VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A MUST listen and a MUST share!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: A MUST listen and a MUST share! Reply with quote

Yay! Go me! My FIRST Monday Motivation video for voiceactors.

If you're on social media sites please share! I want to get over 11 views by August 2025 (Wildly optimistic) https://vimeo.com/348116899

Serious note. I am really trying to test the effectiveness of social media. As you'll gather there is nothing in the video for me but I strongly suspect that this video, like the others will get less than 100 views. I tried this well over 10 years ago on a business networking site by offering people on the site a case of wine. All they had to do was send me a message with their name to go into a draw. No names would be harvested, there would be no further contact unless THEY contacted me. 1 entrant into the contest. I sent the wine. Let's see how the 2019 test goes.

As my dear friend Tess said "In order to be considered an influencer, someone of commercial value on social media , to be taken seriously you need in excess of 50,000 followers."
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a posting from a VO Marketing "expert", marketing their marketing podcast to other marketers... and I'm perfectly fine with them feeding on themselves.

I'm not 100% sure your message will go across too well. Far too many VOs on social media think these high-profile gurus are the new messiahs (rather than the four horsemen)... and you chipping away at the feet of their idols may cause them to circle the wagons (again). Oh, and most of these acolytes are totally bereft of any humour when it comes to their chosen heroes... so will immediately leap to their defense and paint you as the Evil One for challenging their belief system.

All praise the Cult of Personality... there are sheep waiting to be sheared!

It'll end in tears... mark my words Smile
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be cast as the villainous villain for my villainy!.

May be one of the right wing Christian Fundamentalist in the mythical beast that is "the voice over community" will rush to Portgordon and slap the palm of their hand on my forehead whilst yelling "OUT DEMON OUT!" at the top of their voice. Apart from the bruising I suspect there will be no positive result.

The real reason for the video had nothing to do with some tech changes here in Portgordon Post Inc and you can call me Ulah Svenson if it isn't so!

Now a proper distraction which saw me dancing with a tall Dutch woman late yesterday evening and then Capt Jenni searching for an outfit like the dancing wiggling singer.

"Philip, where is your credit card?"

NOT my favourite question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpIUQ5jwJqM
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
and you chipping away at the feet of their idols may cause them to circle the wagons (again).

That sounds like influence to me.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
... and you chipping away at the feet of their idols may cause them to circle the wagons (again). Oh, and most of these acolytes are totally bereft of any humour when it comes to their chosen heroes..

I agree that your average acolyte is beyond the reach of reason, which becomes more and more suspect every day. Yet ridicule is a powerful subverter of hucksterism, working as it does on many of the same levers.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip... don't read this... I'm going to talk about you as if you're not here Smile

Lee Gordon wrote:
That sounds like influence to me.
Yes... it may well be... but poking at someone's firmly held irrational belief system only tends to entrench them further... and that may not be a positive influence. There are many who would gladly burn Philip at the stake as a heretic if they though they could get away with it... whereas people of sound mind (aka the majority of people here on VO-BB) will understand and agree with the points being made and see the underlying (or overt) humour as an entertaining and thought-provoking vehicle for a serious point. Philip scares people because he talks real numbers, proper business practice, and calls out the crap as he sees it. This does not endear him to those who peddle the crap, nor those who worship the peddlers.

OK Philip... you can come back now.

... and Jack, I totally agree that ridicule is a powerful tool... but it's a double-edge sword that should be wielded carefully... we're seeing the results of this happening in everyday life, and it can quickly turn into preaching to the choir while the great unwashed masses huddle safely in their delusion.

I do so enjoy an interesting discussion on a Monday morning... it gets the juices flowing Smile
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
... and Jack, I totally agree that ridicule is a powerful tool... but it's a double-edge sword that should be wielded carefully...

Fair enough. Those levers can go south in a hurry Smile

Portgordon might need to up its stores of ack-ack.
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just promoted your post.........Oh crap! I just fell in to the trap of promoting another Voice Over personality on social media. When will I ever learn!!! Get Lost

British Voice Over
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that the insecure, manipulative and divisive need to exert greater control over their acolytes because what is hidden needs to remain hidden.

"Talk to Philip Banks at your peril! I did once and he turned me into Victoria Sponge made by the Ottery St Mary WI!"

A powerful argument!

Real, useable, unbiased information is as damaging to the manipulative as it is to the fearful.

The fact that I am using the above phrase in the context of people simply wanting to pay their bills doing voice over work is nothing short of a tragedy.

BTW Skirt and top secured for less than 30 quid including delivery.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I joined a newly discovered VO Facebook group that was truly the helpless being led by the clueless. After a week, I left the group. If I were to chime in with guidance the likely hood of being understood or heard was nil and challenging someone's opinion most likely would have been equal to kicking myself in the face.

As I clicked unfollow there was a tiny voice in the back of my head that said "Forums like this are job security. Let's hope they don't find the vo-bb."
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
"Forums like this are job security."

And this from a man who is nothing if not generous with his own deep VO knowledge.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
Dan-O wrote:
"Forums like this are job security."

And this from a man who is nothing if not generous with his own deep VO knowledge.

Amen to that...I learned things about promo in a 30 minute chat with Dan than I have at 5 conferences. Really.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had a social media, i would share it.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very sociable!
Now, here are the Nielsen overnights. 34 views.

Based on my Twitter followers that's a spectacular 4.73% response from the potential narrow market or 1.92% of the broader market. Numbers for my videos in the long term never get any better than that; batting average around the mid 30's. The best performer? With 133 views was this one! Were I a TV show I would've been cancelled years ago.

https://vimeo.com/147057636
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relatively boffo success of that video shows that the uber softened minds of today’s Western culture prefer a song and dance(?) routine with a man and his furry puppet to an erudite presentation on the perils of paying under experienced gurus to show one the path to voiceover enlightenment. Sigh.

Or something like that.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: