VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Ya Doin'? For 10 Bucks We'll Tell You!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: How Ya Doin'? For 10 Bucks We'll Tell You! Reply with quote

Another way for our agent friends to make money, and if it helps you it could be a good thing. Please let us know of your experience with this if you try it. Thanks!

https://www.voreview.com/

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .

Last edited by Bruce on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marice does this and it costs a whole lot more!

The only thing I can think of is if a really big dollar audition is being sent to a number of agents and the particular person doing the review ends up as being one of the agents submitting talent - that could get dicey.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is able to name any person who with a degree of credibility can second guess a decision maker in the audition process I'll happily hand over $275.45.

Clue - This is another layer of revenue generating BS we as voice over people do not need.

We really need to stop paying for this kind of complete and utter nonsense.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you on this - however the service does exist. Usually with a live person on the line (from my - one-time experience).

One time - one time only - I was auditioning for something huge - and wanted a sanity check on the audition. The connection started out badly, and once we got connected, it just felt weird.

I have a new agent in LA who - if he feels that you are not connecting with the copy the way that he thinks you should be - but he knows you have it in you - will send it back with that admonition. He has only done this once, but it made me realize that I am probably hitting the mark with 99% of my auditions.

If we are not confident in our ability to connect with a piece of copy, then we should probably not be auditioning for it. If we have to constantly go to someone else for confirmation of our abilities, then we are probably not ready to be let out on our own.

I can see that there may be some value for someone just figuring out where they fit - the cost is low enough - but the end result may not be an actual submittable audition, but a coaching class instead.
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with both Connie and Philip.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we are not confident in our ability to connect with a piece of copy, then we should probably not be auditioning for it.

this.

also - as i think about --- there are a dozen folks within these very (virtual) walls who i would trust more with a review of an audition than a paid stranger.

just sayin'

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a total conflict of interest. And I sent a note to Erik with my concerns.

That said, I don’t think his intent is unethical. But this business model is. No agent can/should charge to critique an audition. Even if done as a separate business entity. Erik is an agent, and this is wrong.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Marice does this and it costs a whole lot more!

The only thing I can think of is if a really big dollar audition is being sent to a number of agents and the particular person doing the review ends up as being one of the agents submitting talent - that could get dicey.

Marice is not an agent.

Here’s a scenario. An actor sends an audition to be critiqued by an agent. The agent also got the same copy and sent to their own talent. Think their talent would be pleased the agent is critiquing the competition? What if the agent critique wrong just so their own actors have an advantage? There are too many wrong possibilities here which is why it’s a conflict of interest.

Now, I’m not accusing VO Review of doing this. But the union forbids this business model to ensure no unethical agent can take advantage of an actor. The only fees an agent can take is commission. They cannot, even under a different business, charge to critique auditions.

As chair of the Hollywood VO Committee at the union I had to make them aware of this new business venture.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who are routinely auditioning more than once a day probably have no inner Quality Control Chip. Not really their fault, more the fault of the email blast agents. How badly does an agent, casting director or VO manager have to suck to not know, based on specs "That's a job for Dave, possibly Bob and I'll suggest Philip as a wild card"?

There exists an inexplicable obsession with auditioning which is why we have, in our business, come to the point of paying someone out of the loop to assess our suitability based on no knowledge of the specifics. Without talking to a decision maker they could not possibly know. Got a spare $10? Buy a lottery ticket.

Here's the solution. I know it'll be ignored (again), but it really, really works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_iG7Veupc
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all need a critique (or a sanity check) sometimes. I have a good relationship with another VO-BB member who will give me an honest critique based on knowing my capabilities. This is a two-way street and works well between us because we have an understanding that there is no sugar-coating and no fear of hurting someone's feelings. Again, this is based on knowing each other's capabilities. Peer-mentoring sounds a bit highfalutin, but it works.

Maurice has been mentioned, but it's my understanding that she only offers this service to talent she is familiar with (please correct me if I'm mistaken), so she knows the person and has a familiarity with their capabilities.... and as has been noted, she is a coach, not an agent.

I agree with Bob on this. While the intentions may be good, it is straying heavily into a large ethical grey area.

Whether it is explicitly stated or not, if I receive a script from an agent, it is not mine to share. I actually think most (professional) VOs understand this... and the fact is that it's not just an understanding between the agent and the VO. There are people up the chain... the producer, the copywriter, the client, etc. there is a burden of responsibility to honour the process.

I can't help but think this is aimed at the P2P players who are scrabbling around trying to stand out in a highly competitive race (i.e. cattle call). The irony is that agents (rightfully) see P2P sites as eroding their business... yet here's a chargeable service to help a VO succeed with them. I may be off the mark with that, but it does seem possible.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Maurice has been mentioned, but it's my understanding that she only offers this service to talent she is familiar with (please correct me if I'm mistaken), so she knows the person and has a familiarity with their capabilities.... and as has been noted, she is a coach, not an agent.

Peter,

That is correct.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: