VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Sound Cards Reply with quote

So, I'm gathering data for the replacement of my Win 7 desktop that houses both my video editing and my audio editing "bays" It will be a custom build.
Does anyone have thoughts on which sound card I should look at? I'm reading about the Asus, and the Sound Blaster as well - both ends of the spectrum.
Cost is only little concern, as this will be a custom, but I'm curious to know what is being used by you guys.

My current system was built by the folks who build editing systems for The Discovery Channel, among others, but they have moved out of the area, and I want to deal with my local guys.
Thanks!
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron comments:
Quote:
"Cost is only little concern, as this will be a custom, but I'm curious to know what is being used by you guys."

In our world of voice over there are a plethora of options for sound devices. Your choice should not necessarily be what others consider the best option.

Let me give you some criteria, other opinions are welcome here:

Q: How many channels do you need for a voice over studio setup? What DAW are you using?
A: Two (your DAW may have many more channels available for mixing, playback, etc.).

Q: What platform are you using for your rig? Windows? Apple? Linux?

Q: Do you desire a sound card or sound plug-in device? i.e.: USB, thunderbolt, firewire, etc.

Q: As per the quote above, you likely have a cost in mind; How much do you desire to spend?

Comment: I can make qualified suggestions for a cost ranging from near $100.00 USD to tens of $1,000.00's. \

Q: What microphone are you using?

Q: Will you be using a pre-amp? Outboard mixer? Control surface? Other device(s) for shaping the sound (compressor, limiter, etc.? If so, these will change the price and the outcome of your product.

Comment: I am currently using an M-Audio Mobile Pre, MOTU 828 MKII with several outboard toys, and an MOTU 8Pre-ES (because it interfaces directly with the outboard toys).

What is your desire? Do you need expansion (more I/O's) or do you desire basic workable devices?

I wish you luck and if I may be of help, let me know.

F2
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Frank said, or consider LYNX E22 PCI EXPRESS CARD if you want supreme quality and have outboard preamps.

George
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want one piece of equipment for the studio & traveling an outboard unit would be good. Otherwise see above.
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone.
I use Marshall and EV mics into a Symetrix 528E and then Peavey mixer. Usually recording with Sound Forge and editing with Vegas on Win 7 (64bit) Most of what I do is VO for video, but I have some overseas VO clients, and some radio / commercial clients in the US.

Back when I was producing jingles I had bought a $400 sound card for my Nuendo editor, then a year later discovered (after the system crash) that neither the sound card, nor that version of Nuendo had drivers for Win 7. Since I had gotten Nuendo for a cant-pass-it-up price, I elected to go with Sound Forge, since it was in the Vegas editor.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: