VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Boy. Another P2P.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Oh Boy. Another P2P. Reply with quote

Only this one’s different. YOU don’t have to pay to join or when you get a job. We’ll see.

https://www.nethervoice.com/bodalgo-founder-launches-new-voice-casting-site/

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well --- for one thing, he stole paul strikwerda's branding?!?

Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Todd!

I'm pretty excited about this one. Armin is at "troll level: expert" in nabbing the Voices Dot Net URL. And he's rocking it for all it's worth.

I hope it takes off like a rocket, and that VDC goes down in the flames of the 12th level of Hades.

www.karynobryant.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get into the whole P2P debate, but if there were to be only one P2P site, I'd want Armin to run it. He's engaged with the community and listens to what people say... more than that, he acts on what he hears.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite comment:
DaveC AUGUST 18, 2019
If the “Other Company” is as obnoxious as you’ve said, I wouldn’t be surprised if they file a challenge or legal complaint over similarity.

Armin Hierstetter Reply:
August 18th, 2019 at 8:10 pm

On what grounds. As explained in the interview, the term “voices” can not be trademarked in the EU. On the other hand, “voices.net” and “voices network” are trademarked. By me.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaay for this news! Armin has responded quickly and personally to every email inquiry I have ever sent him, and Bodalgo is a solid and professional platform. I hope this new one takes off. (and now to go check it out)

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did not need P2P sites, we do NOT need P2P sites and we CERTAINLY do not need ANOTHER P2P site. Clients do not need P2P sites in fact they welcome being rescued from them. We do not need an agent led casting site, a Union or association backed casting site. What we all need to do is start talking, properly to the people who need to hire us, would like to hire us or would simply like to know how things work. This communication conducted in such a manner that they do not feel they have been patronised by experts or have joined a cult.

"Welcome Brother Voice Seeker. How may I shoulder your burden"

It would appear there are two solutions to the problems in our business.

1 - Set up another web site.
2 - Market another voice over convention
3 - Lie about the number of solutions to the problems in our business.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
We did not need P2P sites, we do NOT need P2P sites and we CERTAINLY do not need ANOTHER P2P site... What we all need to do is start talking, properly to the people who need to hire us, would like to hire us or would simply like to know how things work.

If not for agents, and for those that don’t have them, P2P sites, where would we find a gathering of those people who need to hire us?

I for one am happy to pay a standard industry commission or a reasonable industry fee (that leaves out VDC) to those who gather rather than spend my time hunting when it be more valuably spent producing.

I haven’t looked at this site, but I will. Probably won’t join because my plate is full. But it’s full because there are those that have gathered FOR me, as I feel their time is much better spent hunting than mine.

Once again the standard closer, 'Just my opinion'.

www.rickrileyvoice.com

Last edited by Rick Riley on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:

If not for agents, and for those that don’t have them, P2P sites, where would we find a gathering of those people who need to hire us?

I think Philip referred to agent-led casting sites, not agents per se. I get almost all of my work from my reps and return business (the last category being a big component, which I cultivate with care). These reps have worked very hard to establish trust with buyers and that is why said buyers keep coming back to them. But I also talk to a lot of people (easy here in LA) who are buyers or who help buyers make decisions, because it's simply vastly preferable to work with someone you know than some rando. Relationships and persistence are at least as important as talent and solid auditions, and that means not trusting in websites to substitute for the work of establishing relations. Armin is an interesting fellow and does seem to have something different here, so I'm game for checking it out. But I expect it will be either my first-degree relationships, and those of my agents/manager, who will continue to account for the great bulk of my work.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If not for agents, and for those that don’t have them, P2P sites, where would we find a gathering of those people who need to hire us?"

In the above, Rick makes a good point.

Here's the Pink Elephant answer. There is only a perceived gathering of eager buyers, the reality is far from the case. The worst of us (no reference to lack of ability) obsess about the business whereas the people with money to spend on us see us as part of the chain and not a very important part.

National TV commercial for chocolate bar. I received an anxious phone call from an ad agency First Former. EVERYONE had forgotten to book me for a session. Why? They had important stuff to do.

Step one for all of us is to encourage people attached to our business to stop inventing solutions for which there are no problems.

Real problem remains a ridiculous level of over supply to the extent that I read recently that the biggest talking point amongst Voice Actors was that everyone agreed that the Blue Yeti was THE industry mic.

Survey of voiceover fees in 2012 the lowest rate people would accept $100 (29% of those who replied to the questionnaire). Same question asked in 2017. 81% would accept as low as $25. What is the biggest problem facing the VO business? Us. WE'RE driving rates down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: