VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So.... About the social media.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: So.... About the social media. Reply with quote

How much social media promotion (if any) is necessary to build your VO business?

Should I have them all? Do I need them all? Do I really need any?

In my personal life, I spend a tad too much time on Facebook for my comfort. I like to stay connected with my peeps. It's easy to do so. I'm a big fan of the "unfollow" option to keep negativity, politics, and just stuff that brings a person down to a minimum on my feed, Even though that has made a difference, I still sometimes fantasize about life before social media. I'm 37(ish), so I 'member. Smile

I love gleaning knowledge, info, and relationships in the VO industry from Facebook. That's pretty cool. LinkedIN is good too.

But do I need to create and maintain business profiles on InstaTwittTumblSnapTube? I realize I don't HAVE to but would it being doing a disservice to myself not to?
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, this may depend on your focus. Ulf has just finished a course with Sean Pratt and has found that social media posting is crucial for audiobook narration. I was assisting him with that until recently (got my own marketing to do now).

But I think it isn't nearly as crucial for some, depending on what branch of the VO world they occupy.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick one and build that one, then go to another one...and so on IF you want to.

I am not a Twitter person. I have n account, but don't do much with it. I have a lot more fun with Instagram.
Facebook is where a lot of my connections are maintained on a more frequent basis.

Like I said...pick one that you like and run with that if you want to.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the tricks I gather is to make "friends" mostly with people who can hire you or refer you, not your actual friends, family, and neighbors. That's why a separate work account would be good.

Yours truly, a captain of the obvious

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most social media business accounts are run by a dedicated person and are not particularly fruitful by just connecting with them. You have to find the person you WANT to connect with and follow each other so you are remembered when you need something the other has.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That's funny, Bruce...I have a single account on each platform.
I am connected with many of my clients on FB as well as friends.
I don't have the bandwidth to manage two accounts on each platform.

I just stay away from all Religion & Politics posts Smile

Lesson here: do what works for you Smile
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no facebook
no twitter
personal instagram with a mixture of dog pics & offensive memes
linked-in for business

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in session with someone and get along well, follow them on Twitter and interact as a friend. If that works well, friend them elsewhere. Your objective is to build an actual friendship where there is no hesitation when the invite for a beer comes up.

Personally, I'm not much for spamming a bunch of people after a job. For some it works. It's just not for me.

If you're in animation, the trend is building that a large following may get you the job over being the best for a part.

That said...

Be careful of the subject matter you post about. Sometimes potential clients will deep search you to make sure you're a stable human being who's behavior will not come back to bite them. Think I'm kidding? The very same week I was in callbacks with a very large client, someone from the company found me here on the vo-bb and clicked through to my site.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the fact that someone will always tell you they met a client or got a job from Faceplant our Pinterest... the simple answer as far as I'm concerned is... not at all... nada... zip. Oh, and I don't class VO-BB as social media per se.

To be more specific... I have used social media to keep a conversation active with people whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person... and these people have been generous in their recommendations over the years... but it's because they know me IRL (as the kids say). Social media has its place and I quite often enjoy a discussion... but as a career tool? ... Not unless you're trying to sell shite to other VOs... then it's an absolute must because they are all clamoring for people to throw money at. If I were selling coaching, demos, business classes, yoga for VO, etc., I'd be all over social media (and believe me... they are). Not to be cynical, but the biggest supporters of social media as a business tool, are those selling stuff... and they need their audience to be big!
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the middle, I suppose. I post some job stuff, but not too much, and never one of those "you'll never guess what I did" things before the product is out; and definitely never ever "you'll never guess what I auditioned for" things which at worst get people in trouble. Do I think it matters to my "career" (sorry for the quotes, the word just seems a bit fraught these days). Not much. It *might* lend me more credibility with people who are unfamiliar with what I've done, but I seriously doubt they are looking for talent on Facebook (except, as Dan notes, to disqualify the overzealous and foolhardy). I consider the Socials a fun thing to do and a place to brag a bit. If I approach it from a professional standpoint, it's mostly what I *don't* do that factors into my decisions, since like others here I avoid political stuff (which consists of 99% unoriginal ranting) and talking negatively about clients etc., which frankly I can't believe people still do despite all the clear warnings.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are Non-Union, my opinion is you definitely should have Linked In. It can be a valuable tool. I've never been hired from my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, but I have been hired off of Linked In. I am also a big fan of the "Unfollow" feature of Facebook. I "Follow" very few people. YMMV:-)
audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome insights. Thanks, guys. I'll stick with what I'm comfortable with and do what works for me. Smile
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gram as the youngins say has gotten me a gig or two, as well as linkedin, FB as well via references from other VO folks.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FB account is for keeping up with family. I don't include clients or anyone work related since I don't really want them inside my family circle, just as they don't want me inside theirs.
And realizing that very few clients or potential clients would actually have any interest in my postings on Twitter or Instagram and, instead, rely on talent agent generated sites to find talent, I leave those things up to my agent, and pay an annual fee to cover all internet related marketing.
Also, I can't think of a single job I've ever gotten as a result of social media (that I'm aware of). But I can think of many that resulted from the client listening to demo reels on the agency web site. Often a new client will reference something on the demo that they want replicated. And I can think of countless more that came from the old school method of auditioning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: