VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No More ISDN - but question about SPIDS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: No More ISDN - but question about SPIDS Reply with quote

OK, I cancelled my ISDN lines, so I would think that my SPIDS are gone too. I had not used ISDN since January. However, I just got an audition with this...

Quote:
ISDN or Bridge to ISDN Ok AS long as you have spid numbers

What does this mean? Is this possible? If so, how would I get them now that I cancelled my lines?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an Internet based program that can bridge to ISDN? Source Connect (paid version) or iPDTL? There are bridging services that connect a studio's ISDN lines to your Internet based service. They will give you temporary SPID numbers to give to your client.

I haven't bridged yet but I read that the quality is 98 to 100% as good as direct.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bruce. The agent in question called me and told me basically the same thing. And I do have Source Connect, so I'll be set if it happens.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just means you can use in internet-based ISDN solution a la ipDTL, though I'm thinking their specific reference to SPID number*s* means they prefer someone with dedicated SPIDs rather than the generic "one-number entered twice." In which case, you'd need to have ipDTL's extra purchase of two dedicated SPID numbers. I would think that Source Element's vISDN service would be just as, if not more, groovy.

I use both SC and ipDTL, and in 95%+ of cases I am fine. There have been a couple of cases where the buyer demurred when I said I used ipDTL rather than true ISDN, however; in these cases I was sent to a studio of my choosing. My takeaway here is that the ISDN replacements are very good, but not complete, replacements (for an admittedly aging technology whose death has been exaggerated now for quite some time and counting). Also, with ipDTL there is the occasional "hit" due to internet vagueries; I suspect that these apparently random dings are why some of the bigger houses won't play with the internet-based services.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago isdnbridge.com was separate from SC. Then SC merged together. I think it was one of the guys that worked at SC that started that then ended up merging.

I believe they own a number of SPIDS so you may end up using the same numbers on many occasions. I've used it before and it works fine.
https://www.source-elements.com/products/isdnbridge
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving some thought to dumping my ISDN because I don't get that much call for it and could probably get away with bridging or Source Connect or iPDTL when I do. And I'm not even there to use it for five months of the year. But -- and this is crazy -- one of the reasons I hate to give it up is, I have such great SPIDS: 860-236-2001 and 2002.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thing about ISDN Bridge from Source Elements is they assign your SPIDS at the time you reserve the bridge, so you can give them to the studio immediately. You can also purchase permanent SPIDS. VISDN does use the same SPID for both B-Channels, but that's not entirely uncommon.
IPDTL I think is a similar thing.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:

IPDTL I think is a similar thing.

You can either use their standard service and get one temporary # for both SPIDs, or purchase permanent numbers (usually in the format ###-###-###1 and ###-###-###2 or similar).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: