VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry or fully produced? and..why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Dry or fully produced? and..why? Reply with quote

I was chatting with Jen Gosnell about this tonight and thought I'd post one of our topics - in case anyone might have an opinion here.

We have heard for the past several years that elearning, medical, (and...??) demos are usually dry. But - so many things in VO have changed over the last several years - is this one of them? Are these genres tending to be fully produced now? If so...why? (other than giving demo producers more demos to produce Ninja )

And - what is the reasoning FOR dry demos? If they are to be representative of the finished product - why wouldn't they be fully produced, just as commercial, promo, etc? Is the assumption that the target recipient doesn't want to hear production values - and if so - why not?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the final product is usually dry, such as instructional medical narration and e-learning, then your demo cuts should be too. I heard a medical demo once with fairly “happy” music cuts behind it and it was freaky weird.

I narrate some videos with well animated shots of blood and cell interactions with various drugs and molecules and they put long, sweeping music drones and soft and ethereal sounds behind it, custom backgrounds that most of us wouldn’t have, and that seems to work. But I’d say avoid making your demo sound weird to an experienced ear. Dry is a safe choice for these type of demos.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bruce.

My belief is that the use of music in what can be very long audio productions such as medical and other eLearning would be hugely cost-prohibitive (not only for usage rights but for the time required to select and mix it with voice tracks), unless used very sparingly, such as under brief role-play situations, topic segues, etc. It could also be seen as a distraction. (In my opinion, with little to no experience in the subtleties of audio production, too many video editors and those who assemble other forms of audio/visual productions tend to mix music levels way too high, creating a distraction. The voice-over/narration carries the message, making it the focal point, not the music.)

In addition to that reason, and that casting directors, producers, etc. want at least some samples of just our voices, free of any other elements, that I completely understand why demos for medical and other eLearning genres should be dry. Like anything else, audio production can also be overdone. It's nice to have a break.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dry or fully produced? and..why? Reply with quote

Kim Fuller wrote:
Is the assumption that the target recipient doesn't want to hear production values - and if so - why not?

Well, they probably aren't hiring you for production, right?

On the other hand, a brilliantly-produced real spot is a great showpiece.
And--
The sad fact is that a lot of people casting for commercial voices have near zero imagination. That's why we are all doing so many auditions.

My game vox demo is dry and all the directors I know appreciate that.
They all know what can be done to a voice... what they want to hear is the raw material.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dry or fully produced? and..why? Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Kim Fuller wrote:
Is the assumption that the target recipient doesn't want to hear production values - and if so - why not?

Well, they probably aren't hiring you for production, right?

This is true. Though the same could be said for commercial or promo.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about Commercial demos!

(I mentioned the game demo as an example of another kind of dry demo)

Promos are another bag entirely, O my goodness, yes.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry Deebs. I mistook your meaning Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: