VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy National Disc Jockey Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Happy National Disc Jockey Day Reply with quote

We've got stacks of wax, tons of tunes, and pounds of sounds for ya this Sunday cause it's the 20th is the above named day!! Anybody celebrating?

I just remember dreaming about being a deejay during my teens, and then during my 10+ year career in the biz they were mostly heady days.

It's not true for everyone I guess, but that route plus the on-camera acting I did really helped me transition into VO.

Anyone else start in radio? Did it help or hurt you getting into voiceover?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
dshetterly
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've upped our wattage... now up yours!

My 23 years in radio gave me that "announcery" style that I've been spending the last 10 trying to shed. But hey - I have a killer radio t-shirt collection and saw some awesome concerts for free. Now, about the tinnitus...
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who celebrate.

I started in radio almost 50 years ago (Yikes!). Actually, it was even longer than that with campus stations in high school and college, beginning in 1967, but the first job for pay ($2 an hour) was June '69.

In some ways, the "radio announcer" was always just a character, so it's not something I've had to spend years getting away from. Besides, in '78, I transitioned from on-air DJ or newscaster to production guy, and that was great preparation for the VO career.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice

Last edited by Lee Gordon on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in radio part-time (while holding down a full-time job and trying to balance a family) for 12 years, in a variety of formats. I was on-air and also handled production chores when they were available. I've done editing with a grease pencil and razor blade...and was thrilled with the transition to digital production in the mid-late 1990s, especially when it came to recording phoners on Vox-Pro. The big downside to the advent of this new technology was the elimination of on-air jobs, particularly part-timers. I left "the biz" on my own accord in 2001 but tried years later to get back in with the help of an old radio-buddy. No dice. That led to my journey into the voiceover world.

Working in radio definitely gave me an edge with audio editing, recording and post-production, but the "announcer syndrome" was definitely an issue starting out.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have respect for anybody who can use one of these:

... or knows what this is.

bonus points -

ever throw the WRONG 5" piece of tape in the 3 foot wide pile of 5" pieces of tape on the production room floor? i'll bet lee has.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That there's the EDITall S-3 splicing block, used with single-edge razor blades to edit 1/4" magnetic audiotape, optimally having only a single track of signal (monaural, recorded the full width of the tape). It can also be used for half-track professional stereo recordings with decent results.

While the 90-degree groove is used to simply attach leader tape to audiotape, the 45-degree groove is used for the actual editing of audio. The reason being, as the microscopic gap in the tape heads is at a 90-degree angle (straight up and down), a thump would be heard as the 90-degree splice passed over the play head because it perfectly matches the head gap. A cut of 45-degrees, however, will pass over the 90-degree head gap more gradually (albeit still fairly quickly), reducing or eliminating the chance of any extraneous noise.

Editing was done by slowly moving the tape back and forth (aka rocking) over the play head until the correct spot was heard (a good editor has to know what he's listening to and what to listen for). That point on the tape was then typically marked with a grease pencil or china marker. A second edit point, usually further into the recording, was located and similarly marked. The editor would roughly cut the tape between the two edit points and then press the two lengths of tape into the splicing block, with one of the marked edit points aligned on top of the other, mid-way in the edit groove. Placing one corner of a sharp razor blade into the top of the groove, a swift cut was made, slicing both pieces of tape simultaneously. A dull blade and/or an apprehensive cut usually resulted in a ruined and irreparable edit. The unwanted portions of tape were pulled out of the splicing block and discarded. The two cut ends of the tape still in the splicing block were then slid away from the groove and butted tightly against each other without overlap. A piece of adhesive splicing tape (about a half-inch) would be laid over the edit point and pressed firmly to secure the edit. The edited tape was removed from the splicing block and auditioned.

From this process came the adage that still lives today: "The best edits are the ones nobody hears."

The photo below shows a later model splicing block, replacing the 90-degree groove with one of a steeper angle (I believe it's 78-degrees), which is designed for editing tapes having up to four tracks.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultural differences:
I was once having a conversation with an American contemporary regarding the magic and mystery of tape. I was never a DJ or in radio production... but spent a lot of time splicing tape for... well, because I'm sad and enjoyed making tape loops and musique concrete.

I was waxing eloquent about the joys of a good chinagraph pencil and he had no idea what I was talking about. "Oh, a grease pencil!" he eventually exclaimed.

Bloody colonials.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i'll bet lee has.

Uh, maybe.

I used to have a length of board with a row of clothespins attached to it, and I would clip each length of tape to a pin, in order, and with the heads all in the same orientation, so losing one in the pile on the floor was not really an issue. On the other hand, running over one with my chair ...

Bish wrote:
I was waxing eloquent about the joys of a good chinagraph pencil and he had no idea what I was talking about. "Oh, a grease pencil!" he eventually exclaimed.

Waxing. I see what you did there. We Yanks do call them grease pencils. However, if you read what's written in the pencil itself, you'll see it's called a "china marker."

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always said "china pencil" --- so i guess i'm a special kind of slow.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see DJs getting their day. It's kinda like the pool scene in Caddy Shack.

/so, whatever happened to International Voiceover Month? Did they finally come to the realization no one really cares?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:

/so, whatever happened to International Voiceover Month? Did they finally come to the realization no one really cares?

The people/person who invented it probably saw no meaningful increase in work for themself/ves.

It's all about time and resources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrH88PtHkI0
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a LOT of people out there who deserve an agressive headbutt

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i chose a day to celebrate VO it would be March 31. Just to give most people a day to figure out it's a joke.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i have respect for anybody who can use one of these:

... or knows what this is.

bonus points -

ever throw the WRONG 5" piece of tape in the 3 foot wide pile of 5" pieces of tape on the production room floor? i'll bet lee has.

Nope, I never did that. Allegedly.

I also never edited the wrong piece of tape in. And then had to peel the splicing tape off very carefully before putting the correct piece back in. Allegedly.

More bonus points if you used to keep the razor blade in your mouth while rocking the reels and (China) marking the tape.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this actually makes me want to splice some tape --- like build a foghat concert promo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: