VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Video Content on VO Website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you do?
Ask for permission from the end-client first. (i.e. don't post any)
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Post full videos without permission. (who even looks at my website!??)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Post edited videos so they don't resemble full videos.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Using Video Content on VO Website Reply with quote

I'm wondering how many of you use video content of any kind to promote your VO work on your websites.
Do you post entire videos? Or perhaps edit them together into 'demo' style samples related to separate categories? (explainer, product, promo, gaming, etc.)
Do you post them without express written permission from the end client?

I ask after farming past jobs from YouTube with the thought of doing this myself, if they would even care that I did. I know full well this is their paid-for content. Have any of you reached out to end clients yourself to ask for permission for such self promo use? I don't want to lose a client if they should discover I'm reaching out to get said permission from an end client. At the same time I'd clearly like to show some of the work I've done as finished product.

Thanks for your expertise oh wise ones!! (I jest not)

J

(Don't listen to me, I'm new here.)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a bit of each. If the videos appear on a widely public platform (i.e. FaceTubes) I feel free to download it and use it. I am sure to include language to the effect of "no copyright infringement intended", and I have never had a problem.

In cases of videos that are kept on their limited websites I will ask for a copy and permission. So far, no troubles.

All of my videos are full length. I'm presuming any viewer can hit the "back" button whenever they've seen enough. I've not done a compilation video where editing would be important.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YouTube Channel has a lot of full videos - either uploaded by me after getting copies from the client, or links to where they have the videos posted on YouTube.

I don't get extra permission when the video has been posted on YouTube by the client. And so far, I have not had anyone ask me to shut down a link. Now, I do have to check them every so often, because a couple have been taken down by the client.

A few of the pieces on my YouTube channel have been edited down a bit - while I agree with Bruce that the viewer could stop the video, there are times when my VO is scattered throughout.

The same holds true for my website - some full when they are short - and some edited down.

I also have edited pieces on my YouTube channel into a sort of showcase (in fact I cut a new one every year just for a showcase hosted by a local production association).
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Bruce and Connie, helpful advice!

Best, J

Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Connie. If it's on YouTube or Vimeo, and especially if the production house is showcasing it, I go ahead and add it to my spiffy wordpress YouTube carousel on my front page, and I have a separate page for Vimeo videos.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bruce said, a combination of all three. Ask for a copy for your site. If there's no push back, post away. Also, keep in mind there's a big difference between publicly posting on Youtube and your personal site. Due to Youtube's algorithms, you may accidentally cause conflict between their copy of the spot and yours.

Here's another the thing, editors and producers use our voices all the time to showcase their work, especially in promo and trailer. Do they ask us? Nope. Personally, I think it's an honor they believe the work is strong enough to spotlight.

And that brings up the most important question to ask yourself before posting something: is it demo worthy? Posting work that doesn't present your skills at their best will only work against you; even if it's for a well known brand. Producers want consistency and if they hear a difference between the performances on your demo and real world work, guess which one they will expect if they hire you.

Last edited by Dan-O on Thu May 09, 2019 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Dan-O, very true.

I've determined that the best way to go about it is to use only my best work under "fair use" and if worst case I do get push back simply remove it. No biggie.

Thanks folks

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of warning:

Even videos posted to Facebook or other platforms can be subject to licensing restrictions. I once posted a video from Facebook on my page and it got a lot of traction. My agent then learned the video was under an exclusive license for Facebook only. They hadn't mentioned this, and prior videos with these fine folks hadn't been restricted, so there was no blowback--but I did feel stupid and won't be making that mistake again. So like Dan says, always ask if there is any fog around the matter.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great point about sharing from social media - if those are exclusive paid campaigns one shouldn't share it.

That's why I stick to YouTube or Vimeo.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rely on links to client websites or their YouTube channels for stuff you want to showcase on your website.
Pull down a copy of that vid and put it in your own channel on Vimeo (my preferred) or YouTube.

You never know when that stuff might disappear.
JVOICE
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. Get it while it's hot. Put it on your own Vimeo/YouTube acct for faster loading times though. Smile

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people new to lifting videos off the web:

Because the Chrome browser is made by Google, which owns YouTube, they do not offer a browser extension (app) that allows you to download a video from YT. Firefox however, and probably other browsers, do have those extensions that work within your YT viewer page. It's slick.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: