VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique of my Commercial Demo-May 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They either like you or they don't. They either want you or they don't. If they are unsure they may ask you to audition, in which case ensure that there is enough money on the table. New rule for me is that the audition is my minimum fee $350 + $350 should I get the job. Simply put I will not audition for a job paying less than $700. No one would apply for a job lasting 1 hour but we would apply for a job paying enough to keep us going for a week.

My first combined TV/radio commercial campaign paid a fortune and I got the job based on a two word sound clip on my demo. You don't know what you don't know and the demo production experts know a great deal less. VO people spend a fortune in cash and many sleepless night trying to influence serendipity.

Serendipity - the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

My opinion (critique) of your demo, of anyone's demo - INVALUELESS.

Take that demo and start making sales calls. Now is a good time to do it because most VO people are hiding behind blogs, websites, P2P, pointless auditions, social media, conventions, training, coaches, demo producers, CRM et al. We are great at talking to ourselves but we suck at having meaningful conversations with the people who matter to our businesses.

I know where I am welcome and where I am not. I waste no time on the latter.

Your demo is good enough to get you work, go fetch.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Is it terrible that I read "sleeping for voice jobs"

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Your demo is good enough to get you work, go fetch.
People become obsessed with demos and see them as the keys to the kingdom. While it's important to have something that demonstrates your range and ability (and, er... what your voice actually sounds like)... they are not magical things that will cause an avalanche of work. The VO does that, and the demo is your audible business card. Or so it should be...

... the problem is that we've created an industry where the demo has been elevated into something magical... and an end unto itself. The talent can now get an award for their demo at a posh-frock event... as can their producer (please tell me when an unknown actor gets an Oscar or Emmy for their demo reel). I am really disturbed by the predatory nature of the VO business. There's a whole raft of people convincing talent (not just the newcomers) that they need new, fresh (and multiple) demos. There are countless aspirational VOs who will spend more on demos in one year than they ever have a hope of recovering in five.

The mantra is, "You must put your best foot forward and showcase yourself properly, otherwise you will not survive in the marketplace." when in reality, the truth is you must get more and better demos so that the demo producers can buy their massive yachts. Oh... and don't forget all the coaching you'll need before making the demos... the poor coaches need yachts as well (but that's an issue for another day).
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Take that demo and start making sales calls. Now is a good time to do it because most VO people are hiding behind blogs, websites, P2P, pointless auditions, social media, conventions, training, coaches, demo producers, CRM et al. We are great at talking to ourselves but we suck at having meaningful conversations with the people who matter to our businesses.

You have nailed it, sir. Fear is the real enemy, not the "wrong" demo.

I know it, because I have lived it.

www.karynobryant.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: