VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limiter software for the apollo pre when doing animated?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Limiter software for the apollo pre when doing animated? Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I've got a bit of a snag for when I'm working on either audiobooks or on animated (Cartoons / Video Games)-- There's too much variety in the volume of the character's voices! (Especially animated where they want lots of contrast in delivery)

Since Im' using a UA apollo Mk 2 Twin Duo and they have all of those presets, does anybody have a good one with a limiter they can recommend and the approximate paramaters they put into it for this kind of thing?

Thankyou friends!

-Ian
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seriously consider having one of the Tech Brainz like George Whittam dial something in for you, but for what it's worth, I use the UAD Teletronix LA-2A g for a lot of recording. I'd attach a screenshot but that's prohibitively difficult here, so I can tell you that the dials are at about L:38, R:35. But that would change with your setup.

Keep in mind, though, that I don't do much shouting, as most of my work is in the "pull it back, more, you're still pushing" range, so I would take this information for what's it worth, which is a very low number.[/img]
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is you do as little processing as possible when sending audio off to be produced. Let them worry about that. Send them clean, non-distorted files (you control the record volume) at -6 dB or less.

To be honest I do add some processing sometimes to see how it might sound in the final, but the I pull it before sending it.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thankyou- even for say, cartoon auditions or videogames?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean and clear only.

"Dave, here's your coffee. I didn't know if you took sugar so I only added a little"
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For videogame/animation auditions, there's no rule against two passes with proper levels on both and then cutting it together.

I have some light dynamics processing for things which are inadvertently bumping in the -0 dB range. That can save stuff which is on the edge of being crunchy. But that's a quick preset in post. I run everything in with no inbound processing. You are baking it in, so you have to get it right.

Bear in mind that the harder you push a Limiter by having too much signal go in, the more apparent the effect will be. Best practice is to modulate volume at the source (turning a bit off mic or other mechanical solutions for louder bits).

And it's very easy to set all that stuff up too aggressively.

Depending upon when and how you bought your Apollo, you might have some premium Unison plug-ins, such as the Manley VoxBox, which is a nice piece of kit. But, in the stock Analog bundle, you might play with the LA2A. (Just saw Jack mentioned that as well.)
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim edgar wrote:
For videogame/animation auditions, there's no rule against two passes with proper levels on both and then cutting it together.

Bear in mind that the harder you push a Limiter by having too much signal go in, the more apparent the effect will be. Best practice is to modulate volume at the source (turning a bit off mic or other mechanical solutions for louder bits).

And it's very easy to set all that stuff up too aggressively.

What the man said! If you're doing non-video/animation/screaming stuff, leave everything off. Even your computer.

OK not your computer.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only processing I do for games is to DeClick with Izotope RX. The studios have their own secret sauce they prefer to apply.

When I know I will have a wildly dynamic range in a session, I will record with 2 mics at the same time-- a dynamic and a condenser. If it's too low for the dynamic, the condenser picks it up just fine; if the condenser clips, the dynamic captures it with no trouble.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see little wrong in adding some EQ and compression/limiting to auditions just so long as they're not super artificial. The end product is usually very engineered so heading in that direction may not be bad.

I also would add modest improvements to an audiobook audition so it will sound something like a finished book. If someone else is editing and mastering then raw is best. Now if you're mastering following Audible rules you will be compressing and normalizing the poop out of that stuff so it's kind of a moot point.

I've always been amazed that Audible insists you record "room noise" and use this to fill gaps in the audio. If you compress and limit like they want it done, there's no way in heck you'll ever hear any room noise... just pure, compressed voice.

B

jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

I've always been amazed that Audible insists you record "room noise" and use this to fill gaps in the audio. If you compress and limit like they want it done, there's no way in heck you'll ever hear any room noise... just pure, compressed voice.

OTOH... much of the stuff I get sent from newer audiobook narrators has so much compression / make-up gain wired up that the room noise is often as loud as the voice... Wink
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim edgar wrote:
.... the room noise is often as loud as the voice... Wink

Then they're doing it wrong. Poor sound deadening in their space, poor microphone or mic placement, bad mastering skills.

I remember in the early days of self recorded audiobooks hearing a lot of computer cooling fans. That too shouldn't be a problem anymore.

B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: