VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VocalBoothToGo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: VocalBoothToGo? Reply with quote

Anyone using a VocalBoothToGo?
Was gonna post this on the 'alibaba' thread but didn't want to hijack it.
I'm in need of sound isolation. I was gonna build my own but damn if that doesn't look like a pain in the a**.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the most expensive Studio Bricks booth fails to deliver unless it's in a quiet room with the 48db pad turned on. VO people who claim otherwise either have cloth ears or they are not being completely honest to hide their disappointment.

Best option. Build your own or get someone to do it for you.

I've posted this elsewhere. Untreated, this is the sound of my "wee huttie" with the door open.

The only thing I did with my mic (Neumann U87 Circa 1975) was stand in front of it.

https://soundcloud.com/philip-banks/designer-shed
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get mine to sound like that, but every time I speak into the mic, it comes out sounding like me, and not like Philip.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you're in need of isolation... and this is a totally separate issue from treatment. Most commercial booths are a compromise between size, weight, cost, and sex appeal. Treatment is a massive issue that can take up whole graduate courses and even with a bright shiny master's degree in audio booth interior decorating, you still won't be able to prove your point on Facebook.

Isolation, on the other hand, is easy. Distance and mass. If you're far enough away from the offending sound source, there is no problem... if not, you simply have to block that stuff with stuff that blocks it. One (or two) sheets of half-inch plywood ain't gonna do it... a couple of inches of sheetrock stuck together with magic Harry Potter brand glue might be getting close depending on the size of the problem. You need to block the physical path between the offending sound source and the microphone. My favourite sound blocker is concrete. It scoffs at plywood and throws a superior sneer towards acoustic bricks.

Build a concert bunker. Just remember the door... which, for preference, should also be made of concrete.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Build your own or get someone to do it for you.

I've tried 'em all, booth-wise, and the above statement is simple truth. I have treated the bejebus out mine and it still needs some help (read: a light touch of downward expansion) when I use my U87. I just don't have enough mass in to allow me to go full commando. And this is in a very quiet space.

As Bish says, single-wall booths are useless unless you are already in a very quiet environment.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
concrete.

My old studio in Washington was a room in my unfinished basement that had concrete walls. With a few pieces of carpet in the right places it sounded prettttty good. Most extraneous noise was blocked out so the room (8x14) had plenty of space to move around and get loud if needed.
So... Yes to concrete.

On vacations to Jamaica I found the limestone caves in Negril to be acoustically very nice too. Verrrrry quiet with practically no reverb or echo at all. Almost like a movie theater. Some resorts in the cliff area have small caves just beneath where in days of old smugglers and pirates would hide. #Prettycool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: