VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chuck n Stacy show
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: The Chuck n Stacy show Reply with quote

This week they had four(estimate) awesome VO managers who are awesome and vo managers. They are the cream of the top of our industry by being both cream and top, all three (revised estimate) of them.

AWESOME!

I listened to the noise they made but didn't hear them say anything of any REAL value.

My most recent experience of noise was J Michael Collins and his "audio guy" being interviewed by the charming and excessively Handsome Dan Lennard.

Dan, in effect asked "Why you?"

They both talked.
I waited for me to react with "Oh yeah, THAT!"

Didn't happen.

If I am ever going to make serious money from VO people I have got to stop making sense.

Here goes.

"Take your career to the next level with my Banana technique demo class seminar conference!"

CUE Chuck n Stacy

"AWESOME!" plus that weird thing they do with the fingers which I'm pretty certain is the sign of the Devil.
graemespicer
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just snorted my coffee out through my nose. Thanks Philip.

Lol

Member of the World-Voices Executive Board

tel • (416) 716-2246
email • graeme@graemespicer.com
graemespicer.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOBuzz Weekly is over 300 interviews with top vo actors, agents, casting directors, and producers. It’s a master class where anyone who cares to understand and research professional vo can do so from the comfort of their home for free! It’s invaluable for those seeking representation from the agents interviewed, as they spell out what they demand from new talent. Casting directors and producers sharing insight on trends, their style, and tidbits on how to cater auditions that get their attention. Of course each episode won’t float everone’s boat. And the interview style might not be your thing. But if you are smart you will be able to sift through and drink in the value of these opportunities.

......did I mention that it’s free????

There are so many “mills” and charlatans out there I think it’s important to not lump the good with the unethical. And take a lesson from the professional vo industry which I have been a part of for over 35 years. Support your fellow professionals, don’t mock them.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should, for the most part, mock them, subject them to personal ridicule, have them transported to somewhere very cold, damp, dark and make them eat the Sporrans of long departed Scotsmen.

People who are secure in themselves, with their abilities and the benefits of their "sharing" will laugh at the jokes, may be join in the ragging (sending up) and then focus on the really valuable stuff, if indeed there is any. 90% of the time there is (in terms of real value) no one home

Whilst I insist on making fun there is a serious side. Cheerleaders and enthusiasts for the most part are not equipped to buy selectively and suffer quietly as a consequence. I don't preach but within the the past few weeks I did make a couple car payments for one and not for the first time.

What we also need Bob's opinion and knowledge for editorial balance. it is certainly appreciated by me, very much.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
And the interview style might not be your thing.

Unfortunately, it's "not my thing" to the extent that it causes actual physical pain. I'm sure that it appeals to many... to people who can filter the good information from the morass of banality and super-hyped enthusiasm (Bob's point)... and to people who just love that type of thing because it's "showbiz" and they want to be a part of it.

There is also a small cultural element here... call it cynicism if you like, but this sort of stuff doesn't travel well... and maybe that's the point. This is Hollywood for those who like it, or at least, can tolerate it.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
the morass of banality and super-hyped enthusiasm

Makes me cringe. I can't take it. Wherever it appears.

Dave Waters
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like going to the zoo. It's kind of like that. But, louder.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken what I wanted from it and left the rest....its like a salad bar.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...its like a salad bar.

Ummm. Bacon bits...
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did talk radio for 15 years in Miami. The vast majority of the callers loved the show and were contributors. Once in a while we’d get someone who wanted to share their distaste. We had a saying that consisted of eight words. ‘If you don’t like it, turn it off’.

It worked well then and it still works today.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk radio, especially the shows which invite callers as opposed to "today we're interviewing" make me switch off in an instantaneous instant, sometimes with added fasterness. Not my thing. The dumbing down of the media. lack of editorial balance and the Press Release replacing the Journalist all lead to one thing, the end of the world, 2030 GMT this Thursday. I'm fine, have enough red wine and cheese for the event.

The point of my original post, apart from trying to get a laugh, was not about good, bad or indifferent. It was not about taste, it was not about the two genial hosts or their businessmen guests. It was about lack of valuable content, information and all the other things people who peddle in our business claim to bring to the party.

Cheerleaders bring a lot of fun to a football game but no team ever came top of the league because of them.

Generally speaking, it is unusual for professional cheerleaders to earn more than a few thousand dollars per season, and a typical NFL cheerleader probably averages around $10 or less per hour over the course of a season. Meanwhile, the average NFL player’s annual salary is over $2 million, according to Forbes, and the NFL generates about $14 billion in revenues per year lately, up from $8 billion in 2010.

I'm a player and I often write about the state of our game. OK, now I'm going to give 110% and take things to the next level. I'm focused and driven. The endzone is in site .......

"Now we've got Dave on the line"

"Hi Phil. What 'bout them immigrants?"
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone's upset they haven't been invited as a guest! Wink

They have to "sell the guest," especially since agents and casting directors are not Scarlett Johansson, are not known to the public and are not "sexy." Being on the internet, there's a huge chance the audience will quickly switch to another tab and watch a video of a cat befriending a rhinoceros. So they have to be a bit over the top and say, "This person is interesting! We swear!"

I've watched several episodes. The gist is, "Send us one minute of your best stuff, be brief in your correspondence, and don't call us, we'll call you." Who knew?!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them my idea "Never pay more that $37 for a VO demo" and waited for my invitation.

NOTHING!

Simply do not understand why?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art wrote:
They have to "sell the guest," ... So they have to be a bit over the top ...
There's the rub. It's all about the marketing push... grab the eyeballs because there are too many competitors now. How do you stand out?. There has been an inexorable increase in the use of exaggeration & hyperbole (as well as blatant lies) that has become the accepted norm in the media industry (any branch). There is a truism that says, "If America sneezes, Britain catches a cold." ... so I'm claiming no high-ground here... the UK media does the same thing because (for some reason I just can't fathom) they like to copy their US counterparts. Sensibilities are being assaulted all over, and people seem to like it (yay woot awesome)... in fact, I totally accept that some people actually love it because they've been so skillfully conditioned and well trained in the art of daytime TV... (it's the "get excited and pee-my-pants like they did during Beatlemania" school of hysteria). To me, it's like someone fed a two-pound bag of sugar to an already hyper-active ten-year old.

It's there... it's a thing I can ignore. But it seems to be spilling out into how people conduct their business - because they try and channel the hyperbole (yay woot awesome) and present themselves to the world like that. The problem is that most don't understand the concept of marketing one iota, and just end up annoying other VOs. It's OK I can ignore it for the most part... but then someone mentions a bloody unicorn and I lose it Smile

I really need to stop looking at VO-BB before the first coffee has kicked-in. I can't be trusted with a keyboard before 9am.
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unicorn comment actually made me snort.

www.karynobryant.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: