VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Quality & Specs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Audio Quality & Specs Reply with quote

While recording at the proper specs is preferred, how much of a loss in quality (discernable to the ear) would occur in converting voice-over from 44.1k to 48k?

Thanks.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human speech. No one is able to tell the difference. Anyone who claims otherwise will be dealt with most severely by Constable Gupreet Kaur.

Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Thank you, Philip. But I may need that Constable, after all:

I just realized how silly of me it was to post this question, when I could've done a conversion and listened for myself.

Oh, dear.

Well, it was early in the morning, and I hadn't had breakfast yet.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years now there’s been the distinction between “broadcast quality” which means clean and sharp enough that most people think it’s fine, and “high quality” which is a level that only young audio geeks and dogs can appreciate. I’m concerned that even young people may stop caring as they build calluses on their ear drums from video gaming and loud ear bud use.

Ain’t technology grand?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Haute Qualite`
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The direct answer to your question of converting 44.1 to 48 (or the reverse) is to be sure not to use a lousy convertor. Most these days do a seamless job.

In my time as a musician, hifi enthusiast, broadcast technician and general tech geek, while I understand the existence and sometime need of incredibly high-definition audio * (2x to 4x CD-standard 44.1k), I still am happy with something that can simply hit a flat frequency response from say, 50-15kHz (FM radio).
44.1/16bit audio files (again CD) can do 20-20kHz and
48 goes up further in inaudibility to 22kHz...
both well past most folks' hearing capability.

The reason 48k exists is NOT because it's in any way significantly 'better' than 44.1, it isn't... but because of a mandate in the 80's when the DAT format was released (assuming it would supplant analog cassettes) and copyright fears forced DAT to record at 48k only because folks then could not make copies of their 44.1 CD's directly to the 48k DAT.

Use both or either with reckless abandon (or with the band off as you see fit) and use any common convertor to make the format what the client wants to see.
48 has, for no reason I can see, become more common than 44.1
go fig
WHat I WOULD say to NEVER do, is have the recording file EVER go through ANY sort of mp3 conversion on its way to the client as a final delivery track for use...

I have just finished a Christmas album of choral works that was recorded and mixed at 88.2kHz 24bit and will be bumped down to 44.1 for the CD
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None. Nada. Bugger-all. Zip.

That is my considered technical answer supported by a long and somewhat inglorious career in techo-boffin whizz-kid stuff dating back to 1970's telecommunication PCM systems to my current dizzying heights of voiceoverism.

Yes... there is a technical difference, but as long as you convert it properly (as opposed to using a slightly "off" three-day-old kipper) you should be golden.

... and of course (talking of golden) there are some necromancers out there who purport to have such magical ears that they can tell the difference between a system using regular or gold speaker wires. These people lie (and they usually live in their mother's basements).
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
These people lie (and they usually live in their mother's basements).

"Neville, what ARE you doing down there?"

"Just adding bars and tone to my anorak, Mother. It'll stop blind and partially sighted people bumping into me on the way to the Pixel and db Society, they always stink of Labradors! Kindly do not interrupt me again UNTIL it is 1630 ZULU when it will be time for my Ovaltine and Gingerbread man!"

Last edited by Philip Banks on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Testing complete:

With my double-pane windows closed (not in a booth), I can hear the low frequency rumble of a vehicle idling up to about 20-30 yards away (it actually becomes annoying when vehicles are left idling for more than a couple of minutes). And, until only several years ago, the high frequency tone generated by the "mosquito" anti-loitering devices used in some retails stores would drive me out, hands clasped over my ears.

I use Adobe Audition (CS6), and I copied from an unprocessed voiceover file recorded at 24/48 and pasted it into a 16/44 file (which converts it), saved and re-opened and, with my trusty Sony MDR-7506 headphones, I could not hear a difference.

I'm happy! 😎

Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRIKEY!

I did NOT mean to suggest that I'm one of those who claims to detect whether gold speaker wires are being used. I know what I hear, but I'm not a lunatic.

Yet.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't hear a difference. I don't think I've ever heard a glitch from conversion between 44.1 and 48 using modern software. But why would anyone record at 44.1 when the final product is to be delivered at 48? Makes no sense. If you're recording for tv/video (promo, trailer, narration), it's going to be converted to 48. Many production houses are fine with whatever you give them, but some of the bigger houses will reject a file that is not 48/24. Why not just make it easy on yourself and record and deliver at the correct rate? it's not like we're desperate for storage space these days.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I do everything 48kHz/24bit ... and on the rare occasion the client has specified 44.1kHz or 16-bit, I'll convert as necessary. The conversion process is clean and simple (even for mp3 files). All my files are archived at 48/24... bulk storage is as cheap as chips nowadays, so there's not good reason not to.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always record at the required rate. The reason for asking the question was because sometimes I receive audio from others who were asked, but simply forgot to record at the requested specs.

No, it makes no sense to purposely record at a lower rate and then convert upwards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: