client is stuck in traffic or coming from another session. The blatantly rude and unprofessional ones were turned away.

But there were plenty of pros who were on time and got the chance to audition.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy used to say - "if you're not 10 minutes early, you're late."

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My life is so much easier now that I've learned to aim for 5 to 15 minutes early for a session or appointment.

I did a lot of film and video work back in the day and the rule for crew was be there 15 to 30 minutes before your call time. Smart on-camera talent also got there early. Of course craft services usually gets there before everybody else to set up coffee and breakfast items. Don't want to miss that at O-dark-30!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought did cross my mind that it might've been a time zone issue... but it wasn't.

I can't remember the last time I was late for an appointment. When going to a doctor's office, I try to get there at least 15 minutes before, just in the odd chance that another patient cancels or doesn't show, allowing me to get in and out of there sooner. (And that allows me time to visit the chocolate shop, right across the street, who makes all kinds of fudge right there, in the store.)

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a session or appointment time isn't met, I drop an email to someone in charge after 10 minutes, whether is be to my agent, the studio, or the client directly with respect to chain of command, asking if everything is OK.

Most times the tardiness is due to an unrelated meeting running long.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
couldn't afford the international call plan for her cell service

Do you have ANY idea how much international cell calls are here? Gasp Sarcastic Rolls Eyes
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a top pro international Voice Actor who coaches others how to be top pro voice actors and has four massive Yachts before breakfast the cost is PEANUTS, less than a bottle of Peruvian Gold (Sustainably Sourced). She ate alone that day. Still in therapy for the trauma of not having anyone with whom to split the check. As many of you know I simply pay the entire bill (check) then go to the pub. I'm not generous I simply enjoy watching people's heads explode.

"I don't even know him and he bought me fries and a root beer. He must want me for sex!"

"Dave, you're 78 years old and he's not that kinda guy!"

"OH YEAH! I am SO still hot and that's what he WANTS you to think!"

The restaurant of choice was Ethiopian Traditional. Diners are seated in the scorched wreckage of a UN Toyota Land Cruiser, they order what they like then wait for 3 days until a 5 ton truck arrives with sacks of a high protein, carb and dried milk mix on board. As the excitement of the diners peaks a Toyota Pick-up crashes into the building. Eight 14 year old boys armed with AK47s jump off the back, fire 200 rounds into the ceiling, steal the sacks of food then drive off towards their secret camp situated next to a Vietnamese Nail Bar in Soho. Service Not Included.

Five Stars on TripAdviser FYI

Last edited by Philip Banks on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and THAT, my friends, is why i come here.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writer V.S. Naipaul, an estimable writer if you know him, and still an estimable writer if you don't, is well known for his intolerance of casual discourtesy. According to Paul Theroux, Naipaul prepared a signed copy of one of his novels for a dignitary who was to meet him for lunch. The dignitary showed up a half hour after the appointed time, and though Naipaul was courteous, the signed book was never produced. He later said, "Never give a person a second chance. If someone lets you down once, he'll do it again."

This would be difficult here in LA, where being late is a point of pride for so many; but I will content myself by always being early for anything professional and thus avoid giving people the opportunity to despise me for my discourtesy, especially given how many other, better reasons for loathing I afford.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: